It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is FBI Spying On City Halls?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Thursday, May 25th, 2006 Local headline here in the Oregonian reads "Potter says FBI tried to spy on City Hall". An FBI agent directly approached a female city employee without his supervisor's knowledge or direction to gather information in a conversation that lasted about five minutes. He asked wether she knew members on the City Council and if she would pass along information relating to people who work for city government. Our mayor, Tom Potter, in the absence of any "reasonable suspicion of wrong-doing" by the city, felt the FBI agent's "actions smack of Big Brother" and therefore was his duty to bring the incident to the public for debate.

www.oregonlive.com
"FBI Special Agent Jeffrey Pritchett approached the city employee, whom neither the mayor nor federal officials identified, on May 11. The agent and the employee work out at the same downtown gym and had crossed paths at a Starbucks, Nielsen said. The agent's supervisors did not know he planned to approach the city employee directly.
"The conversation lasted no more than five minutes: Pritchett introduced himself, offered his badge and business card, and explained that although he typically focused on national security and terrorism, public corruption and white-collar crime were also Justice Department priorities."
..."'There are things going on in our country, in terms of collecting information on citizens here in the United States, that I think should be a concern to every citizen,' Potter said as three stern-faced city council members stood behind him. 'I believe those are very importnat issues that we should be discussing first in this city and, I hope, around our country. Is this the right thing to do? Do we want the federal government to be spying on groups, peoples, or governments where there is no clear criminal connection?'"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This, after a congressional office was raided earlier in the week. See next to last URL below for those details. Also on the heels of phone companies and other data processing companies complying with the NSA in defiance of the Telecommunications Act. Our mayor has given me, a citizen and voting constituent, the authority to bring this issue before the discussion boards. This is my analysis, vandalism of the Fourth Amendment and combination of powers as the all important discussion topic. How many other city halls out there are having informants placed within them? Where are you? Come out into the light and tell us who and where you are. We are your citizens and voters.

Related News Links:
www.oregonlive.com
www.portlandonline.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Bush Allowed NSA to Spy on U.S. International Calls

[edit on 26-5-2006 by Matyas]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
its becoming increasingly harder to trust who is or isnt on the publics side anymore, and whos even telling the truth. I wonder whats going on with the FBI. On one hand, they are really breaking a new ground by raiding the congressmans office, which if the proof of video tape can be provided, I say thank god the FBI is finally doing something about all this. On the other hand I wonder if that is really their goal and if they are up to something entirely different.

Im on the fence about the FBI right now. Mainly because they are doing some questionable things, but on the other hand they could be finally cracking down on all this corruption.

Should they fail to produce the video tape of Jefferson though, this will ring a HUGE alarm that will have me very suspicious of the FBI. That video was the main basis of their raid and if it comes out that it doesn't actually exist, ill be very worried.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Actually grimreaper, I never have trusted them to be forthright. It doesn't mean that they are actively involved in illegal activities, but rather the cloak of secrecy has done nothing to win the confidence and good faith of the public.

Our mayor, Tom Potter, was a police chief, so he is no stranger to the workings of the law. If he smells a rat, chances are that there is one. I'll put my money on that and see what everyone else has to say about it.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
This administration flat out blamed the CIA and FBI for failures leading to 9/11

Now the heat is on and crooks are scrambling to save their a$$es.

Bush Cheney and Co are placing their goons anywhere there might be dissent in the ranks.

Appointing Hayden to CIA is just one more example and you have to know it's pissing
people off.

Maybe, just maybe there are enough real patriots within these organizations to fight back.

Congress is dirty on both side and that sure became evident with the raid on the congressional
offices.

Then Bush intervenes yesterday covering for Hastert and his connections to Abramoff
proclaiming separation of powers, but ignores that noble concept for himself.

I'm sure this goes so much bigger than most of us can imagine.

This administration has been fleecing America of billions upon billions for those who really
hold the strings.

At the moment, it's in the hands of the Solicitor General

The DOJ may actually be doing the job they were entrusted to do for once.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Matyas its not that I ever truely trusted them, just that they have been sending mixed signals. At one point they are breaking down on corrupt politicians like Jefferson which I am all for (if its true). But then something like this pops up and makes me wonder if they are doing it legally.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well grim, all this waiting to see also worries me. If what you say turns out to be the case, then we are in deep doo doo. If they are just going to work, then my faith would be restored. How can the public tell the difference? Who watches the watchers? Does anyone have any ideas out there?

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It sounds to me like all the agent did was ask some questions. I dont think anything illeagle happened. Asking questions could have been dont by anybody, and the other person did not half to anser weather the person asking was working for the FBI or not. So my impreshen at this poing is nothing wrong happened, but I also agree with the statment was something to the point of I hope the DOJ is doing the job for which they are tasked.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Red, if it was all that simple I may not have even bothered posting. I would have assumed the mayor was acting irrationally, and chalked it up to just another glitch in the system. But what does your GUT tell you?

Mine says that the intention was to find an easy target, get a foot in, then continue prying until they (FBI) would have a hardened position to rely on. And that, my friend, is much more than just an innocent conversation. It shows an agenda, an S.O.P., and these agencies are known for their "laundry lists". I know from my own experiences, which I shall not go into here.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Matays,
I agree it does show a possibility of and agenda, and I will also agree that it is more the likely there. But just also wanted to say that is just what the DOJ does.

And yes that means who watches the watchers. I do see what is there just saying that I hope they are doing the job with which they are tasked.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You touched on the heart of the discussion here Red. Hoping closly parallels falling into the same old trap of learned helplessness, as in "there is nothing we can do about it, so lets watch and wait to see what happens". I see some possibility of perhaps being more proactive, like writing our elected officials and making some noise in general. I would prefer a din, but usually the giant awakens in the 11th hour. Come to think of it, your handle hearkens to an old story, the capriciousness of the Golem. Very interesting.

On another note not connected with this thread I will touch on briefly, very briefly, is a concept of "fundamental darkness", the belief that we don't have the power to change our lives. Once a human being actually makes change in their life, then they have encompassed their own empowerment and all the world opens up. But many are afraid of their own power, as I am surely guilty of myself, and we continue to sit around like roasted chickens waiting for the sky to fall. It is all in the attitude.

So anyhow, to get back on topic, I am certain there is something we can do to prove to ourselves that the FBI is acting in the interests of the law and ultimately in the interests of the people. We just need to find it.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Matays,
Yes I did take my name from mythology.
And yes I do think the we, the people do all to offen do to little to hold our representives acountable. I do know the feeling that no matter who you call or how much you say you want something chanced, and nothing happens. But for some reason i still have the glimer of hope that some time maby something will change.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Hey Red, take it easy there.

Jericho didn't fall in one day, and Elisha's servant did not believe there was hope either until he saw the futility the opposition was facing.

There is always a bigger boss, beyond the Black Gate. The real founding fathers called them truths, and mystics named it the Law. None of Man's mechinations can hold a candle to the power Nature can bring to bear upon those who violate Her.

I just wonder which power is being served by the civil power driving these agencies. But I digress, that is a spiritual and philosophical matter.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Matyas,
All very good points.

But every thing I was saying kina goes back to are of the people by the people for the people.
It this thred it is kina about is the some one doing the duties to which he is charged, or is just some else that will be covered up so the ruleing elete can continue with what ever it was they were doing.
I supose this responce is kina broad, but just wanted to get across my thoughts and often feeling of helplesness to get things done by Gov for the better of the people.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
And that is also a very good point. Those who govern should derive their power and authority from the people, from the "bottom" up, not from the "top" down.

Very excellent

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Matyas
Thanks for your kind words

And 200 or so year ago those ideals were considered the norm for elected ofishals, but that went away a long time ago

It is unforchant but I think the founding fathers of the US would be discusted with the way politics is working now.

join