It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voyager II Nearing Solar System's Edge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
jra

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by s13viper
but the laws of physics dont suddenly change just because its the outer solar system, all the same laws still apply

Well no one said anything about the laws of physics changing. But there are most likely a lot of unforseen things that could be affecting the two probes. It may just be the magnetic effects of the Sun or something to do with them entering or getting near the heliopause or something like that.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a previous post mentioned something about humans lacking the understanding of gravity, and hence why they are offcouse

i was stating that, the laws we know have been put under every test/experiment they can be yet still stand, theres no reason to suspect otherwise

i dont expect there will be some new "law of gravity" , it will mearly be a extension of what we already know, if thats the case at all

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by s13viper
i dont expect there will be some new "law of gravity" , it will merely be a extension of what we already know, if that’s the case at all

When the Massive hadron colider at CERN comes online next year, there is rather a lot of speculation about what the discoveries may or may not be.

One of the most intriguing discoveries anticipated would be the Higs Boson. This is a theoretical particle that explains gravity. a so called graviton particle.

Why some matter has more mass than others is the key question for all physists around the world.

After all the rest energy in matter has to come from somewhere, right???

Einstein’s observations were based on the effects that mass has on space-time i.e. warping etc... However he does not conclude why matter has mass or where mass comes from.

Once we can understand this then we can start to unlock some of the other mysteries that are about at the moment such as what actually is Dark Matter??

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 10-7-2006 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Here's a wild thought.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe there is a planet way out there having an effect on the Voyager's adventure through space.

FATMAN

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatman
Maybe there is a planet way out there having an effect on the Voyager's adventure through space.
FATMAN

This can't be the case as voyager one and voyager two are travelling in very different directions.

ALl the best

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Anyone know how powerful the intersteller winds are?

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I think we are going to discover that light and mater behave a lot differently outside a large gravity well. I believe once outside of the suns gravity that faster than light travel could be possible or at least much greater speeds are possible.

I believe we will discover there is also an inate energy in what most think is empty space when your no longer in a gravity well.

These discoveries will open up the universe to humanity. I beleive the laws of physics as we know them do not apply when things are not subjected to a sun or other large gravity force.

We are always looking into the light (stars, glalaxies) for answers butI believe the answers lie in the space in between.

I would not be surprised if both voyagers rocketed away from us once they are completely free of our solar systems gravity.

[edit on 14-7-2006 by Xeven]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   

posted by The Director

Anyone know how powerful the interstellar winds are?

The Solar Wind would be the nearest thing to an interstellar wind we have first hand experience with. I don’t think the Solar Wind is sufficiently dense that it would have much effect on any solid object.

I think it is the speed of the particles - high energy electrons and protons - that make up the Solar Wind that is dangerous. Wikipedia says similar winds in space are called “stellar” winds or as you have suggested, “inter-stellar” winds.

I find it interesting to consider the effect the very fast wind on Mars would have on a person. The Mars winds are said to be up to 500 mph. Yet the Martian atmosphere is less than 1% fhe density of Earth’s.

Does that mean a 500 mph wind on Mars is like a 5 mph zephyr on Earth?

See en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7/14/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted by Neon Haze

A couple points . . both voyager 1 & voyager 2 are off course by exactly the same amount. This could have been caused by something very interesting, either our calculations are wrong or there is an unknown force exerting its influence on voyager.

The results of this reconstruction will tell us where the force was originally felt by voyager . . How strong the force is, and the directions of the force . . the effects of the solar wind . . an error in the way the data has been collected . . a serious error in our basic understanding of gravity.

The results will be in later this year. I will keep you all updated. All of the best . . Neon HaZe [Edited by Don W]

Please clarify for me. You reported “ . . voyager 1 & voyager 2 are off course by exactly the same amount . . “ would that not seem to point more towards a mistake in our calculations? I think V1 and V2 were launched a few days apart. Each had its own mission. After completing the assigned missions, both spacecraft were performing so well it was decided to keep them turned on and tuned in. Over time, V1 and V2 are not where we predicted they would be. So the very important question is why? As you have pointed out.

Please be sure to add me to you list of those who want to be informed of developments to be forthcoming.
e-mail: [email protected]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join