It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mantell Case (man dies after chasing UFO in 1948) Recent news article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
What a sad story that one of the man who died while chasing a UFO. I mean, I bet this trully had to be something out of the ordinary to risk, or in his case, lose ones life to get a better look. I am not really familiar with this story but I found a news article which talks about it today. I will post this story here for all to see.

See story here

[edit on 23-5-2006 by Cabanman]

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This article was probably removed. I can't see anything there.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Works fine. Try it again!

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This case was one of the ones that got me hooked on UFOs way back in the 60s. I don't find Dr. Hyneks Venus theory very compelling. I've searched through my astronomy software and star charts and can't find any possible chance of him chasing Venus.
Simply put he asphyxiated. He reached an altitude where his oxygen supply couldn't keep him conscious.
What caused him to fly to that altitude? It's unlikely it was Venus. It was a UFO(an object, flying and unidentified).
My theory- an anomoly of light and atmospheric conditions that created a mirage type visual.
But then I also think that Arnold actually saw what he said he saw.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Many ufologists and researchers consider Captain Mantell to be the first fatality attributed to a UFO.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
Many ufologists and researchers consider Captain Mantell to be the first fatality attributed to a UFO.

Actually, most serious UFO researchers believe that Mantel died chasing a skyhook ballon which was launched from Minnesota a few days earlier. It is one of the few UFO cases where the ufologists and the Air Force concur. Mantell blacked out when he hit an altitude too high for normal oxygen breathing. The weird manuevers of the object Mantell was describing could be attributed to hallucinations from lack of oxygen.

However, if new compelling evidence surfaces that show different from the offical story, Im willing to look at it.

I am more convinced that the Kinross case is a genuine casuality of a genuine UFO. To this day no one has come up with a satisfactory offical story, and since it is not the only case of plane-napping by a UFO (Delta Sierra Juliet comes to mind, otherwise known as the Valentich case in 1978, in the Bass Strait off Australia's coast) it is not unique.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Mantel is considered the first modernday casuallity
If you trace the abduction Phenomona back a few years you'll see a direct corralation.
Some never came back.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Actually, most serious UFO researchers believe that Mantel died chasing a skyhook ballon which was launched from Minnesota a few days earlier. It is one of the few UFO cases where the ufologists and the Air Force concur. Mantell blacked out when he hit an altitude too high for normal oxygen breathing. The weird manuevers of the object Mantell was describing could be attributed to hallucinations from lack of oxygen.

I have to agree here. I actually have a pretty long post around here somewhere on it (check the cases sticky thread on the forum).

The evidence points strongly towards Mantel chasing a Skyhook balloon. The description Mantell gives, eyewitness descriptions (shiny, ice-cream cone shaped), the radio conversations, and the other evidence all seem to point to this explanation. By the classic definition, Mantel can still be considered the first casualty of chasing a "UFO", as nothing is conclusive, but the evidence is strongly in favor of a Skyhook balloon being the culprit.

new topics

top topics

join