It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Target: New Orleans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The forecast gives New Orleans a nearly 30 percent chance of being hit by a hurricane and a one in 10 chance the storm will be a Category 3 or stronger, meaning sustained winds of at least 111 miles per hour (178 km per hour), said Chuck Watson of Kinetic Analysis Corp., Savannah, Georgia a risk assessment firm.

External Link

Ok, I'm really looking for people to pick this apart and tell me that the whole thing is BS and that this guy is a whacko like Eric Julian (end of the world, meteor guy). This is very disconcerting to me. Why should we even bother to rebuild if the chances are this high? I mean of course, 30 percent is not that high, but when you look at the chances spread out everywhere else this is the highest!

*mods, if this is in the wrong place, please let me know how to move it to the appropriate area*

The debunking of this will put at least 100 people at ease (somewhat), because it was shown to me, knowing that if anyone could make this something to laugh off, it was me.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Rebuild, yes, but not with traditional materials. There's no good reason to put up wobbly wooden buildings in a hurricane path, it just doesn't make sense. All those rubble piles are evidence, the logical conclusion is not to put another flimsy structure up and wait for the next blow.

No way, that's ridiculous. We should be replacing all those structures with lower-profile concrete structures, which will resist everything up to and including tornadoes, along with the ubiquitous hurricanes.

I mean, what's the sense in rebuilding the exact same structures that just got blow'd over? New structures, stronger structures, that's what learning a lesson is all about. As far as I'm concerned, when the new, strong structures are also cheaper to boot, both in terms of fuel efficiency and construction materials, the choice is clear.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
What boggles my mind is this:

Mercury News Article

Seriously! I would have expected the levees to be completely repaired, updated, and improved in about six months. They're just now finishing up the repairs (they're still not completely done) and they did a crappy job?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Either we need to not re-establish the city of New Orleans, or we need to fix the problem. What's happening is the worst possible scenario. People are moving back in with no gaurantee, or even a good chance that it won't happen again.

join