It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Urantia book... Ever heard of it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A friend of mine from work was recently telling me about somehting called the urantia book.

www.urantia.org...

Any thoughts as to who wrote it? I read on the site that it appeared out of nowhere in Chicago in the 1950's

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Sorry for posting in the wrong place. Still getting used to this place

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Probably Dr Sadler...

it was some pretty cool stuff in its day...
now holographic universe, Bleep, and a realm of the "beleive-conceive" groups replace the function, but it is pretty detailed, and worth a read....

For being such enlightened beings, they sure use alot of the wordy lingo though...

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I have a friend whos knee deep in urantia BS....Ever met a googley eyed scientologist? I dare you to tell the two apart with respect to the dreamy new age style crap.

I rarely spend time with this fella anymore....He is NOT the same fella I once knew thats for sure. Im quite certian there is some brain washing going on because hes spaced right out now.

Its very frustrating to watch someone you know loose their capicity to objectivly think for themselves. To watch them become more and more narrowminded everyday but proclaim that their eyes have been opened up to "reality" and "truth" and how he feels sorry for me???? Hes a smart guy but he cannot think for himself at all anymore....All he can do is entertain the ideas he is given. Its incredible but sad.

Ive fliped through the book a few times, read a few passages and as far as Im concerned, its all channeled new age BS and if you like thinking then stay away.

Thats only my take though.

[edit on 24-5-2006 by Census]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
[edit on 24-5-2006 by Iwasneverhere]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
here's some older threads on the Urantia book, might be of interest to you.

The Urantia Book

Urantia Book Discussion: Conspiracy or Otherwise

[edit on 5-24-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks worldwatcher. I will check them out. I did search the site for other threads on this but didnt find anyting

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I guess my main question is who wrote it? the supposed authors are quite interesting. If it was written by a man he had one hell of an imagination...

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Some Chicago lawyer who had an "Epiphany" one afternoon while staring at his salad and the next thing you know he's channeling aliens who are feeding him all of these "truths" about the origins of humanity and how Chirst is really just one of them and how they fly around the cosmos seeding planets and setting up religions everywhere they go because everyone knows organized religion is good for you, its all about self empowerment and enlightenment, never ever about the money and control of the masses....ya right.

....or something like that...

Again, all BS but its only my opinion

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't think it was written by just one person, but was perhaps a collaboration of several individuals of "The Forum" or "The Contact Commission".

Where Did The Urantia Book Come From?

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwasneverhere
A friend of mine from work was recently telling me about somehting called the urantia book.

www.urantia.org...

Any thoughts as to who wrote it? I read on the site that it appeared out of nowhere in Chicago in the 1950's

Yeah I heard of it. But I don't believe in it. I was looking at the reviews for their bible on Amazon.com and then found their website. It sounded more like a cult to me, Uranitarian's...I didn't look into it anymore after trying to read the book online.

top topics

join