It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS3 Pre-owned Games Banned!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This has to be to worst announcement ever. According to this article High street games shops have been told no dice on selling previously owned games. The article also speculates on how this is a move towards a new licensing system where consumers will only be purchasing the license to play the disc not resell and that the software on the disc you buy is still sony property.

Essentially if you go out and buy a new PS3 game you will not actually be buying the game you will be just buying the rights to play. Sure you own the disk but what good is paying an arm and a leg for a game in which you don't technically own.

I for one beleive this is one of the worst possible things they can do and I beleive it is another nail in it's overpriced coffin.

Article below:
==========

"
[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch.""

www.gamesradar.com...

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Wow. Taking everything away from the people eh? Now we cant even sell things we buy. Starting to get a tad ridiculous.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
How will the affect game rentals then because I am sure as hell not going to pay 60 for a game I don't know if I like.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't know about the rentals but if they do destroy the thriving second hand games market will they attempt to stop blockbuster and other chains from renting their titles? I think that Sony's goal is to receive 100% of all possible sales. I also think that the games will be more expensive then what a lot of people think. :bnghd:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
But we'll still be able to sell them on ebay right???

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1
But we'll still be able to sell them on ebay right???

No. When you purchase a game it locks itself to your own specific PS3(via Online Activation ala Windows XP).

So if your PS3 breaks and you buy a new one, you will have to re-buy all your games over again.....

No Rentals, No Re-sale, No-Profit for $ony from it's P$3 because consumers won't tolerate these types of business practices. Nintendo Wii and XBOX 360 will be the major winners due primarily to Sonys screwups.

I no longer Hate Sony. I pity them because they know they are falling by the wayside.

[edit on 24-5-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but if this does in fact come to pass I will not continue to use their future systems. I just hope some one else will get the licence to host the FF series.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This just encourages piracy.

:shk:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
That is pathetic. Second hand games are sometimes overpriced, but to completely take away the second hand market because you (Sony) can't make any money out of it, shows how petty and immature you really are.

Sure it may sound like economic sense, but does it really make economic sense to piss off the entire gamer market and annoy the Sony fanbase?

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor
I don't know about the rentals but if they do destroy the thriving second hand games market will they attempt to stop blockbuster and other chains from renting their titles? I think that Sony's goal is to receive 100% of all possible sales. I also think that the games will be more expensive then what a lot of people think. :bnghd:

I used to work of Blockbuster. They make a killing off selling PVP (Previously Viewed Product = DVD) & PPG (Previously Played Games). They buy the games and movies at a discount rent them out 10 cycles= profit then sell the used to customers for more profit. Sony's deal is going to hurt them bad. Expect to see big chain rental stores carry few PS3 and a lot of 360 games. That is unless Sony works out a deal for them, but then they still will have to deal with the whole license in the PS3 system.

Way to go Sony! Idiots! I was going to buy a PS3 but now....360!

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am almost certain that this would be illegal here in the EU -- I don't know about the US though.

I personally won't be buying one simply because the cost is outrageous. £425 without a game, so for a console and one game that'll be £475 (about US$888). No chance I am paying that just for a games machine with one game.

Perhaps those comments of God killing a kitten when you buy from Sony have some truth?

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well... if this comes to pass....my gaming days will stop with the PS2. :shk: I rarely buy games brand new, and I refuse to buy the new Nintendo console. And XBox 360 has even less appeal to me than the first XBox. *sigh* It'll be a sad day for me then the PS2 and GameCube games stop being made.:shk:

It's a sad day for all gamers. Either you buy games, or you sit in the dark watching the boob tube.

Like someone else said...this just improves the case for the people who are behind piracy should actually do this.

I can't wait until the riots start and people throw sony stuff into fires.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I just hope some one else will get the licence to host the FF series.

:shk:

SquareEnix and Nintendo are back together, and SquareEnix is the ONLY 3rd party developer to have the final Developers Kit for the Wii. They will not be bringing XIII to the Wii however, they are starting a new series(Crystal Chronicles) as well as porting and updating previous version of FF(Like FF3 for the DS Lite). Imagine FF6 or 7 on the Wii...

BTW The Wii is supposedly the only Console in this generation which will have a Physics Chip which is why it's specs will probably seem "puny" in comparision to PS3 and 360. Let me tell you, the addition of that one piece of technology could put Nintendo over the top again, and its about time too.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I may have said in an earlier thread that i would give up a lot for the Ps3 but even i think this is going to far for even a fan boy like me. Hopefully this is just a rumor perhaps even started by Sony in order to see how the public react, such practices arnt unheard of.

No. When you purchase a game it locks itself to your own specific PS3(via Online Activation ala Windows XP).

That will not happen, it sounds like a good idea for Sony but they will lose more money from their poor sales than they probably would from any piracy it prevents. Nobody is going to buy a game if they cant take it round there friends house.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
"The Wii is supposedly the only Console in this generation which will have a Physics Chip"

I know for a fact PS3 has a physics chip
gear.ign.com...

Infact there is no mention anywhere officially about Nintendo having a physics chip. PS3 is not next gen it is the same thing they have released the last 2 times on steroids. nintendo on the other hand is more or less interested in playabilty and 360 is well a juiced up x-box with a controller that reminds me of the dreamcast controller mixed witht he original x-box controller.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
FFS Sony wake up and smell the ashes of all those ps 3 sales going up in smoke....

Think its cool to announce stuff like this near to release date? Oh thats so smart for your future sales.... Oh and lets all pay software pirates instead of sony for our games....and then swap them around with our mates....oh smart stuff sony.

If this is true, my PS 3 orders being binned... i'll go updated PC.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
www.gamespot.com...

In this article sony says they will allow the PS3 to play borrowed and rented games. However I beleive this is so they can make money off of renting though they still do not mention re-sale of games. I think Sony won't allow second hand sales but they will allow renting because they still get market share through the contracts they have with companies like blockbuster to rent the games.

I beleive Sony will dis-allow second hand sales to increase profits and they will allow you to borrow games but if you want to buy a game you will pay the full price unless specified otherwise by Sony

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It's still going to be a shot in the foot for Sony's gaming capacity. And if they pull a stunt like this with the PSP (or a later version), they will be out of the gaming world period post PS3.

Well that's my opinion. I mean sure, they may have some followers, but I seriously think that they will not have the market share they have with the PS2.

They got to greedy, and now they will pay the price and open the window back up for Nintendo, and Microsoft wil waltz right through it as well :shk: sad day all around.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
gamesindustry.biz...

Don't worry guys its all cool, looks like you 'll be able to sell your own games and buy used ones (in Europe at least).

GamesRadar yesterday reported that Sony was warning high street retailers that the sale of pre-owned games would be illegal due to the licensing terms of PS3 software, which would mean that discs technically remained the property of Sony.

However, a Sony Computer Entertainment UK spokesperson today outright denied that any such message had been conveyed to retailers - telling GamesIndustry.biz that following conversations with the firm's European parent company, neither division has "any knowledge" of such a strategy.

"We have definitely not been communicating that," UK spokesperson Jennie Kong confirmed. "It's false speculation. We don't have any further knowledge about this topic - either officially or unofficially, to be frank."

Some of the PS3 haters have just been spinning yarn. So do worry and rest assured that the Playstation's next gen will be at the top of the gamming tree as it has done in its last two reincarnations.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Looks like Sony's just getting plain greedy.

Anyone hear about how music albums from Sony for some artists are now dub-proof? If you buy it, you can't bootleg it. I'll tell you, greed sure can ruin a good thing.:shk:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join