It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the huge trend in Tattooing and Body Piercing a sign of the End Times?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If it is indeed a sign of the End Times - I really apologize for my part in it.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Even though I'm not a bible believer I also don't like the tattooing and piercing thing. I prefer the natural way. And again, why are you attacking only the most obvious bodily modifications, is botox, plastic surgery and other cosmetic modifications taken into account as well? think about it

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance
Are we living in a day that the Bible speaks of in 2 Timothy 3:1-5:

1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

If you take even the most brief look over our history as humans, you'll find that our times have a lot less of this going on than some eras that came before us.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Dear me, I have a tattoo between my shoulder blades of wait for it... A Buddhist wheel! Your conformist/non-conformist point is an interesting one. I got my tattoo done purely because of its relevance to me and the way I feel. It's not somewhere where anyone who I wasn't close with is likely to see and I'm not that guy who sits in the pub showing it off to everyone. It's for me and my faith only. If people ask if I have one, I'm proud to say yes. Also before getting it done (at age 21), I looked at it every day and night for a month and made sure I wanted it with me for the rest of my life. I see it as not only a sign of my beliefs (and faith in any form is one of humanity's most redeeming features IMO) but as an absolute work of art. It's honestly quite beautiful.

I hope I picked the right path otherwise I'm in for it especially badly when it comes to the pearly gates, two birds with one stone I believe would be a particularly relevant phrase! Although, isn't that Deity the one who's big on forgiveness?

Anyway I sincerely doubt that I have a hand in the Apocalypse. What's probably more to blame for 99% of the World's bad feeling is the constant air of fear and threat of violence we're all living in, coupled with Humanity's blatant disregard and disrespect for Mother Nature. In short no, I don't think tattoos and piercings becoming more commonplace has anything to do with the end of the world as we know it.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
I always feel sorry for people with tattoos. For some reason I've always associated tattoos with low self esteem.

Never met anyone who hasn't, at some point, admitted to regret about having tattoos, which again, makes me feel sorry for them.

Well, if you count "meeting" someone online, here's one who has never - ever - regretted any of the tattoos that he's gotten - and I have generally pretty high self esteem, too.

I even had my ex-wifes name tattooed onto me even after I met my current wife. She didn't like it, but if nothing else, it was a reminder of a huige mistake up until I had it covered up. I sure don't regret getting that done at all. My only regrets are tattoos that I don't own yet - and those'll be taken care of eventually.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but then again, the difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people with tattoos don't care if you've got tattoos.

Deny Ignorance!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdp333
Well, if I could go back in time and tell my young, 19-year old self to put that 4th Jagermeister down and not to walk into that Tallahassee tatoo parlor where a small dolphin on my hip looked especially classy...I probably would.

Does this mean I should get used to the smell of sulphur now?

I think God will forgive me.......you only have to ask and mean it.

[edit on 24-5-2006 by sdp333]

Things done out of not knowing or foolishness of the moment, are forgiven.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Are you kidding me?
Are you Freaking kidding me?
Listen churchie,
People are going to do what they're going to do.
To say that people get tattooed to be considered "non-conformist" is an extremely ignorant statment (by the way, your idiocy is showing).
To sit there and speak for everyone (throughout recorded history and beyond) who has ever been tattooed is as enlightened as me saying "I know what's best for everyone because I was a screw-up teenager who, now having changed my ways and found Jesus (who, might I add, was hiding behind the couch the whole time...) and I can quote the bible so I can proceed to elevate myself by diminishing others". When it's put like that, it doesn't sound so good, does it?
As far as the "end times" go, the world (our world) has been around a lot longer than we even know, and it'll be around long after us.
Human beings are not the be-all-end-all of creation.
Anyway, tattooing is a matter of personal expression.
We live (thankfully) in a place where we can (to a limited degree) allow our outside to reflect our inside.
If someone wants to enhance (in their own opinion) themselves, who the hell cares?
Most of my tattoos are easily covered up (and I usually keep them covered unless it's really hot outside) because I got them for no other reason than to please myself.
That doesn't make my connection to god any less valid than any of you bible-thumpers.
I used to have piercings too (however, I took them out because, in a combat situation, they become an easy target), which again, doesn't make me any less pious.
Not only can I believe that you started this ridiculous thread, but I actually wasted my time replying to your nonsense.
You might want to consider the fact that what you say about others, says a lot about yourself.
And that's whats up.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Even though I'm not a bible believer I also don't like the tattooing and piercing thing. I prefer the natural way. And again, why are you attacking only the most obvious bodily modifications, is botox, plastic surgery and other cosmetic modifications taken into account as well? think about it

I'm not attacking anything, sorry, I don't like tattoos.
As for bodily modifications, botox, plastic surgery.....I believe if these things are done purely for pride and vanity then yes, they are wrong too. Now, I'm not talking about plastic surgery used to rebuild a disfigured person (accident/fire). I'm talking about a beautiful girl with big knockers having them made even bigger for men to google at.....that's vanity. Remember, pride is one of the 7 deadly sins.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
If I were to believe what organized religion teaches I might be worried. I don't think that My/Our Creator is worried about such trivialities. Which really is a good thing because I have more tattooed skin than not. What You see as a 'temple' ruined by 'graffitti'- I see as a blank canvas waiting for It's masterpiece. It is My expression of who I was, who I am and who I strive to be. Visual markers of My lifes lessons. A reminder that My body is just a waystation in this life. A vessal in which to carry My true self in anticipation of My next journey.

That, and I find them absolutely *HOT,HOT,HOT*!!!

Peace. K*

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
So if I understand correctly, I guess fashionable clothes can also be included in this? Infact and item of clothing you choose to wear should be, because in a way you are taking pride in your appearance and buying clothes to suit your own tastes?

Infact cleaning your teeth, doing your hair are all vain, people often do such things to attract the opposite sex, they are being vain and taking pride in their own appearance.

Tattoos are similar to clothes, I'm not vain because I have a tattoo. Aslong as I don't rub it in peoples faces I don't see what the problem with having a tattoo could possibly achieve. Like clothes, you wear a tattoo and having someone insult your personal choice without even meeting you and disagrreeing with your taste is utterly wrong. I could do domething similar and brand all Christians 'Bible bashers', I wouldn't though as I respect their personal views, in the same respect I wouldn't judge someone on what they chose to wear, I would respect their choice.

At the end of the day we are all vain to an extent, having a tattoo doesn't make me a better nor a worse person. When 'we go to heaven' isn't it the soul that goes? The inner beauty rises and leaves its 'carrier' behind?

It's the inner beauty that counts.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by Knights]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
Are you kidding me?
Are you Freaking kidding me?
Listen churchie,
People are going to do what they're going to do.
To say that people get tattooed to be considered "non-conformist" is an extremely ignorant statment (by the way, your idiocy is showing).
To sit there and speak for everyone (throughout recorded history and beyond) who has ever been tattooed is as enlightened as me saying "I know what's best for everyone because I was a screw-up teenager who, now having changed my ways and found Jesus (who, might I add, was hiding behind the couch the whole time...) and I can quote the bible so I can proceed to elevate myself by diminishing others". When it's put like that, it doesn't sound so good, does it?
As far as the "end times" go, the world (our world) has been around a lot longer than we even know, and it'll be around long after us.
Human beings are not the be-all-end-all of creation.
Anyway, tattooing is a matter of personal expression.
We live (thankfully) in a place where we can (to a limited degree) allow our outside to reflect our inside.
If someone wants to enhance (in their own opinion) themselves, who the hell cares?
Most of my tattoos are easily covered up (and I usually keep them covered unless it's really hot outside) because I got them for no other reason than to please myself.
That doesn't make my connection to god any less valid than any of you bible-thumpers.
I used to have piercings too (however, I took them out because, in a combat situation, they become an easy target), which again, doesn't make me any less pious.
Not only can I believe that you started this ridiculous thread, but I actually wasted my time replying to your nonsense.
You might want to consider the fact that what you say about others, says a lot about yourself.
And that's whats up.

Please take a little bit of a breather,okay - there's no need to resort to name calling, is there?

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I too have a tattoo. A wolf (big surprise, huh?). I am also Christian. And never ever did it occur to me that it's a "sin". I don't see how a tattoo could ever go "against God's will"!? Ladies (and gents) wear make-up, jewelry and designer outfits to "look pretty". Is it a sign of vanity or a bad self-esteem? No. You look good you feel good. It's interesting how people love to quote some passages out of Leviticus, and ignore some.

Nope. Tattoos have been around for a loooong time. I doubt that it has anything to do with "end of days". The ancient art of Henna (Middle east & Indian) is one of the most beautiful art forms in my opinion. I don't see how beauty could possibly be a sin or even evil?!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
So if I understand correctly, I guess fashionable clothes can also be included in this? Infact and item of clothing you choose to wear should be, because in a way you are taking pride in your appearance and buying clothes to suit your own tastes?

Infact cleaning your teeth, doing your hair are all vain, people often do such things to attract the opposite sex, they are being vain and taking pride in their own appearance.

There is a major difference between pride, vanity, conceit, narcissism and.......
and taking care of yourself and practicing good hygeine when looking for a mate.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Ladies (and gents) wear make-up, jewelry and designer outfits to "look pretty". Is it a sign of vanity or a bad self-esteem? No. You look good you feel good. It's interesting how people love to quote some passages out of Leviticus, and ignore some.

Vanity, also called vainglory, is an inordinate desire to show off one’s own excellence to others. It is also love of praise. Vanity differs from pride. The proud person believes in his own excellence. The vain person wants others to believe that he is excellent.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance
Vanity, also called vainglory, is an inordinate desire to show off one’s own excellence to others. It is also love of praise. Vanity differs from pride. The proud person believes in his own excellence. The vain person wants others to believe that he is excellent.

True, but does the need to look good make one automatically vain? You cannot deny that when you look good, you feel good. (And this has nothing to do with tattoos, does it?
)

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
True, but does the need to look good make one automatically vain? You cannot deny that when you look good, you feel good. (And this has nothing to do with tattoos, does it?
)

I'm thinking there's a very fine line between the two.
Humbleness will keep the balance maintained, IMHO.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by zerotolerance]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Is the huge trend in Tattooing and Body Piercing a sign of the End Times?

I dont think that the big trend in the above is an indication of the end of times,although many other serious events could well be bringing the end closer...

In some cultures they tattoo their right arm with a sign of the Cross and in some others they actually put a Cross on their foreheads....

Many Arabs(Assirian,Armenian and Coptic Christians in Egypt ?) do this as a sign of being a Christian.....how it came about i can't say.

I found some info .......
Quote///
There are many cultural reasons people will tattoo themselves that would be acceptable to the Church. The Coptic practice of tattooing a small Orthodox Cross on their hand or wrist is an example. Not only does it protect them from a forced marriage, but, according to an Egyptian man who attended our Church many years ago, if a pogrom occurs and he is killed and his body chopped up (happens!) at least if his hand is found that part of him will be given a Christian funeral and burial.
The above was taken from another forum.........I have not included the link ,coz ill be in trouble.....there are many stories of why tattoos are there for religious purpose...

His Grace Bishop Youssef:
Tattooing was a ceremonial rite according to which people expressed their sorrow at funerals. The heathen did so to pacify the infernal deities they dreamt about, and to render them favorable to their deceased friend. God commanded that this must not be imitated by His people. His people, whom the God of Israel had set apart for Himself, were not to receive the image and superscription of these worthless deities, and were therefore not to make cuts or prints in their flesh. Such practices were signs of rebellion against God Himself.

During the era of persecution, the Coptic Christians were prevented from wearing crosses or declaring themselves Christians. As the persecution increased, Christians started to tattoo the cross on their skin as a sign that they would never denounce their Christianity. Henceforth the cross tattoo became a sign of holding on to the Christian faith. I think that in our time it is more important to tattoo the cross on our heart rather than our skin.

Also some Ethiopion women have a tattoo of a Cross on their foreheads..
Czar Nicholas II has dragons tattooed on both arms and a tattoo of an Eagle .

Is it a sin?
Well, who are we to judge.....Let God be the Judge.

IX
helen

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Boy, all those people with tatoos that say "JESUS", various bible verses, and have giant crosses on their arms and backs are in for a surprise

When it comes to biblical law, there is a hell of a lot we aren't doing (no pun intended). How many Christians eat pork? There are a lot of random, pointless laws like the "dont wear clothes made of two materials" mentioned earlier that really have no rhyme or reason. Seems to me that most Christians pick and choose whatever laws go with their lifestyle.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by godservant

...Christ taught against such small matters. It is not so complicated as many wish to make it. Simply "Do to others as you would have others do to you." and "Love your neighbor as yourself"......

thank you very much for posting that.....I wish most people would realize this is the ultimate truth....all these "secrets" and "codes" portrayed in the media and culture nowadays are just diversions....

It's good to see another human being with TRUE KNOWLEDGE!....it is rare around this place as of late....

Now to the topic of Tatooing...

It probably all started with Azazel....teaching man to make implements of war and women to beautify themselves through cosmetics.....

It was a heavenly secret that was evily implanted into this world, thus being condemned by God....and his followers....

Tatooing in general IS a sin, BUT...and I STRESS BUT...if taken literally, 90 percent of what we take as common practices would be considered sin as well....That's the beauty of forgiveness.....

I would assume that God (or whatever deity you choose to follow) has bigger things to worry about than who has marked their body, and who has not....Also, one can argue that you can use your tatoos to glorify your deity.....but on the other hand, if you believe it is a sin, it kind of falsifies your obedience to that deity...so you have to know why you are getting one, if you choose to do so...

I believe the current "trend" as you call it has been around for a long time, as has been discussed earlier in this thread, and with my mention of Azazel...but I agree people do make stupid decisions as to why and get a tatoo sometimes.....it is trendy to some, and they see it as nothing more than being "cool"..

I personally do not have a tatoo, but have thought long and hard about getting one....if I do, it wil only be one or two....one to honor my wife (the chinese characters for "Eternal Love") and the other to honor my belief that we all have "God" inside of us and that he/she/it is with us always(the latin phrase Deus Vobiscum ("God Be With You")).....

just my 2 cents....

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hello, I'm new and my decision to join this community was based on this very thread. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude but I am astonished to see all the arrogance and ignorance in here. First of all let me ask, what could oppose Gods will? Nothing, could it?

Originally posted by Dock6I always feel sorry for people with tattoos. For some reason I've always associated tattoos with low self esteem.

Never met anyone who hasn't, at some point, admitted to regret about having tattoos, which again, makes me feel sorry for them.

Again, not trying to be rude but this has got to be the most arrogant post of them all. Infact, your post says more about you than the tattoo on my face says about me. It's as if people think they're taking their body with them to heaven or something.

I have a question, how many people here smoke, drink or eat fast food (or have in the past?) Yeah, your body is such a temple, isn't it? Seeing how getting inked or pierced (professionally) is much safer than any of those things.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join