It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss Mysterious Project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
We know the present fighter after Mirage in Swiss is F/A-18 hornet. But there was a strange project after Mirage III was Piranha. The Piranha was very closer to a small Viggen, thus project was quite familier with Yug.'s Orao that as a single-engine Rafale factually developed from Rafale programme. Although I have no evidence to prove Piranha is developed from Viggen, but in terms of the layout shape, I strongly surmise so.
Futher more, I wondered why Swiss didn't order Gripen whereas ordered Hornet since they has developed a project such like Sweden fighter?
Piranha
external image
Viggen

Orao
external image

[edit on 23-5-2006 by emile]

[edit on 23-5-2006 by emile]

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Wow, that is one ugly plane.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mxboy15u

Ugly?? Could u tell me which fighter can landing down on runway without stop in 300m then turn 180 degree to take off again? I think only Viggen can do this

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Yes Viggen.

And Harrier

The Orao is the name of a currently serving ground attack fighter that was jointly developed by Yugoslavia and Romania in the 1970's, are you sure thats the right name for the project you're showing?

The Pirhana looks very interesting but I am sure it is unrelated to the Viggen in any way. I don't even see a similarity in the designs, they are utterly different to my eyes.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
From Wikipedia...

"Jäger is a German military term for light infantry. It is often rendered as Jägers when referring to the élite troops of Prussia, e.g. the Potsdam Jägers."

"Jäger is a German word for "hunter"."

So it could have German origins. Piranha, probably related somehow to the UAV Barracuda?

Also, "Jäger is a company that makes aquarium heaters." It could be some fancy promotional art for their products.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
And Harrier

AV-8's are ugly

They all look similar, but a whole bunch of airplanes do nowadays. EF Typhoon and Rafale look pretty similar to me (I'm gonna take flak for that comment I know I am...). The only ones that look radically different are American ones and Russian ones.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Yes Viggen.
And Harrier

The Orao is the name of a currently serving ground attack fighter that was jointly developed by Yugoslavia and Romania in the 1970's, are you sure thats the right name for the project you're showing?
The Pirhana looks very interesting but I am sure it is unrelated to the Viggen in any way. I don't even see a similarity in the designs, they are utterly different to my eyes.

You always jest me! Except V/STOL!
Also too absolutely! No related? I don't think so

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well, it sure has the Swedish stickers on it...

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

"Jäger is a German military term for light infantry. It is often rendered as Jägers when referring to the élite troops of Prussia, e.g. the Potsdam Jägers."

Well a lot of Swiss speak German, well Swiss German anyway.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Futher more, I wondered why Swiss didn't order Gripen whereas ordered Hornet since they has developed a project such like Sweden fighter?

The Hornet was an off-the-shelf, non-developmental, cheap, proven, relatively short takeoff/landing plane with more than twice the combat weight of the Gripen. the carrier optimization offers some unique benefits for Switzerland, namely the capability to fold the wings (for storage in mountain hangars and that the are fully capable of wire arrested landing (portable units for this exist).

The Swiss military is optimized to a "Guerrilla"-like militia war.

Originally posted by Xar Ke Zeth
From Wikipedia...

So it could have German origins. Piranha, probably related somehow to the UAV Barracuda?

"Jäger" is also the translation of the word "fighter (plane)". And the use of German in for this concept is not unusual since German is the majority language in Switzerland (while the spoken language is a heavy dialect of German, the written language is essentially identical).

And no, there cant be a connection between this concept and the Barracuda.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ugly?????? I think that IS one beautiful plane!

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

EF Typhoon and Rafale look pretty similar to me (I'm gonna take flak for that comment I know I am...).

Not from me, which might surprise you. The saving grace is the phrase 'pretty similar' which is quite so, except the Rafale is a little prettier.

The one that draws me in is when people say they are exactly the same or clones, which is just nonsense of course

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I kinda like the down-cambered Canards on the Typhoon, but the Rafale's pretty nice too. I would like to see an EF and a Rafale go at it in the air, Top Gun style. But even more intruiging is this swiss project... I wonder how it stacks up?

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Correction, Jäger also means Fighter.

In dutch, my native language, Straaljager means Jet-Fighter or Jet-Hunter.

Just my 2 cents there

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I didnt know fighter aircraft were trying to win a beauty pageant

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
OK folks.......Lets not forget about Jägermeister!!!!!!

A fine fine German booze, best served out of the freezer....This jet may only be a 3 so drink the lovely Jägermeister until shes a 10!!!!!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I thought it was a pretty nice lookin' plane. Very Rafale-esque.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Now who consider that PIRANHA was developed from VIGGEN? Who don't think so?I think both side no evidence but the Piranha is really similar to Viggen.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Census
OK folks.......Lets not forget about Jägermeister!!!!!!

Or Göring-Schnaps as it was commonly called in old times. The name Jägermeister is a direct result of the Nazi reorganization of the german hunter´s community, with Hermann Göring being both the highest hunting official, or Reichsjägermeister, as well as a personal acquaintance of the Jägermeister creator

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Now who consider that PIRANHA was developed from VIGGEN? Who don't think so?I think both side no evidence but the Piranha is really similar to Viggen.

Well I've said I don't and you have said you disagree so we can develop this conversation a little further

Here is a quick comparison.

Pirhana appears (going by the scale of the canopy to the rest of it) to be a light fighter powered by an engine in the RB.199/F-404 class. The Viggen is powered by an afterburning version of the P&W JT-8D, if it was re-engined with the former engines it would require two of them. Pirhana has only one.

Pirhana has a swept mid mounted wing, Viggen has a low delta. Pirhana is directly comparable with the BAe P.106, HAL Tejas and SAAB Gripen, Viggen is the same size as a Panavia Tornado. The idea that a large fighter can be re-designed into a much smaller one is ludicrous, even the F-16A was bigger and heavier than the YF-16, the F-22A is bigger and heavier than the YF-22, this is what development does, planes get bigger, not smaller. The only exception is when a small scale throwaway test prototype is made for a forthcoming design, this does not apply to the Pirhana which was intended for service in its own right.

If you want to develop a light fighter you start small from scratch.

Please tell me why you think the Pirhana was developed from the Viggen?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join