It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lay and Skilling Convicted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The prosecution phase of the Enron trial has concluded with the jury returning convictions against both Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling. Sentencing is set for September 11.

www.comcast.net
Former Enron Corp. chiefs Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling were convicted Thursday of conspiracy to commit securities and wire fraud in one of the biggest business scandals in U.S. history.

The verdict put the blame for the 2001 demise of the high-profile energy trader, once the nation's seventh-largest company, squarely on its top two executives. It came in the sixth day of deliberations following a trial that lasted nearly four months.

Lay was also convicted of bank fraud and making false statements to banks in a separate trial non-jury trial before U.S. District Judge Sim Lake related to Lay's personal banking.

Lay was convicted on all six counts against him in the trial with Skilling. Skilling was convicted on 19 of the 28 counts against him, including one count of insider trading, and acquitted on the remaining nine.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think most people will not be surprised by these verdicts. The conspiracy behind this case, however, goes much deeper than just these two scoundrels facing prison time, imo.

I believe one day the true perpetrators behind this massive fraud will be brought to justice. The sentencing hearing being set for September 11th is kind of ironic to me.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

The sentencing hearing being set for September 11th is kind of ironic to me.

You're not kidding. I guess it makes sense though, right? Well, not to us Peasants, anyway.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The employees who were robbed by these hoods should collective mass and stone them in a public square. But, no Kenny will be back at the Crawford photo-op ranch in 5 years sipping sasparillas with GW in the moonlight.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm not surprised by the convictions. Who would believe Kenneth Lay's attempts to be godly at the last second? He has done too much damage to industry and politics.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The worst part of this whole sickening fiasco is the fact that none of this money will ever make it into the hands of those who truely deserved it; The folks who had enough faith in their employer that they entrusted them with their life-savings, retirement funds, college funds, etc...and got screwed out of everything. These two jackals still have millions upon millions stashed, or sent to friends and family. They don't owe these people a dime according to Uncle Sam.

How many peoples lives were ruined? Not only unemployed, but completely broke...Blindsided by truely evil people. How many committed suicide?

We are truely running out of reasons to be proud Americans.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Life would be too good for these saprophytic blights. My major concern is that the next President will pardon them, they always do. This guy was one of the guys Cheney brought to the energy summit in 2000? That explains a lot about our present condition.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
To me the sad part is not only the people that got screwed and the fact that these two parasites will remain extremely wealthy, but also the fact that I (and I think many Americans) no longer have faith in the judicial system. Somehow the rich never pay for their crimes and I have a feeling these two will be no different. It really doesn't matter that they were convicted. It's the sentancing that I will be keeping my eye on. It will be a miracle if they get life.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by mecheng]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
damn lol you beat me
I spent to much time writting it all up.

yea ill go put mine down now lol.

like i said in the other thread i made, thank god.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
They potentially face hundreds of years in prison for their crimes. And I hope that the civil suits that are bound to follow makes them suffer more.

They tried to blame it on their accountants. Yet there was no explanation for them cashing out before the bottom fell out.

Did anyone hear Neil Cavuto today? I always had respect for his business acumen, but today, he almost seemed to be siding with the criminals. Very strange.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I was living in California at the time that Enron artificially jacked up the prices. I was paying $300 a month just for propane heat in my little cabin; before Enron it had only been $100 at the most. I had to struggle to put food on the table, literally.

My friend's sister was on disability with severe back injury/pain. She had been a bank VP, invested her money wisely and thought she was set for life. She woke up one morning and had lost I don't know how much, but at least several hundred thousand, the vast majority of her savings. Now she has only her small disability check each month.

It was awful and I hope thfry in hell, Lay, Skillilng and those idiots on 60 minutes that laughed about "that little old lady freezing to death in California because she can't pay her bill".

I say lock them away in a very cold, freezing jail cell and see how THEY like it.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
ken lay? goes to jail? NO?

i'll have to see it to believe it, there has to be some sort of appeal process. (didn't bush just appoint a new supreme court justice) this is bushes best bud after all. remember the christmas video bush jr, and sr. sent to lay requesting that he "stay in texas, because he is too important"

Its not like ken was alone in this, he would have needed many people to pull this off.

I always thought he would be found murdered, considering he ripped off thousands of people, who knows if one of them or some of them were maybe the types that dont take getting ripped off lieing down.

"HE DID WHAT? WITH MY MONEY? OH WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT." LOL, could have went something like that.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
just think about it, imagine if he went to jail with REGULAR CRIMINALS. thats probably the biggest joke, that in the end, i bet he will go to a white collar jail. If not, well then all i can do is laugh and say "YESS!!!!"

imagine his cell mate is like, "me and about 10 other guys families got screwed out of their life savings because of you...."
I think that would be the ultimate justice right there.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
My money currently, in that they're out on the street today, is that they even without passports hire a private jet and leave all these troubles behind to a country with no extradition. I'm sure it's been the bailout plan all along.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by polanksi
My major concern is that the next President will pardon them, they always do. This guy was one of the guys Cheney brought to the energy summit in 2000? That explains a lot about our present condition.

Not the next president, THIS president........These two will get one of those last minute pardons that George himself will hand out at the end of his term. ( Remember, like Bill Clinton pardoned his brother ?)

With a few good delaying tactics, they won't actually get jailed before then, and will end up serving no time atall! ( Still it's a nice gesture....sheesh!)

new topics

top topics

join