It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone on the east coast see this right now?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
i just went outside to check, and it is too cloudy to see anything. so i guess i too will be waiting for either a picture or the sky to clear.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I took a picture of the sun and looked back at home and all I saw was the sun and its glare. No objects. Many Blessings

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Partly cloudy here in central MA at 1635 EST. Nothing unusual at all, not even a chemtrail (which I've never seen even after countless hours spent looking).

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
When I was outside during lunch, (Southern New Jersey), I was able to see a thin crescent of the Moon.

It was very clear out with a few cumulus clouds.

Maybe that's what you saw?

[edit on 23-5-2006 by Junkheap]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Keep in mind that starting a bogus thread is punishable here at ATS.

All stories must be legit.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It isnt an eclipse. Eclipses happen only during the new and full moons, which niether is the current phase.

I dont live on the East Coast U.S., so i dunno what youre seeing. If its at sunset, it wont be the moon, because the moon is in the last quarter, and thus, wont be visible to later on around and after midnight.

It sounds to me like maybe you are seeing some of the planets. Perhaps Mars. I dunno what venus current position is. maybe Jupiter could be it as well.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Is this guy new on the planet? Has he not seen the moon before? Or maybe he has never looked up. Or, he just hasn't seen the moon enough to know what it looks like.

Tip: The moon is a roundish looking rock that orbits the earth at a distance of approx 384,000 km. It goes thru phases and affects the tides. If you jump really high, sometimes you can see the other side.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Is this guy new on the planet? Has he not seen the moon before? Or maybe he has never looked up. Or, he just hasn't seen the moon enough to know what it looks like.

Tip: The moon is a roundish looking rock that orbits the earth at a distance of approx 384,000 km. It goes thru phases and affects the tides. If you jump really high, sometimes you can see the other side.

Are you even bothering to study some simply astronomy?

The moon isnt visible right now at the time he is seeing this. Read the above post.

The moon does not come out until later on tonite after 12 p.m.

Tip: Moon phases are the easiest aspect of astronomy to understand. if you look at a clander, you can see what phase the moon is at. When you know what phase the moon is at, you know when it can be seen and what it will look like.

Example:

new moon: Moon is in the relative same position as the sun in the sky, thus, it cannot me seen because it appears next to the sun. Sometimes, the moon will move into a position that shadows and blocks out the sun for a little bit, thus creating solar eclipses, full and partial.

first quarter: Moon can be seen in the early hours of sunset, not far from the setting sun. The appearance of the moon will be a crescent until it becomes a half moon. This is due to the earths shadow on the moon covering up most of it, and the crescent visible part is the part of the moon that is being hit and reflecting sunlight. During this phase, the moon will set before midnight

second quarter: the moon goes from half shape to full. the half moon can be seen in the afternoon at its peak and sets in the earlier hours of evening.

full moon: once a month, the moon is full. it is visible the entire night, from sunset to sunrise. The moon is in its opposition position from the sun, thus reflecting fully the sun off its surface. Sometimes, the earth moves between the sun and moon, casting a darkened shadow over the surface, thus creating the blood red moon, otherwise known as the lunar eclipse.

third quarter: the moon is decresing in size, going from full to half again. the moon rises after sunset till midnight during this phase, and is visible till dawn.

fourth/last quarter: the moon rises at around midnight to dawn, in crescent form. the moon is returing to the newmoon phase. It can be seen only in the later hours of the night/early morning.

Reading this persons description of the pbject, it is quite clear, given the current moon phase, time he is seeing the object, and the direction shows us that he is indeed NOT seeing the moon. Most likely, a planet or something else.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? People are still dicussing this? And now arguing about whether it's the moon or sun this guy is talking about? Unbelieveable. Maybe I'll should start a thread about why the sky suddenly turned blue this morning.

Guys, he was trying to pepetuate the "comet hitting us on the 25th story" that's been going around. Otherwise, why hasn't he come back to this thread with anything else.

Can we put this to thread to rest now?

[edit on 24-5-2006 by mecheng]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
Are you kidding me? People are still dicussing this? And now arguing about whether it's the moon or sun this guy is talking about? Unbelieveable. Maybe I'll should start a thread about why the sky suddenly turned blue this morning.

Guys, he was trying to pepetuate the "comet hitting us on the 25th story" that's been going around. Otherwise, why hasn't he come back to this thread with anything else.

Can we put this to thread to rest now?

[edit on 24-5-2006 by mecheng]

And you know this HOW? Where is your proof, hmmmmmm?

I havent seen anything in his post that suggests he is blaming it on the comet or anything else for that matter. He saw something he is not familiar with. Some that is most likely astronomical in nature. probably one of the planets in unsual condition. its an honest mistake, a mistake thousands of people make.

He hasnt come back to this thread most likely because he is not online, if you even bothered to look.

I find your obsession with closing this thread to be silly and juvenile. This forum is for UFO reports. No scoffing or mocking people who make them. Which you seem to be doing for no legit reason.

This forum is for the discussion of UFO sightings, both real and those that are most likely mistaken identity. The ones that are mistaken idenity or some mundane explaination are just as important to discuss as the more unexplainable ones, as it can help people in the furture when identifying strange things in the sky. it is important to educate people on identifying things that are commonly mistaken for UFOs, to help better educate them so they can tell the difference between Venus seen in unusual conditions and something that is truly strange.

Just because someone makes a mistake in identifying an something they do not understand does not make them hoaxers or idiots.

On this site, we like to give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them to honestly and openly talk about things that puzzle them, instead of imediately assuming they are full of crap and start mocking them.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Skadi, you need to relax a little. You're way over the top in the way you are defending this thread. Most of the replies were in jest anyway, but you are taking it way to seriously.

Holy jeez.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
No, I am not overreacting. The replies I am refering to were not made in jest or sarcasm.

I am not defending this thread in paticular, but a problem I see alot of on ATS: jumping the gun, scoffing and accusations with no legit reason to back them up, when people come on reporting something. People saying, close this thread, or ignore this thread, ect, for no really logical reason bug me. it tends to discourage other people from reporting their sightings, even if those sightings turn out to be normal mundane things and errors are made honestly. People should not be made to feel stupid for reporting something they cannot identify or are unfamiliar with. it is also important to find possible explainations for the incident, and learn from it, how not to make a similar mistake in the future when seeing something odd.

I see too much gun jumping. Simply because there are hoaxers out there does not give us the green light to jump on anyone who comes out claiming to have seen something. Benefit of the doubt. So far, Son of Man has done nothing but report something he found rather strange. So what if its a mundane astronomical object? Its a learning experience.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
quite beautifully said Skadi. There are alot of people on here (everywhere) posting b.s just to get a rise, but everyone can't assume that everything seen, without evidence is a hoax. Not everyone has a camera with them everywhere.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Skadi
I assumed heavenly body at first only because asking an entire coastline if they see something it would have to be something extremely large. It didn't even occur to me that it could be a UFO..or else it would have to be of great proprotion to be visible from an entire coastline. Would it not?

Pie

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
skadi

I am just having fun with it. If you knew me then you would know that I almost never seriously jump on someone.

I was just ribbing a little, OK?

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I see Bush floating on a cloud with a pitchfork in one hand and a horn on the other.

Anyone see it?

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
skadi

I am just having fun with it. If you knew me then you would know that I almost never seriously jump on someone.

I was just ribbing a little, OK?

If so, then I apologize. Nothing wrong with harmless fun, but I took your post to mean otherwise. Again, my bad.

I am simply defensive of people when they are trying to in good faith, post something puzzling, and people jump all over the friggin place mocking or saying hoax hoax hoax, give proof, ect. As someone just said, not everyone walks around with a camera or has one that is easily accesible. Thus, just because someone hasnt taken pictures of the object and posted them does not mean they are BSing. They may not have a scanner and only a normal camera. And besides, not everyone is going to take a picture. Some people feel that its a waste of film to take a picture of a puzzling object that might indeed be normal.

Anyway, I am not opposed to making jokes or having fun in a harmless way. But I have been noticing a certain agression lately towards people posting stuff like this and get really annoyed by it. I like to give a person some space to make their case, and then people can debunk, explain, or speculate about it.

Your humourous intent must have escaped me, so I am sorry for that.

I simply want to maintain an environment where members, bnew ones and old ones, can feel assured that they can post their sightings in an environment where it will recieve serious, civilized discussion. if it is a hoax, it will prove itself to be one without member goading and speculation. If it is not a hoax, we can either discover the mundane explaination, and thus, help spread knowledge of identifying normal objects in the night sky. Or, we can be truly awed and amazed by whatever it is.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mecheng
It's BS...

I think he's trying to perpetuate this whole comet hitting the Earth disaster story that's been going around...

Thats exactly what i was thinking, it supposed to happen tomorrow this whole Comet 73P thing, that i haven't hard much of

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Now this just may a stupid comment by me, but we'll try anyway.

I live in the midwest, the closest area to the Eastern US. If there was an object in the sky, would it really matter where in the country you were? Shouldn't we all see it all, and right now I see nothing. Neither has my family all day.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I don't know what he saw, but 2 days ago in the late afternoon I saw something floating fairly high, but not high as a plane -small in size, and it looked to be brown. I first thought it was a balloon, but it would stay put for a few minutes, then it would float a little ways, and finally it went out of my view. I watched it for about 10 minutes....yelling for the kids to come and see. I live in Oregon. This thing was floating about 4 to 5 times as high as a huge fir tree if you stacked them up. Don't know??? I should have ran for the camera

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join