It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iTunes for windows released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
www.apple.com...

The text itself says the story...hell froze over.

iTunes 4 is the best software jukebox in the world, with a great music store inside. With it, you can create your own personal digital music library to manage and listen to your music collection, all with drag-and-drop simplicity.

iTunes encodes high-quality MP3s as well as pristine AAC, all in a free application. If you don�t like getting charged a subscription fee or paying for additional features like fast CD burning, your digital music experience is about to get a whole lot better.

iTunes 4.1 is available for Mac OS X, Windows XP and Windows 2000

I'm gonna download it and give it a shot anyway, i'll let you know how i get on with it. I may take the plunge and even *pay* for a couple of songs.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
i downloaded it, i think its the best (up there with winamp IMHO).

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 03:21 AM
link   
What the hell is up with all this "i" #? Everywhere you go, it's something an I in the beginning. i-pod, itunes.

Stupid ass mother #er who created that kinda #.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm surprised that Apple would actually release it for Windoze, because now you DON'T have to buy a Mac just to listen to teh service. It should help out their business though.

I've uninstalled Kazaa from my computer, in fear of getting a subpoena. I thought of trying out a service like iTunes, but since I listen mostly to classical, it's sort of useless because classical music usually have very generic titles and it's hard to look for the song your looking for. (Besides, it all sounds the same to me).

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerat
I've uninstalled Kazaa from my computer, in fear of getting a subpoena.

Puh-leez, Get Kazaa lite with the RIAA IP restricer and you'll be fine.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I've heard of that before Nerdling, but can't your ISP track you internet activities? It can get suspicious if you use excessive amounts of bandwidth over a long period of time. It's even easier for ISPs to track down file sharers if it has a small bunch of users, like mine, Altrio. Large companies like Adelphia and Verizon have alot of users (which explains why their service is so unreliable and slow), so it's hard for them to monitor evenyone at once.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Saucerat]

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I've heard of that before Nerdling, but can't your ISP track you internet activities? It can get suspicious if you use excessive amounts of bandwidth over a long period of time. It's even easier for ISPs to track down file sharers if it has a small bunch of users, like mine, Altrio. Large companies like Adelphia and Verizon have alot of users (which explains why their service is so unreliable and slow), so it's hard for them to monitor evenyone at once.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Saucerat]

Not really, they only do it under extreme pressure of the RIAA, your isp couldnt care less what your upto, they want your service and your money and they're not going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a lawsuit so you'll stop sharing a couple hundred songs, its just not profitable. They do care when you use all your bandwidth, anything over 5GB's a day is normally met with a polite phone call asking you to refrain from clogging the network.

Dont be so paranoid, ISP's have bigger things to worry about

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hey Nerdling, just curious, are you a guy or a girl?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I read a article about the RIAA and how long it would take them to sue all 60 million file sharers at a rate of 75 subpoenas a day (given that they even have that many resources):

60,000,000/75 = 800,000 days to subpoena every sharer

800,000/ 365 days a year = 2191 years!

The RIAA targets only major sharers with over 1,000 songs, so if you're still going the illegal way, don''t panic, but I don't reccomend it.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   

The RIAA targets only major sharers with over 1,000 songs, so if you're still going the illegal way, don''t panic, but I don't reccomend it.

Thats an incredible amount of time, and i get round that by A) not sharing B) when i do i move everything out of my shared folder when done.

and i'm a guy

xn

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Anyone think the RIAA will spend 2191 years suing all the file sharers? I think they're crazy enough to do it even though they aren't gonna win. I don't know why people would want to spend money paying for the mp3s when there's still some great p2p networks out there that are still free like WinMX. WinMX is spyware/adware/extra programs (that you don't want) free. If there were none of these p2p networks left, then I'd consider the new Napster or iTunes, if it's like a few bucks a month for unlimited downloads.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
the lawsuits are nothing but a token measure to scare off some of the more paranoid among us, as for napster...its just a ruse to get people to pay those few bucks...and then the download limits will drop to the point of CD singles. I like itunes because its a good media player, i have no intentions of actually buying songs.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I think file sharing will never come to an end. Everytime they find a way to put a stop to it, the sharers will find another way around it. The RIAA started subpeonas, now people are starting to set up darknet systems, allowing them to trade behind a privacy wall.

Just wondering, does anyone know about those websites that claim to offer free, unlimiter, legal downloads of all these songs after paying a fee? Do they really work? If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a few links:

www.mp3downloadhq.com...
www.easymusicdownload.com...
www.findanymusic.com...

And if you still can't live without getting songs for free and want it legally, you can always go to MP3.com.

Surprisingly, they actually have some pretty good stuff there!

new topics

top topics

join