It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil no more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Posted this but it got lost in the ethos............(probably forgot to hit "post"..)

People fight wars over oil.
Countries rely on oil for there economic viability.
With the world preoccupied with global catastrophies, like asteroid strikes, terrorist nuclear attacks and new strains of viralent plagues, it suddenly occured to me that a single event could be just as devasting to the world as we know it.
imagine if somewhere/somehow a form of Algie or Bacteria could be created/discovered/fell off the back of a meteorite...... that would render oil useless as a fossil fuel.
Where would that leave the Middle East and all levels of global transportation?
Having shares in a Wind Farm wouldn't be that stupid afrter all then would it.

Keep your eyes peeled for a disgruntled Petro-Chemical engineer with a PhD in Microbiology...

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I think your theory about making everyone get off oil in this manner would be great too!

There's already a oil-eating bacteria that has been used on isolated oil-spills to varying effect. Check it out.

web.mit.edu...

W.E.S.B.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'm sorry. Anyone that released such a crude oil-eating bacteria would unleash a catastrophe not seen on Earth to this time. Tomorrow, we wake to find out that there's no more oil? Where are we left, really? Our gas tanks are empty, how do we get past that 30 mile commute to work? Global shipping is dead in the water. That means no cheap goods from China. How do we mine out uranium and enrich it? For that matter, how do we mine coal and ship it to our power plants in order to produce electricity?

Our hospitals, freezers, factories, are all down. Hundreds of years of infrastructure are for naught. We have no more sources for our plastics, lubrications, or rubbers. And we're just supposed to rely on our wind farms?

I'm just saying that we cannot drop oil tomorrow, next week, or with even a few years preparedness. We need to shift the whole paradigm, which will take decades. Look towards centralization of fuels through biodiesels, and an increased dependence on agricultural means of producing biodiesel. Save petroleum for production of plastics and lubrication untill the cost of similiar nanotech products reach economically viable means.

Iin my own opinion

new topics

join