It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body Fat: New Energy Source?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This may sound stupid so please be gentle.

I was having one of my semi-conscious thinking sessions earlier and I was thinking about how the world's population is getting fatter and also the energy source problem.

Anyway, my question is, would it be possible for human body fat to be harvested and used as energy?

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yes. We could eat people for food. I hear they do this in s ome places.
lol.
Erm, simply by peddling on a bike connected to a bulb u cud convert fat to energy (after a while of starvation and making sure get rid of glucose and glycogen stored first).

The fat could be burnt...people do this to each other in places too....

Fat holds quite a bit of energy but the extraction is difficult and costly .`. nto a very good power source.

It is very abundant in places though.
Like myself.

[edit on 24/5/06 by Shakeyjc]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The answer is yes. Any and all Fatty Biomass can be used for fuel to power a generator. Fats can also be used in certain explosives if you also believe Fight Club and Tyler Durden.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If you can find a way to clean out the impurities (some chemicals, including poisons, accumulate there), if you could find a way to harvest it safely (there's a number of deaths each year from liposuction, if you could find a way to shrink the skin back (not a problem in younger people but an issue on anyone over 35), and if you could make use of the relatively small quantities of fat you'd get from everyone (might not be enough after it's refined to make two gallons of biodiesel).

There's some fats you couldn't make use of (certain areas where you need padding and subcutaneous fat) and some you shouldn't (women need a certain amount of fat (estrogen holder) in order to get pregnant.

But, if you could overcome those issues, you could probably do it.

new topics

top topics

join