It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3d laser radar sensing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   
www.air-attack.com...

what is a 3d imaging laser radar sensor and what do it do?

justin

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
From what I understand of it, it uses lasers to image instead of radar. It's supposed to create a MUCH more accurate picture, and be much harder to detect by enemies.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Is this similar to the componentry theory on the Canadian Radarsat? Which has (correct me if I'm wrong) laser and radio mapping components? If it is then those "under it's gaze" will be very accurately mapped and from such altitudes at way high res... some of these "combined spectrum" mapping and analysis tools are gettin' very, very, good. I'm not sure whether "to slay the beast" or "embrace the horror" or buy a "DARPA metamaterial Brooks Brothers" suit and sit it all out!

Thanx, I love being aware of this stuff, ATS works,

Victor K.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
From what I have heard, they have hundreds of small laser emitters mounted on the plane, each one sending out a relatively low power beam that returns to the plane, and then is imaged into a picture by the computers on the plane. SUPPOSEDLY, they will even be able to tell how many missiles are sitting on a SAM launcher using a ladar system.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
cool
cheers guys that sounds imense. however if it is good enough to count the number of missiles on a launcher then why dont they use them on B-2 and B-1B as it wouldnt reduce stealth but would allow us millitary comanders a view of everything the plane flies over.

justin

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Because until recently it wasn't practical. They only recently developed a system that was capable of being used on a plane. By the time the develped it, it was WAY too late to add it to the B-2, and it was still in the theory stages when the B-1 hit the scene. So now you're looking at a huge modification price tag for either of them to have it fitted. I agree that it's a great idea, but good luck getting the money for it.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3
www.air-attack.com...

what is a 3d imaging laser radar sensor and what do it do?

justin

Laser imaging is not a new idea but it can be very effective. The problem with lasers is that weather conditions will determine efficacy.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by orca71
The problem with lasers is that weather conditions will determine efficacy.

This is very true. Try shining a laser pointer through mist or smoke at a wall. The laser gets scattered pretty effectively and the laser beams that don't hit a receiver are assumed to have hit nothing. The beams have to be reflected back at the receiver to be picked up. Also since Ladars use different frequencies/wavelengths than Radars (Radio wave vs. whatever wavelength is used) chances are that the Lader won't be as effective going through obstructive fields (smoke, mist, fog, cloud, etc.) because of the wavelength differences. This is why people like Radio Telescopes vs. optical ones. They go through clouds and weather stuff much better than visible light.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The USAF testing lab is testing LADAR systems in bad weather as well. From what I have found and understood a way has been developed for LADAR to work in rain, and under other adverse conditions. They use from visible, to near infrared range frequencies. They were able to view targets at over 1000 feet from building sized to mobile targets, in conditions from near 0/0 visibility to several inches of rain an hour. I'm assuming that this is an early test as LADAR for aircraft has only been seriously pursued and developed in the last few years, as lasers became smaller and smaller.

top topics

join