It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Istanbul Airport Fire 'Claimed' by Kurdish Militant Group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The fire that raged through Istanbul's main airport was brought under control and extinguished, and flights are resuming, but questions linger about what exactly started the fire. Officials have issued conflicting statements, and now a Kurdish group is said to have claimed responsibility via email. Their claims have not been authenticated, and the official word as of this writing, is that terrorism was not the cause of the blaze.

www.cbsnews.com
A hardline Kurdish militant group claimed responsibility for a major fire at Istanbul's Ataturk International Airport on Wednesday, a pro-Kurdish news agency reported on its Web site.

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons Organization, a hardline group linked to the main Kurdish guerrilla group, the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, said it started the blaze, which destroyed much of the cargo terminal at the airport, according to the Netherlands-based Firat News Agency's Web site.

Firat News Agency, which often receives information from Kurdish rebel leaders, said it received the claim by e-mail.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, this is a very interesting twist on the airport fire. I thought there might have been more to it when the story broke, but it was quickly ruled accidental. Regardless of what actually caused the fire, I am very disturbed by the trend I see. Something will happen that could be considered terrorism, and before any investigation is underway (nevermind completed) some official or another will bravely step in front of a camera and state that they have ruled out terrorism.

That's incredibly dishonest, from where I'm sitting. How can one rule out anything without an investigation? That's ludicrous, right? I think they rule out terrorism to maintain the illusion of safety, pending an investigation.

That being said, this could be a false claim on the part of the news organization publishing the claim, on the part of the people who made the claim, or it could be real. I don't know, and I suspect the investigators won't know for a while yet.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, the authorities are still saying it was an accident. Now they're starting to clean up the mess and tally the damages - which are sure to be significant.

Link

An extremist Kurdish faction claimed responsibility for the fire, saying it was in retaliation for Turkey's "continued annihilation of the Kurdish people." But officials discounted terrorism as the cause of the fire, saying it was probably sparked by a short circuit or a welder's torch.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Unless Turkish fire control, at an international airport no less, is poor or incompetent, I'm not convinced a spark could account for the size of this conflagaration. I can't picture a scenario where a cargo area has the combustible material necessary to fuel a fire of that size, that fast. The size of the fire suggests multiple points of ignition.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Any chance the terrorist organizations could be glomming onto a situation to make themselves look - choose one - fierce, terroristic or scary?

Nothing quite like running a terrorist group without having to actually be a terrorist.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Apologies for repeating this story, mods please delete my pending article?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To me this is a story of more importance than it might appear at first glance. The Kurdish minorities of Turkey, Iraq and Iran are all growing intensely restless over the last decade or so.

With the invasion of Iraq the Kurds have sought more and more autonomy for the Northern (oil filled) provinces of Iraq. If full blown civil war is actually raging in Iraq, and now Turkish Kurd renegades torching and targeting major economic hubs of the country, we could be witnessing the embryonic stage of a Kurdish proto-state forming.

This theoretical Kurdistan would most likely include territory from Eastern Turkey, Northen Iraq and Western Iran. There have been reports of Kurdish terrorists (MEK) training in Northern Iraq for incursions inside Iran.

It is my belief that the Kurds will be equiped and funded by Israel/US to wage a civil war inside Iranian territory in response to Irans defiance over its nuclear program.

The Kurds will most probably be officially denied a homeland as the US cannot afford to be seen to undermine Iraqi national integrity. Also the Turkish government would strongly oppose the breaking away of its Eastern territory. The Kurds have been betrayed before though, so who knows?

new topics

top topics

join