It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloaking Device Unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
A cloaking device for radar could be ready in about 18 months. This is the conclusion that is outlined in papers published in Science. The math says it will work but the actual developments could prove to be tricky.

news.bbc.co.uk
These research papers present the maths required to verify that the concept could work. But developing an invisibility cloak is likely to pose significant challenges.

Both groups propose methods using the unusual properties of so-called "metamaterials" to build a cloak.

These metamaterials can be designed to induce a desired change in the direction of electromagnetic waves, such as light. This is done by tinkering with the nano-scale structure of the metamaterial, not by altering its chemistry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, this is my own opinion, so dont mark me as biased, but I wonder if this will even work, or if they even have this technoligy, and how will they make it work, I dont really understand the technicals of this "Device."

[edit on 5/25/2006 by The_Time_is_now]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Total invisibility is probably out of the question, but such is not needed anyway. I understand from an article in PhysOrg News that the technology can probably be used very effectively against acoustic waves as well as electromagnetic waves--I.e., submarines practically invisible to sonar. There have been several articles concerning this capability over the past year or so and there is even a PDF document showing all the math & theory involved.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Light, radiation, radar, are all electro magnetic waves, now if you could in theory repel and bend these away I think youd have something similiar to like what we saw with predator, of course it was the same idea there too...I dont think you will be totally invisible as that would be difficult to achieve, however I think you can get close enough to make it difficult to see if they are any good distance away.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
With a surface layer made from nanolevel assembled material that acts like a Fiber optic, with the capability of gathering EM-Waves (including light) in one point and reflecting it off at the opposite side of the "cloak" could and would make the craft practically invisible to both radar and eye (some distortion will happen anyway)

Problem will be manufacturing this "nano"Optic layer...

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   
what if a previous or an alien civilisation on this planet had similair technology with a powerfull undetecteble powersource have thing hidden on this planet and with the help with technology we find them because using this tech we will have to develope tech to counter act this cloaking device that is the militairy need to have it and so if aliens are here we are soon to detect them because of this

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
check out Optical AND Thermal/IR Camouflage for Warfighters

Back in March, DefenseReview reported on the Stealth Technology System (STS) being developed at Advanced American Enterprises (AAE) in our article titled Is Cloaking Technology for U.S. Infantry Warfighters Finally Possible? STS utilizes a form of electro-optical camouflage (referred to also as optical camouflage, adaptive camouflage, active camouflage, chameleonic camouflage, and cloaking technology). Advanced American Enterprises (AAE) AAE uses the tem "invisibility stealth" to describe the effect of their tech, which, according to them renders an object, person, or vehicle 85-100% invisible to the human eye or video camera in the visible spectrum (visible light) as soon as you flip the switch to "on", even while the cloaked item is moving.

Pictures are included on the site.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SwitchbladeNGC
check out Optical AND Thermal/IR Camouflage for Warfighters

Back in March, DefenseReview reported on the Stealth Technology System (STS) being developed at Advanced American Enterprises (AAE) in our article titled Is Cloaking Technology for U.S. Infantry Warfighters Finally Possible? STS utilizes a form of electro-optical camouflage (referred to also as optical camouflage, adaptive camouflage, active camouflage, chameleonic camouflage, and cloaking technology). Advanced American Enterprises (AAE) AAE uses the tem "invisibility stealth" to describe the effect of their tech, which, according to them renders an object, person, or vehicle 85-100% invisible to the human eye or video camera in the visible spectrum (visible light) as soon as you flip the switch to "on", even while the cloaked item is moving.

Pictures are included on the site.

Wow, thats a pretty good find. I dont have time to read it now, but I will later.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Sounds like the Philidelphia Project making a comeback? We'll see if there are any reports of ships with dogs stuck halfway through them in the near future or not

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well I dont think it can be done, at least not right now, maybe in the future, but not now.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well it's about time the Starship Enterprise was using it years ago. Weren't they on our side?

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Its really going to be neat to see what they can do with this. I am thinking it might be used to make an object look like something else as well. but any way hear is a little more info for any one who is interested.

In electromagnetism (covering areas like optics and photonics), a meta material (or metamaterial) is an object that gains its (electromagnetic) material properties from its structure rather than inheriting them directly from the materials it is composed of. This term is particularly used when the resulting material has properties not found in naturally-formed substances.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Here is at least an article I found from a while back with a picture from a Japanese student who had made a interesting jacket to do this.

Does anyone remember on the Free Press International page, they had a video of a Japanese man standing in a street with traffic passing "through" him? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

*Edit - I suppose I should have provided the link
Link

[edit on 5/27/06 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Oh, doesent that guy have photocells on the back of his shirt or something, because I already know about that, and this is much different.

top topics

join