It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a Chinese, I can answer your questions about China.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Don't forget my graveyard question please, i have a great interest in know about the chinese burial tradicionalism.
ty

[edit on 31-5-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]correcting errors.

[edit on 31-5-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
Earthalism, renshi ni wo hen gaoxing!

(I apologize for the pinyin, I have a new computer now and have not downloaded the MME Mandarin characters yet to type)I just finished my undergraduate (less than a week ago) in East Asian Studies and Chinese Lanuage in the U.S. I did not read all the posts, as it is late at night here on the Eastern Coast of the U.S., but one of the first responses mentioned the SCO. How do you see the Shanghai Cooperation Organization evolving in the coming years? Given military exercises between China, Russia and the neighbouring "-stan states" do you possibly forsee a rise in the region of perhaps a NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) type alliance forming? I would forsee such an alliance as inherently being against U.S. foreign policy interests, simply based on the issue of energy. China is tapping areas we to date do not, such as Sudan and othe African nations, as well as current interest in the Gulf of Mexico. Also taking into account a Caspian Sea pipeline from Russia to China.
duibuqi....keshi a rambling question, but one that holds great interest to me.

xiexie, wanan

If Russia and china can be allied, they would had been allied already.

China have 5000 years history, and is arrogant at heart. Chinese won't accept another country as their leader. That's why China keep away from Russia in Cold War period.

Russia now is decadent than previous , but still stonger than China, and won't follow Chinese direction.

So, it's hard to cooperate in ideology.

There are more. Russia, alleged Chinese ally, actually seized maximum lands, more than two milion square kilometers, from china in modern history. Hate exists in Chinese heart. This antinomy is concealed temporarily and may break out any time in the future.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Earthlism]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Here's my question. How many people speak English in China? Are many people learning it?

Chinese students are trying hard to study English, and more and more people can speak English, but they still occupy a little proportion.

Most of English learners are able to read, but bad at hearing and speaking.

English is do restricting Chinese improvement.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Again, thank you very much Earthlism for your answers. I especially appreciate you for answering my questions about Chinese history because these are questions that I have thought about for a long time (in my own historical research).

What also fascinates me is your comments on Russia. Is part of that rivalry between Russia and China because of how both countries relate to each other on a politically historical basis? Does China see Russia decadent because of ideological or economic reasons?

Does the political ideology of China include historical leanings? I mean, does pride in history help politics in any way, shape or form?

And, yet another question: I have always been fascinated by the Peking Opera. Do they still perform it in China? I do know that Peking Opera does feature stories from Chinese history, do they not?

Once more, I am gratified by your meticulous explainations you have given all of us. I am enjoying this thread because I have learned quite a deal from your words. And it has broadened my horizons about your country.

I continue to send my best wishes on your progress in your work and life.

--Ceci

[edit on 1-6-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Census
What are your thoughts on that superdam and how many people will be displaced when the flooding begins?

Any thoughts on the environmental impact of this project?

When its the completion date of the dam?

It's a complicated issue.

There are stormy quarrels in Chinese Forum around it. But Chinese government's decision didn't reveal the willingness of Chinese people.

There is one thread.
San Xia Da Ba

It have been completed in 5.20 .

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I am going to get somewhat heated here I apologize in advance. We (me being an American) overthrow a dictatorial regime, yet China provides arms to Sudan for Oil. What is happening in Iraq is horrible right now, yet your governmet gives the government of Sudan and primarily the Janjaweed Militia (the most powerful anti-government rebels in Sudan, primarily Darfur,) the means to continue slaughtering each other on a scale that makes Iraq look like a peace rally gone bad.

I belive that the U.S. should have long ago engaged Africa economically if not solely for our own self interest in the confirmed oil reserves that exist in Africa (not only in Sudan, but Nigeria and other states as well) which your government (China) is readily taking advantage of. And what does the Middle Kingdom use to grease the wheels of commerce, the weapons of war.
[edit on 31-5-2006 by Baphomet79]

Just as the Tibet issue, I didn't know what happened in Sudan and between Sudan and China in a very long time until I began exploring foreign and English website not long ago. I'm sure 99 percent of Chinese don't know and never heard about this issue.

Chinese government is pursuing profit by any possible means, in spite of morality and responsibility. That is of course unwise.

There are too many things disappointing Chinese people, and they are just struggling in survival.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   

You have voted Earthlism for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

EDIT:

Hi Earthlism,

how much is a decent laptop in shanghai

[edit on 1-6-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Earthlism
There are more specific imformation.

1、从超级市场买回新鲜的羊肉(可选购:鱼),竹签(可选种类:铁),调料:孜然粉,辣椒粉,盐,番茄酱等� �可根据自己口味选购)
2.然后就是把肉类切成小块,不要太大,要不然就不容易熟透。切好后拿竹签穿好,调料分好就可以了。
3.就是准备炭和烧烤的器具。(要是有可以用于烤煎炸的器具就省事多了)
4.就是烤的过程了(省略......)
5.吃完后记得把东西收好准备下次再用。(如果在郊外记得把垃圾带走保护环境)
注:如果比较懒得话,可以买商家直接做好调料的成品自己烤着吃,毕竟享受的是过程和结果嘛!

Earthlsim,

It seems that the Chinese Government may have censored your post!

I had some difficulty translating some of the steps involved in the (obviously secret) Yang Rou Chuan recipe, especially step #4. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be cumin or hot chili powder.

Thankfully, asmilesnail was able to smuggle a version of this, obviously secret recipe, though Chinese customs a few days ago for me. Using his recipe, and what I could decode from your recipe, I have concluded that step #4 should read: "Sprinkle the skewered mutton with a liberal amount of hot chili powder".

I don't want to get you into trouble with the Chinese authorities over this subject, as you are a valuable contributor to the ATS boards, so I won't be discussing this any further. In other words: "Ixnay on the inesechay eciperay"!

Xenophobe

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   

The other ethnic minorities are treated as no different from Han people. There are no serious ethnic clash in China.
Descendants of the Manchu people are mostly living in their original area, northeastern of China.
In late of Qing Dynasty, conflicts with foreign countries concealed domestic inconsistency. There were no retorsion aimed to Manchu happening.
Tibet issues is no different from other provinces. Xijiang province is more unrestful than Tibet. But as I said, Chinese government is good at control states and people tightly.
Xijiang province is more unrestful than Tibet.

Alright I am increasingly getting upset at this thread, particularly because you have yet to answer any of my posts, call me selfish, I know there have been many posts before my rants. I keep coming back to this thread, despite it is in the introduction forum, I am all about welcoming new ideas and members to ATS yet... You have yet to hit on the important subjects and continue to answer "round-about" (translation: general issue type of questions) and avoid the more important ones.

In regards to the above quote, Xinjiang and Tibet! Stating that those of not Han descent are treated equally in China is absolutely ridiculous. Tibet we will set aside because everyone knows the persecution they suffer. Xinjiang, let's talk about the Muslim Uighurs that while suffering beforehand, have been persecuted, killed, and forced into near slavery after September 11, 2001 all under the guise of the "War on Terror."

I have studied in China and speak/read enough Chinese to work there, you are from Shanghai, I am sure you have not spent your entire life in the Bund or Pudong, yet you honestly say that their is no descrimination against non-Han people in China!

The fact that you could even put in the same sentence propaganda and China, while living in China makes me question why you are here (if I knew enough about computers I would trace your IP address.) Answer the important questions!!

EDIT: Sincere apologies to Earthalism, I had a link on my browser to page 4 of this thread, and had not read page 5 where my questions were answered. My humble apologies. Dui bu qi wo de pengyou.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Baphomet79]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Yes we as America do need to set a good example which we are not doing well currently, butChina needs to as well. You are emerging as the regional power in Asia and in the coming years will rival American strength. Earthalism you preach the end of dictatorial regimes yet your government is cited as one of the most indemic abusers of human rights in the world. Given the fact that an admitted Chinese nationalist is allowed to post on this site in viewed in light of The PRC's rampant censorship of the internet makes, while albeit it a fascinating testimonial of mainland Chinese opinion.... in mine and likely others on this site, your account is suspect. I am not saying your statements are propaganda, but still....think of your audience.

If China were blooming as its Tang Dynasty, I would surely anchor my hope on China, but it is a dictatorial regime, that's just why I don't. What my country did represent willingness of government, not Chinese people.

Chinese power is rising, which make me glad surely, but make me fear at the same time. If a dictatorial regime gain the leader station of the world, all the world would be thrown into dictatorial rules, which would be a heavy disaster.

So, I assume America can do good enough to be the origin of the super-earth-country. I eliminate the limit of countries here. America don't represent US merely, but represent the democracy and freedom civilization originated from Europe and spreaded to all of the world.

A Chinese quota said, splendid solid dam can be destroied by formicary. Tiny bagatelle may cause situation turnover. So it must be more careful and more cautious, and can't be gratefied by current situation.

Chinese civilization can last so long, because Chinese ceaselessly absorb other ethnic's advantage. When you wonder why America was regarded as enemy by many countries people, turning to Chinese history seeking for some experience may be helpful.

I appreciate American people, and hope you can do better. If I can immigrate to America in the future, I will act up and try to reach this aim too.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The other ethnic minorities are treated as no different from Han people. There are no serious ethnic clash in China.
Descendants of the Manchu people are mostly living in their original area, northeastern of China.
In late of Qing Dynasty, conflicts with foreign countries concealed domestic inconsistency. There were no retorsion aimed to Manchu happening.
Tibet issues is no different from other provinces. Xijiang province is more unrestful than Tibet. But as I said, Chinese government is good at control states and people tightly.
Xijiang province is more unrestful than Tibet.

Alright I am increasingly getting upset at this thread, particularly because you have yet to answer any of my posts, call me selfish, I know there have been many posts before my rants. I keep coming back to this thread, despite it is in the introduction forum, I am all about welcoming new ideas and members to ATS yet... You have yet to hit on the important subjects and continue to answer "round-about" (translation: general issue type of questions) and avoid the more important ones.

In regards to the above quote, Xinjiang and Tibet! Stating that those of not Han descent are treated equally in China is absolutely ridiculous. Tibet we will set aside because everyone knows the persecution they suffer. Xinjiang, let's talk about the Muslim Uighurs that while suffering beforehand; have been persecuted, killed, and forced into near slavery after September 11, 2001 all under the guise of the "War on Terror."

I have studied in China and speak/read enough Chinese to work there; you are from Shanghai, I am sure you have not spent your entire life in the Bund or Pudong, yet you honestly say that their is no descrimination against non-Han people in China! I love China and its people more than I love my own American culture at times, but I hate your government with such a passion that nothing could squelch it.

The fact that you could even put in the same sentence, propaganda and China, while living in China makes me question why you are here (if I knew enough about computers I would trace your IP address.) Answer the important questions!!

EDIT: Sincere apologies to Earthalism, I had a link on my browser to page 4 of this thread, and had not read page 5 where my questions were answered. My humble apologies. Dui bu qi wo de pengyou.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Well simmer down there why don't you buddy. Human is as human does, take a breather and remember in through the nose out the mouth.

I'm sure when your question is gotten to they will answer it. Now lets see a more civil gathering here shall we.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The last post I read from you Earthalism, made me completely change my opinion about you. Do NOT emigrate to America, China needs level headed thinkers like you who passionately care about the future of your country. Of course you are free to do what you like, but you seem to be intelligent and rational; something that every country needs to throw off the oppresive power of a government such as the CPC.

On a more sad note, as I previously stated, but now with sympathy not anger, what your government has you believe about what happens away from the East Coast of China. Your government is a tyrranical regime that exploits all it can to maintain power. But YOU have the power to change that. I look forward to continuing our discussion.

P.S. I hope you read the edit to my last post; as it said I had a bookmark to page 4 of the thread, I did not even see there was a page 5. So once again my apologies.

Edit Number 2: Despite I love ADVISOR's Avatar, this was not in response to his message; just my own fault for mis-judging people and not looking around. Once again an apology to Earthalism.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Censor Malfunction

Originally posted by Xenophobe
It seems that the Chinese Government may have censored your post!

Well I for one certainly don't want to censor anyone, but Simon has asked us to to post in English:

Other Language Use

Allowing posts in different languages would make it impossible to moderate. This website is English language-based, and this is the standard by which everyone follows.

So if someone could post an English translation for how to make yang rou chuan, I think we're set.

And definitely, I don't want to discourage Earthlism from posting!

Earthlism, Welcome To ATS!

Please accept my very best regards. Your posts are absolutely fascinating for an American who lives under a different form of censorship.

I sense a kindred spirit, and see the soul of a true ATSer within you.

Please keep those excellent posts coming!

On A Less Serious Note

This is terribly off-topic, but I hope you will bear with me.

A rather odd thought came to mind as I read through this thread: I'm an American, and my favorite TV series of all time is Haibane Renmei, which was made in Japan. My favorite character in that series is Kana, who is Chinese.

In fact, my current ATS avatar features Kana:

She's something of a caricature of how Japanese men view Chinese women: brash, pushy and overall somewhat rowdy. But she has a heart of gold, and for all her wildness, she always has a sound rationale for her way of thinking, and is actually quite well-grounded as a person.

In light of the histories of the U.S., Japan and China, and all the things that have happened between our countries over the years, I think it's ironic that, for me at least, these three countries would come together in such a fashion.

I also think that perhaps it is a sign.

We are more alike than different.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Earthlism, could you elaborate WHY you think it impossible for India and China to associate?
Also do you stay on the mainland?
And I am perplexed by your take on the removal of Saddam Regime from Iraq..
I would go so far as to say that the majority of chinese would not support your view on the issue.
Actually my main question is : Do stay in China?

[edit on 31-5-2006 by Daedalus3]

Yes, I'm stay on mainland.
I don't know what opinion you means. Many Chinese didn't support America action in Iraq? or, I personally support it? I assume the first.
Tianya Forum is Chinese most famous forum, and here is the World Observe board.
Tianyaclub

You can see how many threads oppose Iraq action.

There are the titles of some newest posts.

美军又一罪行——阿帕奇攻击平民(转载) baby8813 298 8 6-1 12:59

《伊拉克恶狼谷》点燃土反美怒火 在沉默中爆发(转载) 我心狂乱 898 24 6-1 13:03

“布什主义”就是恐怖主义(转载) 立陶宛 81 6 6-1 10:31

从“滥杀门”事件的言论看精英们的丑态 啃球不动 2373 108 6-1 12:55

India is a democracy country, and more close to America

China is a dictatorial country, and more close to Russia, duo to its former Communist rigime.

There weren't cooperation tradition in history duo to the Himalayas.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
Do the chinese people have graveyards? what the chinese do to the bodys of the dead normaly?, burn?, buried?, feed the voltures?(like the Tibetans?)
i ask this because i don't remeber to see or red nothing about this in all my life in books, movies, etc. in fact i don't recall about nothing related to chinese graveyards.

Yes, it's a chinese traditional custom to bury people after they die.

Government have issued laws to stop this custom, and most regions have turned to burn.

There are still some rural area keeping this traditional custom.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   

In regards to the above quote, Xinjiang and Tibet! Stating that those of not Han descent are treated equally in China is absolutely ridiculous.

Actually they are given rights Han chinese only dream of.

Tax reduction, more allocated areas for higher education and the redemption from the one child policy

Also, dont get confused with communist era Mao and reformist era Hu Yaobang tibetian policy

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
Don't forget my graveyard question please, i have a great interest in know about the chinese burial tradicionalism.
[edit on 31-5-2006 by Umbra Sideralis]

So I will expalin more.

Cremation and Inhumation both have long history in china.

A chinese quotation said, buried into the soil is the last calmness. Chinese ancients believe there is a otherworldliness existed in which the deads live. Chin Sh Huang, owner of the Buried Sculpture Legion, have dreamed of building an empery for his afterworld. Cremation came from the same thought.

Inhumation reputedly started in poor people, for they had no money to bury their relatives.I more like to relate it to the thought of Taoism, "The origin from nature, and the end-result to nature". Inhumation can be carried up to Five Dynasty (907-960 A.D.), and have more than a thousand year's history.

Here is more specific imformation.
Cremation and Inhumation

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
thx for your response about the burial system in china, tank you very much.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted by Daedalus3

posted by donwhite
I have read China is buying (or building) 3 super quiet diesel submarines . . possible use for a sub is to raise the ante over the Straits of Taiwan.

ummm. could you post a source on that? The only present connection I can see is Chinese reverse engineering. The Agosta 90B subs acquired by Pakistan. Other than that I wasn't aware of any substantiated evidence of a European sub deal with China. [Edited by Don W]

No. I’m sorry, DD3, because I understand fully how careful one should be not to be waylaid by rumor mongers. There are enough accepted facts to occupy our time without going off on a false lead. I posted on the Providence RI Journal board and then on the English Guardian board. I am critical of unfamiliar facts but I accepted that as true. I cannot substantiate it.

Earthlism, could you elaborate WHY you think it impossible for India and China to associate?

When I wrote that DD3, I had in mind not just the difficulty crossing the very rugged Himalayas. Even today, a genuine barrier. More important, I thought about the vast differences in Hinduism and the teachings of Confucius which I regard as “better.” Or indeed, as “superior.” I noted Earthism has made several favorable references to Buddhism which may indicate he is not only a follower of Confucius - aren’t all Chinese? - but also a follower of Buddha. Which is not uncommon in China, so I’ve been told.

You have the language barrier to add to cultural barriers. Add also the impact of the English overlord-ship on India. Hong Kong is no equivalent. India and China both maintained sea going trading vessels for several millennia, there were so many places in between to stop and trade, that apparently neither China nor India ever wanted to make a strong encroachment into the other’s domain. Lastly, I believe the Chinese tended to look “inward” from the Han dynasty onward. India, OTOH, until the English, had no strong central ruling power. A conglomeration of 200-300 principalities.

And I am perplexed by your take on the removal of Saddam’s regime from Iraq . .

My memory is E-ism said he did not support the US intervention in Iraq. I think it is a fundamental component of Chinese character (culture) to keep their noses out of other people’s bassness. American’s OTOH, can’t resist. We believe God has appointed us to spread democracy around the globe. Even if we can’t hold a good election here. Our movers and shakers don’t believe in God, but believe only in the Almighty Dollar and in amassing as many for themselves as is humanly possible in their allotted time. It is for us peons to whom the Name of God is our rallying cry! It is for us peons to do the dying. Say thank you Herr Oberfuhrer. Our boys in Iraq thank you.

[edit on 6/1/2006 by donwhite]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join