It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theft by ATM Conversion - Be Aware

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This came to me in an email and I searched ATS to see if it had already been posted. I couldn't find it. I researched and found it on the Internet. See the link for more information and pictures.

Bank ATMs Converted to Steal IDs of Bank Customers

A team of organized criminals are installing equipment on legitimate bank ATM’s in at least 2 regions to steal both the ATM card number and the PIN. The team sits nearby in a car receiving the information transmitted wirelessly over weekends and evenings from equipment they install on the front of the ATM (see photos). If you see an attachment like this, do not use the ATM and report it immediately to the bank using the 800 number or phone on the front of the ATM.

This is not an Urban Legend

"ATM skimming" — a method of identity theft using special equipment covertly installed on bank ATMs to capture users' PINs and card numbers — is a real crime and on the rise, authorities say.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I've heard of similar devices being used before, though I am not aware of this specific incident. Another one that has been used attaches to the entrance to the bank outside. Where I live, at least, there are slots to put your card in as a kind of key if you want to use the ATM after hours. The crooks put a device similar to the one in your picture on this card slot outside, and got the card#/pin that way.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Someting like this im not sure if it was wireless transmittors or not.. happend like 2-3 months ago.. this is a small swedish town btw.. i think they had tried it in a number of towns.

Now there are some metal spike like things on the ATM to prevent from putting these fronts on.

www.aftonbladet.se... - tampered with

www.aftonbladet.se... - like it should be

images where taken from this swedish artikle.
www.aftonbladet.se...

So no its no urban legend..

[edit on 24-5-2006 by SilverSurfer]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is serious stuff. I'd thought this'd be common knowledge. I'm surprised. Go figure. Canada's RCMP has many cases on the books and some convictions going back to 2002 I believe. The hardware is off-the-shelf in SE Asia and the pass-thru cover plates are the reader and transmitter. Cameras have been used to snatch data for years too... you know the key pads you key your PIN into? Well each of those keys has a particular unique "electrical noise" - map this noise per ATM or keyboard and "hyperbolic listen" tech to decode is much simpler for the PIN. Not that difficult.

BTW. Did you know that mag stripes don't always need a reader in close proxity to read or write? We have had times that some data (albeit corrupted hash) is picked up by our RFID reader logon buttons that can only be coming from mag stripes in the persons wallet. Twice people's credit cards have "stopped working" after this sort of read/write anomaly.

Thanx, a serious issue for sure,

Victor K.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I've heard of this kind of thing happening here but I dont know if you guys in the US have chip & pin machines in stores etc ? Anyway there was very recently a story here in the UK that criminals were going into petrol stations claiming to be engineers for these systems and they were taking them away to put a new chip in them that stores all the card details and the pin.

Chip & Pin

Chip & Pin Fraud

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Thanx arnold! Many American petrol filling stations have what many call "a speedpass" which is the RFID equivalent tech in NA. Some are based on Texas Intruments patents and some on Dallas Semiconductor tech and still others are being developed by companies like DieBold. Everyone has their own version customizations.

We use it as part of our network logon mix of biometrics and keys... for us, we have 100% logging on our various subnets as we all are held to account for all data transactions and documentation of our clients in the insurance biz. We've been like that in re-insurance since '99 or so. The big problem is retiring data safely with documentation - what a nightmare. There are no sensible laws and fewer guidelines of ethics that aren't out-of-date by the time they are published. Building the data-stack is the easy part. Retiring data safely with documentation is just as important but exceedingly expensive.

"Drive aways" and "Gas and Go" fuel thefts are becoming a problem in Canada and the Petroleum Institue and the Association of Independent Fuel retailers have employed a group I work with to "make the problem go away". We will have test fueling locations and our server stack at 1 Yonge St in Toronto up and running by July or August... they want a "complete answer" in operational service by Sept 2007. Very nifty DB... photo-comparative and near realtime pretty much automated.

new topics

top topics

join