It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons must choose lodge or church: synod

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Sydney Morning Herald (Australia), Oct. 21, 2003
www.smh.com.au...
By Malcolm Brown

The Sydney Anglican Synod has called on all Christian members of Masonic lodges to withdraw their membership and for church facilities not to be used for activities linked with Freemasonry.

The motion, passed yesterday, also "requests that councils of all Anglican schools . . . consider any association that their school may have with any Masonic lodge, and to withdraw from any such association".

The King's School, Shore and Trinity were specifically mentioned during the debate.

The motion was put by Reverend Bill Winthrop, Rector of St Paul's Church, Lithgow, whose parish council last December passed a motion calling on Freemasons and members of the Order of the Eastern Star to choose between those movements and continuing membership of the congregation.

www.religionnewsblog.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Woo Hoo!
Lets give them a standing ovation.
Finally the power of the masonic lodge is getting the shove out of the church.
This has to be one of the few advances the Anglican church has made in years. Especially considering their retreats in the face of gay clergy debate.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Woo Hoo!
Lets give them a standing ovation.
Finally the power of the masonic lodge is getting the shove out of the church.
This has to be one of the few advances the Anglican church has made in years. Especially considering their retreats in the face of gay clergy debate.

Very good news indeed

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 04:30 AM
link   
For the first time in many, many centuries, the church is pulling away from freemasonry. This pleases me immensely, because that was one of my big problems with organized religion to begin with. Freemasons, although I am acquainted with two that I know of, are just not the type of people i'd leave the church in the hands of, that's all.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 04:54 AM
link   
There are little blow-ups between fragments of this Church or that, and local or Grand Lodges, all over the world, all the time.

There are Papal decrees changing regularly regarding membership of Freemasonry for Catholics.

This is just another lovers' tiff. Freemasonry has many common roots with the Anglican denomination.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Posted this a while ago, you all should start lookingaround more.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

j/k

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hip, Hip, Hurray.............There is a God

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
but how long will they stay out for ?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
masons and eastern stars are free and accepted...

yet, i agree that one who is a maicious member of either organization could easily take advantage of the ignorance run amok in the church...
this fact does not necessarily mean that members of either or can not get along or need to persecute each other...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:31 PM
link   
When Christianity came about there was ''One Body '' and One faith.....
When the Schism of 1054 came about the Truth odf Christianity just split into many branches ...creating many branches of the ONE tree.....EACH CREATING new IDEAS OF WHAT CHRISTIANITY is!
And so I think it 's about time that each Christian look at what Christianity is really about!

Christianity was formed because it was prophecied that a Messiah would come....and He did.....He fullfilled the Old Testament right down to the last letter......
Jesus Christ was God and He was there from the beginning of time....Genesis.1:26....''And God said ,Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:
Well, because man chose to accept his own teachings and let things run his way instead of God's ......things are in chaos.......and people are starting to see this or recognise the many faults of creating new ideas........
There is a prophecy that says that there will be an EIGHTH ecumenical council........The last one that the Orthodox recognise was in 787 A.D and was composed of 367 fathres....
There will be an EIGHTH ecumenical council to bring all the people together and have one body and one faith again.......
OK, the reason I mentioned this, is because people are not satisfied with the many NEW rules that each Christian body brings out...and search for truth.....
Because the truth is mixed with un truth it cannot be right....
When will this council come about???
Well there are prophecies that say that when Roman Catholisism falls......because in the way of it getting to the truth is the Infallibility of the pope......and when that is done away with, there will be a resolution to solving the one body and one faith as was in the beginning of the Apostles and the teachings of Christ!
It does not mean that all people will accept this, as always, people tend to have their OWN ideas and will always ASSUME that they are in the RIGHT!
I guess one can only wait and see what happens next!
helen...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
and if you do can you state those reasons for me please...
and he called himself the son of man not god...
he recgonized his father and knew his place as a child of the father, do you?...
there is a difference, dont you think?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage
and if you do can you state those reasons for me please...
and he called himself the son of man not god...
he recgonized his father and knew his place as a child of the father, do you?...
there is a difference, dont you think?

Why was He crucified???
Why did the people want Him dead???
I mean, what did He do???
He committed NO CRIME!!!

In the words of St. Gregory the Theologian: "The Holy Spirit always was, and is, and will be; neither beginning nor coming to an end, but always ranked and numbered with the Father and the Son"; "He is the life and creator of life; He is the light and the bestower of light; He is the pouring out of goodness and source of goodness"; "through Whom the Father is known and the Son (John 16:14) is glorified, and by all is known"; "He is the Spirit of wisdom, understanding"; "He is God and deifier." "He distributes the gifts " (1 Cor. 12:11), "crowns the prophets, apostles and martyrs ".

As told to us by the Evangelists Matthew, Mark, and Luke, Christ was on his way to Jerusalem, where judgment and death awaited him. He stopped at the foot of Mt. Tabor. With only three of His disciples, Peter, James and John, He ascended to the summit. There, He allowed them to witness His Divine Glory: His face shone with a light which his disciples could not bear to watch, and His vestments became white as snow. The disciples saw the Savior conversing with two Old Testament Prophets, Moses and Elias, who stood beside Him.

In rapt admiration of the marvelous vision, and not wanting it to end, the Apostle Peter proposed to Jesus Christ that three tabernacles be constructed � for Him, for Moses, and for Elias. While Peter was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from it the voice of God the Father sounded, bearing witness to Jesus as His beloved Son, and calling upon the disciples to heed Him. After the vision had ended, and while the Savior and his three disciples were beginning their descent, He ordered them to tell no one of what they had seen until the Son of Man (as He often referred to Himself) should be risen from the dead.

Hail, King of the Jews (Matt. 27:29; Mark 15:18; John 19:3). Clearly, this public humiliation and torment was for the gratification of the mob, for Pilate showed that he was acting against his conscience by saying again, I find no fault in this Man (John 18:38; John 19:6; Luke 23:4). The Jewish leaders answered him, We have a law, and according to our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God (John 19:7).

Christ was crucified, as says the divine Mark; from the
sixth hour until the ninth there was darkness over the whole land (Mark 15:33). The Centurion Longinus (comm. Oct. 16), seeing these marvelous events and especially the darkening of the sun, cried out
with a mighty voice,
Truly this Man was the Son of God (Matt. 27:54; Mark 15:39). Of the two thieves, one reviled Jesus, but the other reproached him, most profoundly reproving him, and confessed Christ to be the Son of God. Because of his confession, the Savior rewarded his faith and promised that he would be with Him in Paradise that very day. The good thief is commemorated on October 12.

He was crucified because he was truly God ......There was no other fault found in Him..

Prophesy to us, Christ! Who is the one that struck you? (Matt. 26:68).
Then many false witnesses and accusers arrived, perhaps because He said, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up (John 2:19) and because He said about Himself,
I am the Son of God (Matt. 27:43), or because He said, Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power and coming on the clouds of heaven (Matt. 26:64).
At that point, the High Priest tore his own garment, saying, He has spoken blasphemy!
What further need do we have of witnesses? Look, now you have heard His blasphemy! (Matt. 26:65).

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
and evade my question completely even though you quote me...
is that a declaration of war, or do you act that way with all your friends,family, and enemies?...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage
and evade my question completely even though you quote me...
is that a declaration of war, or do you act that way with all your friends,family, and enemies?...

Sorry if I seem that way!
I guess my Answers came too abrupt!
Did not want to sound that way!

helen,....

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Interesting. Can a person be a mason and be a christian? They can but not if they truly understand the purpose of masonry.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:18 PM
link   
it is the desire behind your posting that gives away your position...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Interesting. Can a person be a mason and be a christian? They can but not if they truly understand the purpose of masonry.

You are right THENEO a person can be both ...
I guess if one knows and understands like you said then you cannot have them both.....
helen...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:22 AM
link   
then they can love the ignorant as well...
ignorance knowledge they are all relative anyways, for we are still children and are in the wilderness finding a way through the forest(beware those raised by wolves)...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
"Can a person be a mason and be a christian?"

No.

Christianity teaches there is one true God. All other Gods are false gods. Satan is the father of deceit. Ergo, if you do not worship the one true God you worship Satan.

Masonry says that all gods are equally valid, and that all religions were created by Masons. This belief is incompatible with Christianity.

But, don't take my word for it. Read the writings of 33d degree Freemasons on this topic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

C.W. Leadbeater; Freemasonry: Its Ancient and Mystic Rites; Page 10:
the ritual of each degree is intended to call down spiritual power
The performance of the ritual of each degree is intended to call down spiritual power, first to
assist the Bro. upon whom the degree is conferred to awaken within himself that aspect of
consciousness which corresponds to the symbolism of the degree, as far as it can be awakened;
secondly to aid in the evolution of the members present; and thirdly and most important of all, to
pour out a flood of spiritual power intended to uplift, strengthen and encourage all members of
the Craft.

Foster Bailey; The Spirit of Masonry; Page 141: Masonry Ancient Wisdom
The ancient mystery schools of all ages, which were secret, all taught the same spiritual truths
that are veiled and hidden in our rituals, working tools, lodge furnishings and the proper function
of Masonic Lodge officials and their stations in the Lodge.

Manly P. Hall; What the Ancient Wisdom expects of its Disciples; Page 14:
Ancient Wisdom was and will be ruler of this planet.
There is no greater honor than to be called to the service of this eternal Wisdom which was
before the beginning and which will ultimately become the visible exoteric ruling body of the
planet.

Foster Bailey; The Spirit of Masonry; Page 29:
Masonry the first world religion, the world universal religion
Masonry is the descendant of, or is founded upon, a divinely imparted religion which long
antedates the prime date of creation as given in our Bible. Masonry and its allegorical rituals, and
its symbols and numbers, is all that remains to us of the first world religion which flourished in
an antiquity so old that it is impossible to affix a date. It was the first unified world religion. ....
Today we are working again towards a world universal religion.

Foster Bailey; The Spirit of Masonry; Page 109: Masonry Universal Religion
Is it not possible from a contemplation of this side of Masonic teaching that it may provide all
that is necessary for the formulation of a universal religion? May it not be true, as has been said,
that if all religions and Scriptures were blotted out and only Masonry were left in the world we
could still recover the great plan of salvation?

A revitalised Masonry, made up of Masons true to their obligations and realising the Mystic Tie
that binds them all ether in one true brotherhood, would also provide a platform so universal that
it would meet the need of thinkers of all kinds and of every school of thought. It would thus not
only meet a religious need by providing a universal religion...

Foster Bailey; Things To Come; Page 117 Christianity
As to universality: competition between religions is recognised as folly. The churchmen of
Christianity have imprisoned the Christ in their own separative religious organisations to such an
extent that one might almost think that God loved only Christians. Such a man-made concept of
God is silly and unattractive. The word Christ is a name in the Hierarchy for the holder of an all
embracing world-wide divine leadership and as so used, transcends orthodox limitations. Christ
to the modern mind is an active, intelligent world executive, and a living man today. His vision
and his action are for all men. He is not at all limited to Christianity.

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page 46: Masonry the universal religion
at the heart of every great religion, lie the same eternal truths. Forms and observances only differ.
.... Masonry is not only a universal science, but a world-wide religion, and owes allegiance to no
one creed, and can adopt no sectarian dogma...without ceasing thereby to be Masonic.

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page 47:
Great Republic, Masonry is the Universal Religion
Is Jesus any the less Christos, because Christna was called "the Good Shepherd?" or because the
Mexican Christ was crucified between two thieves? or because Hiram was three days in a grave
before he was resurrected? Are we not as selfish in our religion as in our other possessions? Then
why is man, while cherishing as his most sacred possession, the religion of his fathers, eternally
seeking to degrade and destroy that of his Brother?
...Masonry is the Universal Religion only because, and only so long, as it embraces all religions.
For this reason, and this alone, it is universal and eternal.

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page 50:
Secret Doctrine was the real foundation of every great Religion known to man
There is no fact in history more easily and completely demonstrable than the existence of the
Secret Doctrine in all ages among all people, and of Adepts or Masters who were familiar with
its teachings, and were more or less capable of expounding its principles.
It is equally demonstrable that this Secret Doctrine was the real foundation of every great
Religion known to man; that only the initiated Priest or Hierophant knew the real doctrines in
any case, and only these, as a rule, in the earliest history of each religion.
Furthermore, the Sacred Books of all religions, including those of the Jews and the Christians,
were and are no more than parables and allegories of the real Secret Doctrine, transcribed for the
ignorant and superstitious masses.

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page 52:
Secret Doctrine was the universally diffused religion of the ancient world
"To recapitulate; the Secret Doctrine was the universally diffused religion of the ancient and
prehistoric world. Proof of its diffusion, authentic records of its history, a complete chain of
documents, showing its character and presence in every land, together with the teaching of all its
great Adepts, exist to this day in the secret crypts of libraries belonging to the Occult Fraternity."

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page 66: Great Universal Wisdom-Religion
Masonry does not preach a new religion, it but reiterates the New Commandment announced by
Jesus, which was also announced by every great reformer of religion since history began. Drop
the theological barnacles from the Religion of Jesus, as taught by Him, and by the Essenes and
Gnostics of the first centuries, and it becomes Masonry.

Foster Bailey; Things To Come; Page 119:
Reappearance of Christ, Great Invocation; Masters of the Wisdom are preparing to
undertake work in physical bodies
By far the most important event for humanity in the imminent future is the reappearance of the
Christ. ... Definite preparation for that reappearance was immediately put in hand by the entire
Hierarchy of Masters and reorganisation of the Hierarchy itself begun. This preparation for the
coming is the main focus in the Hierarchy today.... Masters of the Wisdom are preparing to
undertake work in physical bodies and some have already done so.

33d degree Freemasons on Christianity:

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page19: Christianity
"What is now called the Christian Religion existed among the ancients, and was not absent from
the human race until Christ came, from which time the true religion, which existed already,
began to be called Christian."
St. Augustine was Bishop of Hippo, born in 347 A. D., and lived near enough the time of Christ
to know whereof he wrote.

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page31: Christianity
Here, again, we see a symbol ages old, revived and adopted in many forms, and further, that
Immortality was not "brought to light" for the first and only time by the "Man of Sorrows" of the
Christians; yet in every case is the symbol none the less true. Whether any of these sun-gods or
Redeemers were historical characters or not, the symbolism teaches every-where the same eternal
truths: the Resurrection and the Life; Redemption and Immortality.

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page 57: Christianity
Salvation by faith and the vicarious atonement were not taught, as now interpreted, by Jesus, nor
are these doctrines taught in the exoteric Scriptures. They are later and ignorant perversions of
the original doctrines. In the Early Church, as in the Secret Doctrine, there was not one Christ for
the whole world, but a potential Christ in every man. Theologians first made a fetish of the
Impersonal, Omnipresent Divinity; and then tore the Christos from the hearts of all humanity in
order to deify Jesus; that they might have a God-man peculiarly their own!
All the ancient Mysteries had the true doctrine, and the early Christians had it. Masonry,
uncontaminated by the disciples of Loyola, had and has it also.

J.D. Buck; Symbolism of Freemasonry; Page 62: Christianity
By taking the symbols for the thing symbolized, men have made contradictions out of details, and
then built up a system of final rewards and punishments, attaching to acts in time. and claimed
their unreason and injustice as binding to all eternity. ...It will be urged by modern Theologians
that this view dethrones Christ. To this objection the answer is that any other view orphans
Humanity. It is far more important that men should strive to become Christs than that they should
believe that Jesus was Christ. If the Christ-state can be attained by but one human being during
the whole evolution of the race, then the evolution of man is a farce and human perfection an
impossibility.
Jesus is no less Divine because all men may reach the same Divine perfection. Again, it will be
urged, "There is no other name given under Heaven or amongst men whereby ye can be saved."
...That which the orthodox Christian will find to oppose to this view is not that it dethrones or
degrades Christ, but that it disproves the idea of Christ as their exclusive possession, and denies
that all other religions are less Divine than their own.

Foster Bailey; Things To Come; Page 116: Christianity
A quarter of a century ago a Master of the Wisdom, Djwhal Khul, gave out a new presentation
of a common belief and prophecy which has been anchored in human consciousness in religion
and philosophy for many thousands of years. The expectation of the return of a great world
teacher, a divine planetary avatar, is universal and has behind it the power of age-old hierarchical
action. That this coming one is known by different names is incidental, but that there is such an
avatar and that he is coming for the aid of all humanity is a profound reality....The Christian
doctrine that he comes as a Christian to save us from hell and for some distant judgment date is a
hangover from humanity's childhood days.

Foster Bailey; Things To Come; Page 125:
Christ, Hierarchy, Religion is not the only human way back to God.
The Great Invocation belongs to no person and is identified with no group. .... It is not limited to
the Christian religion although the name Christ is used. People of other faiths are using it often,
using the name of the world leader common to their own religion.
Also many happily use the name Christ because other religions do not insist that their religion is
the only true religion to the same extent that the Christian church does. In fact the name Christ is
used in the Hierarchy as the title of an office and not in any way limited to one religion. That
position of head of the Hierarchy is not limited in the least to religious action but is concerned
with all seven departments of hierarchical work of which religion is only one. Religion is not the
only human way back to God.

Foster Bailey; The Spirit of Masonry; Page 140:
For future salvation it is not necessary for all men to become Masons. Masonry is one of many
ways to God. In saying that Christianity is the only way, the Church has been in great error
causing terrible persecutions and wars.

Foster Bailey; Things To Come; Page 259:
Master Jesus working within the Catholic Church
Not only are there disciples in the various religions controlled by these realisations, but,
according to D.K., the Master Jesus should be working within the Catholic Church by about the
year 1980, if things go according to plan...
So it is in all other fields of hierarchical work. The Christ when He reappears, possibly within
the next 50 years, will strike the keynote of "love and unity".

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hehehe, nice.

There was a time that i thought exactly like helen.

now, i think that if you compare *any* organised religion to freemasonry, you will see who is really good and evil. lets judge them by their acts and not by their words. the organised christian religions talk and talk, but look at the news, everyday there is some discusting thing involving children, and a million other things they preach against.

Freemasons have a sense of morality at least.

posted below is the official reply from the grand master of NSW and ACT freemasons to the sydney synod idiotic proclamation.
how can a bunch of anglo pedo's outlaw the single organisation that gives more to charity then any religion?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

RESPONSE FROM
OUR GRAND MASTER
MWBro Anthony Lauer
From the Grand Lodge press release

Tuesday 21 October, 2003
�Sydney synod resolution that anglical freemasons withdraw from Freemasonry or from attending the Anglican Church is misconceived, discriminatory and a betrayal of its followers,� says MW Bro Anthony Lauer, Grand Master of NSW & ACT Freemasons

A resolution proposed by the Reverend William Winthrop of Lithgow that all Anglican Freemasons withdraw from their Lodges OR sever all connections with the Anglican Church, was passed last night by the Diocesan Synod in Sydney.

� The resolution is pure discrimination, smacks of bigotry and religious fundamentalism and is a betrayal of all Freemasons who practice the Anglican Faith,� says Tony Lauer, Grand Master of the NSW & ACT Freemasons, �especially since a great percentage of Freemasons throughout the State are Anglicans.�

�Furthermore, this a one man vendetta on the part of Reverend Winthrop, over a local issue and very petty situation � that received widespread publicity - which occurred in Lithgow last year.�

�This resulted in all local Freemasons being publicly not welcomed at the local Anglican Church,� says Mr Lauer.
�The stance taken is based on total ignorance and is a misrepresentation of what Freemasonry is all about,� says Mr Lauer.

�First and foremost, Freemasonry is tolerant and respectful of all religions and admits all men of good character who have a commitment to self improvement and to serve their community. Our one requirement is that they have a belief in God as the �supreme being�. We do not question their other beliefs,� continued Mr Lauer.

�We accept members of all faiths as Freemasons, as long as they have this belief, hence many of our Lodge members work within their communities with men of many faiths including Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Catholics and Muslims,� added Mr Lauer.

�I would like to point out to Reverend Winthrop and the Synod, that many high-ranking ministers of religion, including Anglicans, have been � and are � Freemasons,� said Mr Lauer.

�I ask Mr Winthrop and the Diocese, whether these men are now to be considered not to be Christians because they are Freemasons,� said Mr Lauer.

�Freemasonry teaches tolerance, equality, compassion and brotherly love. If Reverend Winthrop�s and the Synod�s interpretation of �Christianity� disagrees with these teachings, does this mean that the Sydney Anglican Church does not believe in the basic principles of compassion, brotherly love and above all � truth?� challenges Mr Lauer.

�Over the last 200 years Freemasons have played a significant role in shaping the fabric of Australian Society, and have been prominent in all areas of Australia�s proud history including politics, commerce, sports, the armed services.�

�In fact since Lachlan Macquarie became Governor of New South Wales in 1809, each State has had one or more Governors who were Freemasons.�

�Three of Australia�s Governors General have been Freemasons as have 10 out of 25 Prime Ministers, since Federation.�

�Are these distinguished Australians now to be branded as �non-Christians� by the Anglican Church,� asked Mr Lauer.

Mr Lauer added that � I would also like to point out that Freemasons in this state alone each year distribute more that $1,000.000 to non-Masonic worthy causes, community initiatives and charitable organisations � irrespective of their connection to any Church Group.�

� The world, as we have come to know it today, is undergoing very alarming, uncertain and chaotic times, fuelled mainly by religious fundamentalism.�

�Surely, in this civilised society the church�s role is to teach, love, compassion, unity and tolerance of one�s fellow man, and not to promote division, hatred, alienation and down right bigotry,� concluded Mr Lauer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join