It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abbas gives Hamas 10 days to Recognize Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has given his rivals in the Hamas-led government 10 days to accept a plan for a Palestinian state to exist alongside Israel, or else he will call for a national referendum on the question.

Abbas urged the Hamas-led government on Thursday to accept the national goal of establishing a Palestinian state in Gaza and the West Bank alongside Israel.

"In 10 days, you have to decide; you have to agree," Abbas told a conference of Palestinian leaders, including Hamas and his Fatah Party, meeting in the West Bank city of Ramallah.

More at source

It looks like, one way or another, Israel will soon get what they are asking for. Either Hamas will agree, or Abbas will call a referendum to ask the people. Of course Israel will just move the goalposts again and say Palestinians are not a partner for peace just like under Sharon.

Or maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel now.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I'm very doubtful about that light. Time and time again we've been teased with that elusive light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, no matter how fast we run, we never get any closer to that light

Hamas has been dedicated to the destruction of Israel, so asking them to recognize Israel's right to exist now that they are in charge of the Palestinian Parialment seems to make no sense.

We don't know how the new Hamas leadership will look at the compromises that will have to be made in the movement toward peace. Will it, can it, evolve into a government that accepts a two-state solution? If a geographically and economically viable Palestine state were to be created next door to Israel, would they, could they, accept that neighbor? I can't see how giving them "10 days" is going to help the situation at all.

The probable outcome is that the bulk of the Palestinians will be on one side of the border in their own state, with the bulk of the Jews on the other side in a smaller, but more religiously cohesive, Israel.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm not ready to give up hope yet, but the most recent statement from Hamas does not look to enable my hopes.

Hamas has rejected a deadline set by Mahmoud Abbas for talks on a plan calling for a Palestinian state alongside Israel and put its militia back on the streets.

Talks on the plan, drafted by Palestinian leaders jailed in Israel, had been expected to begin on Saturday, but a Hamas spokesman said the leaders were still discussing a venue.

More at source

I think I may need to go digging into the PA constitution to see who can do what, but it appears the president has the power to call a referendum.

join