It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DVD backup to hard drive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I have a couple of DVDs that were made on my brother-in-law's computer. They have a run time of about 30 mins.

How do I copy these DVDs to my hard drive. I would also like to be able to find a website that can host these for other family members. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
there is a program out called 'dvd shrink' that will let you back up dvd's to your hard drive. www.dvdshrink.com...
Also you could do a google search for video conversion software, and convert non copyrighted dvd to .MPG or .AVI format.
www.google.com...

Edit = added links

[edit on 5/25/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Most CD/DVD writing software, such as Nero gives you the opportunity - when you're writing a disk - to either write to a CD/DVD writer (RAM) or to the Hard drive, i.e. an "Image" of the CD\DVD. This image is also called an "ISO" or "Rip". The process differs from one software package to the next, but most of the time you have this choice where you need to choose to which device you want to write.

You can't do anything with the "copy" of the DVD on your Hard drive, other than write it to another DVD. Thus it is a true backup. It usually takes up a whole lot of space, so I'd say it's just cheaper/better to copy it to another DVD. If that's not an option, Mechanic's suggestion will also work - to "shrink" it to other formats.

Let's leave it at that not to be too technical, as we're bordering illegal activities.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the input y'all. It's not anything illegal I'm trying to back up. I just want to figure out a way to get my parents' memorial videos on line for family and friends. I made the originals on my brother-in-laws computer down in Florida. I don't remember the name of his program but it's expensive.

Still looking for a place to host it.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong to backup your home-made DVD. Even you want to rip some DVD movies for personal use, which is also common. Don't treat the whole things too much. many people incine to HandBrake to rip and backup DVDs, so you can try this one. Well, maybe you will enconter with some issues like DVD copy protection. You can follow this www.videoconverterfactory.com... to wotk it out.

top topics

join