It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Gates Just Said

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
the internet - from a man who directed his company on the multimedia frontier and even changed his autobiography to encompass the internet - something his peers had been shouting about and he ignored.

Second case in point - palm devices - ask Jerry Kaplan about those - again something MS were very late adopters in. MS are adopters of technology - very adept at marketing - but IMHO sadly shot of innovation in the last decade.

NT was an adaptation of IBMs work - and why are we still using Windows 2003 for server products

A vision left behind in a world of open source ?

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I wonder about the guy sometimes. He does seem very nice, honest etc... but taht could be a good act, but I dont think so.

I have wondered if he's in with the govt or even nwo if its real??

I think he lost his "technical" edge a long time ago and is a cuthroat business man that can buy anyone or anything he needs. He can just wait for somebody to make some new bleeding edge tech and then either reverse engineer or buy it which is what MS is infamous for.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I agree with MajesticJax, 98SE was the best OS that has EVER come out of microsoft. The rest are really aweful.

Im a Linux guy firstly, and a PLC guy secondly (look it up if you dont know) I like stability in my operating system. I like being able to do what the OS was designed to do and not have to worry about it crashing speratically.
So when I say I think 98SE is stable, thats a big thing for me.

GO NIX!

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I wonder about the guy sometimes. He does seem very nice, honest etc... but taht could be a good act, but I dont think so.

Never met the guy myself, but from everything I've read on the guy, the likelihood that he is a nice guy to speak to on a face to face basis that doesn't involve "business" is good. Most Aspies are like that if you can get past their protective shell.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Repeat after me:

Microsoft has never invented anything.

The internet was invented in the US military (see arpanet).

The web was invented at cern.

The graphical interface was invented in Xerox labs, Palo Alto.

The mouse was invented by Dag Engerbard in 1968.

The Windows NT kernel is a copy of the VAX O/S.

The web browser was invented in NCSA.

The tcp/ip protocol and the protocol stack was invented in Berkeley.

Unix was invented by K & R.

Microsoft has never invented anything. Really.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
But they did popularize something which will be synomimous with Microsoft for years.

The Critical Security Patch.

Or maybe they DID invent it, I forget.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Didn't Al Gore invent the internet?

Sorry, had to be said. Computers are changeing all the time, just these past 3 years or so we now have duel processors and SLI/CrossFire. Companies are always changeing, some go from memory production to file management software. Mergers are another thing, perhaps one day MS will be knocked off the stool but I can't really say. www.megagames.com...
What kinda of irritates me is this new Windows Vista. Seems that MS has made some deals with game puplishers to make their new games Vista exclusive, as in good luck installing it on Win XP or older. I've also heard that Direct X 10 will be for vista only, but I haven't checked that out yet. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, there will always be that hacker that'll fix things up. Maby one day people will play Halo 3 on Win XP?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Microsoft don't innovate - they stamp out innovative companies.

By including "utilities" into their OS, they are driving many innovative companies to the wall...why would you buy a utility if MS includes in in the OS?

Netscape had 98% of the browser market so MS included Internet Explorer into the OS. Now they have none (but it's good Firefox is making an in-road).

Google is a threat to MS so they are now building in new "search" facilities into Vista.

Gates recently said they will "crush" Google as they did Netscape.

If MS sees technology they like, they either include it into their applications or offer a pitance for the company. If you don't sell, they put 100 programmers on the job to develop a competitive product and then ship it with the OS.

Slowly but surely, MS is turning their operating system into a business tool and slowly integrating business systems into the OS.

When Vista comes out, there will be MANY legal summons issued against MS.

You'll see

Cheers

JS

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
So you hate Microsoft because they see what others do and then make a version that comes in a package with everything else? Would this be like saying Ford Car Company is evil because they use safety belts after Chevrolet came out with the safety belt but didn't charge more for it?

Strange, a man sees what people want in several different products, puts them all in one package, and you hate him for it. Business people know what it is like to compete, if your competitor has something that people want you make a version of it that either is better, cheaper, or has more included then your competitors to make money.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
Didn't Al Gore invent the internet?

Sorry, had to be said. Computers are changeing all the time, just these past 3 years or so we now have duel processors and SLI/CrossFire. Companies are always changeing, some go from memory production to file management software. Mergers are another thing, perhaps one day MS will be knocked off the stool but I can't really say. www.megagames.com...
What kinda of irritates me is this new Windows Vista. Seems that MS has made some deals with game puplishers to make their new games Vista exclusive, as in good luck installing it on Win XP or older. I've also heard that Direct X 10 will be for vista only, but I haven't checked that out yet. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, there will always be that hacker that'll fix things up. Maby one day people will play Halo 3 on Win XP?

I heard about the possibility of an ATI & AMD merger which I suppose could be a great thing. I want a AMD powered duel core crossfire capable X2000XTX

I have heard taht you will be able to run DX10 games with DX9 as long as you have some serious horsepower in your hardware and you just wont get all the DX10 features.

The Crysis screenshots and gameplay footage from E3 were all done on DX9.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yumi:

>So you hate Microsoft because they see what others do and then make a version that comes in a package with everything else? Would this be like saying Ford Car Company is evil because they use safety belts after Chevrolet came out with the safety belt but didn't charge more for it?

If Ford convinced the majority of the engineers to develop add-ons for his car that gave him a monopoly and then Ford, later on, manufactured those same add-ons that those same engineers developed and included these new add-ons into his cars and sent into bankruptcy many engineers, then, yes Ford would suck.

This is what MS did with Windows 3.0 and VB1.

MS was a nobody until they brought our Windows 3.0. This version of Windows took off because MS pre-released VB1 so that when Windows 3.0 came out, there would be plenty of business applications to use with the new OS. Those same VB developers are now being screwed by MS.

>Strange, a man sees what people want in several different products, puts them all in one package, and you hate him for it. Business people know what it is like to compete, if your competitor has something that people want you make a version of it that either is better, cheaper, or has more included then your competitors to make money.

Yum, this is the same as your first paragraph.

I'm not saying you targeted me as "hating" MS or implying it's "evil", however I'm sure you're talking aobut other posts as well.

Over the last 20 years I've seen many good innovative companies go to the wall because of MS's tactics. It's probably not BG himself but there are many employees within MS and for them to "look good" they have a habit of "stealing" ideas from innnovative companies. Believe me, I know

Sure, business is business but one business may have morals and the next business will not.

Cheers

JS

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yumi
So you hate Microsoft because they see what others do and then make a version that comes in a package with everything else? Would this be like saying Ford Car Company is evil because they use safety belts after Chevrolet came out with the safety belt but didn't charge more for it?

It's the litter of dead and rotting corpses of companies which Microsoft Crushed with their Platform Monopoly, through either anti-competitive behavior(tying IE into Windows is a biggy) or out right Intellectual property infringment(Stealing Burst.com's Faster then real time video streaming technology) that make people dislike and even hate this company. Corporations are treated as Individuals with all the rights, yet none of the responsiblities if they are large enough to pay people to look the other way.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i totally agree with sardion2000.

couldnt of said it better. screw microshaft windose.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I use Microsofts OS and I like it.

I have XP Pro on one pc, and am running a Vista Beta on the other. It runs fine...But it cant connect to the internet...some sort of driver prob. I plan on DL Microsofts new Vista Beta 2...but currently its servers are getting slammed. I'm hoping it will detect my ethernet.

BTW, Google has said they are not working on the Google OS. But who knows...they might be keeping it from prying eyes while its in development...but even if they are working on it...it will likely be a couple years, and thats if there working on it now.

oh, and Vista is set to release in January (07) I believe.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
XphilesPhan
Actually, I'm useing a very stable version of ME. It took some getting used to but I fine tuned the OS and have not had any trouble. Then again I may have the only good version in the world!

I like haveing a system no one else knows how to use, let alone wants to. LMAO

Hey Advisor, I have the other stable working version of ME.
Haven't had one problem since I bought it in 1999. Haven't done any alterations either though, but very selective on the updates.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
valkeryie do you run ME on a dial up machine or is it on a broadband connection? Reason I ask is that can have a huge impact on how much a machine is attacked since nobody messes with dialup machines most of the time.

I had a ME machine on dialup for a long time I used for checking email, browing the internet etc.. and it was always good for me, but I know ME has some serious secutity holes so I wouldnt want it on a broadband connection

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
warpboost, was on dialup for the longest time. Have broadband now for the past 2 years, of course running a router and FW. Still haven't had any issues.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Gates has invented very little he made most of his money through buying products from other comapnies. His fist big break MS-DOS wasn't written by microsoft. Am I the only one here posting from linux?

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kipman725
Gates has invented very little he made most of his money through buying products from other comapnies. His fist big break MS-DOS wasn't written by microsoft.

Story I heard was Gary Kildall wrote DOS, Gates bought it for 50 thousand, hired Tim Patterson who made changes, called it MSDOS and then licsensed to IBM and made his first million overnight, and the rest is history. MS didnt invent the GUI which created by Xerox PARC. Douglas Engelbart invented the mouse, an MS took the ideas as well.

[edit on 9-6-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
It would be easy to jump on the bandwagon and bash Bill Gates for his success. I read it all the time on boards, hear it from folks at work or where ever. I think a lot of folks hate Gates because he made billions of bucks on buggy OS’s, and I have to admit I’ve been a member of that group, though it’s been awhile. Since Windows 98 SE, it seems to me Windows has become increasingly more stable. I’m running Windows XP Professional SP2 now and find it quite acceptable. For me it’s been stable and quite functional. I’ve also worked on quite a few of the Windows 200X Server family and think the server group is improving, too. They’ve been struggling to catch up with Unix in the midrange server market for a long time, and although they haven’t gotten there yet, I think they’re getting closer.

At any rate, I don’t bash Bill so much anymore. I think these days a lot of folks continue to bash him because it’s a popular thing to do, and/or to make points with other fellow bashers. It’s almost like a Bill Haters cult has developed over the years and no matter what he does, be it good or bad, there will be those who will find fault in it and will focus strictly on the negative.

One thing I don’t understand is why it is so upsetting to people that Microsoft doesn’t invent EVERYTHING they develop and bring to the market. Who cares that they didn’t invent the Internet, or instant messaging, or word processing, or the mouse, or anything else? How many successful businesses today actually invented the products they sell? What’s wrong with taking an idea someone else originally had, running with it, enhancing it and offering it for sale? Just because someone has a good idea doesn’t mean they should be the only one allowed to develop it and market it.

Regardless of all the buggy OS’s sold, and the fact that Microsoft has been successful in marketing products conceived by others, I think Gates’ greatest accomplishment and contribution to computing is for bringing at least some standardization to the desktop. Since most people run Windows and MS Office software, most other software developers, chip makers, etc. design their products to be compatible with this platform and, thus, standardization is acheived. Otherwise, the desktop computing environment would be chaotic at best.

IMHO, be it right or wrong, the evolution and advancement of our species is due to the ideas and efforts of maybe 1 tenth of 1 percent of it’s members. The other 99.9% of us just follow their lead, develop their ideas and enjoy the benefits of their genius. There’s no shame or guilt in that; it’s just the way it works.

Also, big business is cut-throat and will do pretty much whatever it has to to survive. It's the nature of the beast. Microsoft may be aggressive in it's business dealings and practices, but I think any company would have to be to acheive the same level of success that Microsoft has. In other words, if it wasn't Microsoft at the top, I have a feeling whoever was would be the target of the same ridicule currently directed at Gates. IMO it's not the companies who use aggressive business tactics to get ahead that concern me, it's the companies that rob their investors for personal gain. As I understand it, Microsoft hasn't done that, but rather has made quite a few people millionaires for their contributions and efforts.

PS: The person I find disgusting is Larry Ellison at Oracle. Now he’s a jerk …

PPS: FYI, I say all the above based on personal experience working on a technical level in both Windows and Unix server environments supporting Oracle and SQL Server databases. I constantly write code in a design/development environment using C, C++, Visual Basic, SQL, SQLPlus, and Unix Shell Scripting. I also administer a considerable number of both HP-UX (Unix) and Windows servers, and have previously worked with OpenVMS clustered servers, Apple networks, and in a few mainframe environments. So, I do have at least some basis for comparison. Even so, it’s all just IMHO. We all have our own …

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join