It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My thoughts on Memorial Day and my thanks.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
In these troubled times, when our brothers and sisters, parents, and freinds are fighting a war so far from home. I thought it appropriate to take the time to remember them and those who went before. This day has special significance to me, because so many of my family have gone into harms way. Fortunately, none whom I have known have died in the doing. With my brother headed there in the not too distant future, it is very important to me.

Memorial day first began as a local observance to honor Civil War dead at Arlington National Cemetary, on May 30th, 1868. Although Waterloo, New York is officially credited with the first observance in May of 1866.

After WWI, Memorial Day observences began to honor all American war dead from the American Revolution, to present day.

Congress, in 1971, declared Memorial Day, a national holiday, and changed the date from May 30th, to the last Monday of May.

As I've gotten older, this last Manday in May has come to mean more and more to me, mostly in ways I can not always articulate...but I am going to try.

It begins for me with my father, who served with honor and distinction in WWII, the Korean conflict, and the early days of our involvement in Vietnam. He is amongst the last of these 3 war veterans. He sacrificed his youth, and a portion of his health in doing so.

But it, truthfully, does not begin or end with my father, though he owns primacy in my thoughts, obviously. All four of my sisters, including Gallopinghordes, served in the military for varying lengths of time, and my younger brother is currently serving, and may be headed back for another tour in Iraq or Afghanistan later this year. All of my uncles served, most during WWII and Korea. My mothers brother, my Uncle Tom, retired after 35 years in the USAF as one of the more senior NCO's. Family members for as far back as I have knowledge of served in our nations military. Some served in other countries before coming to America. So on this particular day, I honor their sacrifices, and those of others that I don't know, or know about.

These young men and women gave their bodies, minds, and last breath to protect me and mine. The least I can do is take a moment or two to remember them, and thank them for the freedoms we enjoy. The freedoms bought at such a dear price.

It really doesn't matter what our respective views are concerning the uses to which our military has been put. On this one day, we can set aside our political differences and honor the young men and women who sacrificed everything to protect us, and serve something greater then themselves.

Honor both the living and the dead veterans by taking a moment to thank them for their eforts and sacrifices on our behalf.

I'll start. To those veterans and those of you currently serving: I do thank you, with all my heart.

Related News Links:
encarta.msn.com

[edit on 23-5-2006 by seagull]

[edit on 23-5-2006 by seagull]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Seagull, whom you all know now is my brother. Thank you for your post. I can't tell you how much it means to me not only as a sister but as a vet. It is with great pride and humility that I read your post. Being allowed to serve your country is one of the greatest priviliges that can be bestowed on a person and I am forever grateful for being allowed to do so. It is rare that I am moved to tears but I was by what you have written. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I am going to Army OCS (Officer Candidate School) on July 20th. This is the first Memorial Day where I have really felt something (both pride for my future career, and apprehension for the dangers that await) despite those that have served in my family in the past. Seagull your comments make me remember why I am doing it. The political division of this country should always be set aside when it comes to the opinion of the solider/ airman/ sailor/ marine that is out there. We might be an all-volunteer military but we don't affect policy decisions. Support the troops!

[edit on 9-6-2006 by Baphomet79]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Thank you, Seagull, for this informative and personal thread. My father served in WW2, and we always flew our flag on Memorial Day, in memory of those who never came home. It was always one time his eyes filled with tears.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
An old thread, in fact one of my first ones, but appropriate for the weekend.

Our freedoms, our very way of life has been protected by these young men and women. Protected in all too many cases with their last breathe, or in others their health, both physical and mental.

My father served in three wars (Vietnam, Korea, and World War Two), my grandfather served in World War One, my Uncles with one exception served during World War Two, that one exception served in Vietnam. My sisters and brother have served. I am the only one in my immediate family who didn't...bugs me sometimes, only because of something outside of my control (a little too blind, and a little too deaf, in combination...oh well.)

How can I not take a moment to thank not only them, but all the others? Most especially the ones who didn't come home to family and loved ones. Remember, too, those loved ones who waited for one of those who didn't come home...they're deserving of a rememberance, too.

OK, they weren't fighting for ME, but they were fighting for the freedoms I enjoy...the right for me to be me, if you will.

Assuming anyone reads this, lol... Take a moment to hunt down one of the many members here who either have or are serving...here's a few of them, I know I don't know all of you, so forgive my not mentioning you, thank you, just the same.

SemperFortis, Greeneyedleo's Husband, Advisor, Gallopinghordes, donwhite, I know there are many others that I've misremembered...forgive my horrible memory. I thank you.

On this day of remembering the sacrifices of these fine men and women. Let us also remember the sacrifices of our friends and allies, Canada, England, Australia, New Zealand, France, South Korea, and many, many others, for without them, the sacrifice would have been in vain. So remember all of them this day, Memorial Day.

Look outside and take a moment to say a prayer, or send a good wish, their way...it can't hurt and might even help.

[edit on 5/25/2008 by seagull]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

As your friend and a Vet, I thank you!!!

Semper

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I'd also want to thank those whose lives right now are in

danger fighting for our country.

top topics

join