It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalists Boycott Harper May 23 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
A place to analyze what appears to be organized disinformation efforts. Good, I hope I have the correct forum. If not please feel free to move this post to an appropriate niche. I don't remember this happening in '50 or so years of Canadian being.

Mr. Harper is our Prime Minister. His first 100 or so days of power have past with varying opinion as to his successes - hey it's politics, who are you going to believe? The "Media"?

Well, recent developments in his media handlers management of the press has been less than stellar by the accounts of some. I sense a disinformative organized effort somewhere in this story (perhaps from all sides) that may mark a watershed or a turning point of sorts. For myself I'm gonna call it "the day I noticed something was wrong." The press aren't saints either but they are the press and today a very weird thing happened in Ottawa.

Mr. Harper and Peter McKay (nice young fellow, bad hand of cards to play) announced like $40 or 50M CDN to Darfur to encourage others in the international community to get involved. I welcome this announcement, however late and lame. But that's not the story, the story is Harper refused to take any unscripted questions so the press left Mssrs. Harper and McKay standing there. The Prime Minister of Canada and the Minister of Foreign Affairs - just standing there looking way uncomfortable. I've never seen anything like this in my life... times change.

The National Press Gallery of Canada turned their backs to the Prime Minister and quietly left without asking anything. Not even one question. I'm not sure this'll make the TV news but I'll post a couple of corroborative links for those who may be interested. Disinformation, organization?

Maybe both, no, more like all sides have lost a little credibility with me. I can understand the motives of the press but Mr. Harper's handlers need a shuffle North. link The Washington Post correspondent Doug Struck has called his media management "reprehensible." link Some in his own caucus are upset too. I hope this disinformative organization(s) would give "Joe Average" not to mention the press a break eh.

Go Oilers Go! Lord Stanley's Cup needs to come home,

Victor K.

[edit on 23-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Oh boy! Mr. Harper is up in the polls so he can disregard the press? Read all about it... CBC is reporting Harper as "finished with Ottawa press corps"... Shades of 43?Hello, Asper family? PM Harper here. Listen, I uh, need an unbiased broadcaster to only ask approved questions. Uh Huh, Mhmm, Winnipeg you say? Fine will it make the "Six" in Toronto? Good, the Challenger jet is fired up, see you in 4 hours. The CBC version of events can be found at this link. Video at this CBC link.

Free press? How about no press? Yikes!

Victor K.

[edit on 24-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Seems like the fool (steve) is copying all the tactics George Bush used in the past, like not allowing press to see coffins coming home, getting more involved in the middle east, talking with a big stick etc.

And now trying to manipulate what Joe public needs to know from the media.

I frown on Stephen Harper

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The great thing is that unlike the supine US press, the Canadian media aren't playing ball. Hooray! Wish more press people acted like that.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Thanks for noting this for discussion.

I tend to stay away from the Politic Topics, but Kudo's to Harper for doing so.

As a Canadian, and whenever the opportunity arises, I attempt to remind us all here (Toronto Area), of our Criminal Leftist Press.

Years of pathetic journalism in this Country is now finally, being confronted.

Ciao

Shane

new topics

top topics

join