It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29 Cents Per Gallon Gasoline!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

When a pump at a gas station malfunctioned, opportunistic motorists were able to buy gas for 29 cents per gallon.

A Marathon station sold a gallon of fuel for less than the price of a first-class stamp for about 90 minutes Friday before the mistake was detected and and the price corrected to $2.79.

While still answering questions from customers about why the price had suddenly gone up, clerk Nida Tayyab said more than 50 people had crowded the store, likely thinking the mishap was a price promotion, and received the bargain. Normally, the station serves about 10 people per hour.

Yahoo.com

Oh man I wish I coulda gotten in on that!! I woulda held a spot and tried to fill anything I had on me!! I am sure whoever had extra gas canisters in their trunk musta felt really lucky at that time! I coulda filled up my whole tank for just over the price of a gallon of premium. Man thats funny, poor station owners lost alot of money this time.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Its easy to say somebody lost their job on this one.

Wish I had of been passing by to see this one.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is actually a terrible story; those people basically stole that gas.

Its popular misconception that miss signed or priced merchandise must be sold at the incorrect price, but in reality it’s not a law. Retailers do it because it’s good business and customer service to honor the error. But they are not required to do it. This is FACT. Look it up yourself.

But in this case the pump charges automatically without an attendant interacting, and that’s unfortunate. In the end a consumer should have spoken up. The law requires accurate pricing, but that’s a two way street, the customer has a responsibility as well to be honest.

The only entity to lose here was the station owner; he/she owned that gas, not big oil companies who already sold it to them. So don’t think this is a victory for the little guy against big oil, it’s just the opposite: Some person just like you and me lost a great deal of cash that day due to dishonest consumers, they were in effect ripped off.

This is a very shameful depiction of Americans. I am ashamed of this.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I live near a small town and I pulled into one of the local gas station/quickie marts that we have. I started pumping gas and didn't really pay any attention to the pump until I felt the truck should be about half full of gas. To my surprise, the $$ total was only about $7.00 on the pump. I looked down at the gasoline price window and saw that it was set at $0.249 cents per gallon. I finished my pump, took my receipt inside and asked them to check their price on the pump.

The manager about had a fit over it, and it was her fault as she had just reset the price on the pump and tried to make it $2.49 a gallon, but got the decimal in the wrong place.

I offered to pay the difference in price but she declined saying that she was glad that I had come in and told them of the problem. She even bought my coffee that morning.

I was the ONLY one that got gas just after she changed the price so the manager didn't lose out on a bunch of money, but it sure scared her.

And chissler, I don't think she lost her job because it was a malfunctioning pump that caused the incident. At least, that is how the news story was in my local paper and I don't live far from where this happened.

JDub

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
pfft, whatever skippy. Thats like finding 30$ on the ground that I aint turning in. I would have called everyone I know to get in on that deal. Sorry buddy when mistakes happen I will capitalize. Yea well it can very well be something that will happen to me one day, but when that happens I will not be able to do anything about it happening in the first place. So oh well. It was the "gasoline god of petronas!" deciding to play a joke on the owner and give regular consumers a break for the hour and a half it was in effect.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
pfft, whatever skippy. Thats like finding 30$ on the ground that I aint turning in. I would have called everyone I know to get in on that deal. Sorry buddy when mistakes happen I will capitalize. Yea well it can very well be something that will happen to me one day, but when that happens I will not be able to do anything about it happening in the first place. So oh well. It was the "gasoline god of petronas!" deciding to play a joke on the owner and give regular consumers a break for the hour and a half it was in effect.

I turned in a $20 bill i found OUTSIDE a CVS, and I turned in a $100 bill I found on the floor in a supermarket.

But thats different, those people stole that gas, and if a police officer was standing right there it would have been percieved that way.

Its scary you think otherwise...

Look at it this way: If the owner of the station was standing right there, would theynhave alowed that gas to be sold that cheap? No? Then it was stealing.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
When I used to work on the Railway in the UK God did I steal off the motorway services! Everyday, around 2-3 times I would have to go to these places to fill up/get food/buy newspapers, and believe me I had a REAL big working coat full of pockets, and they would be full of food, ice lollies and Red Bull, all nicked!

Do I feel ashamed...NO. They charge the world in those services and I weren't paying it. Nor my workmates either. And there was 10 of us!!

Save your lectures folks. I dont care.

And while I am at it, I found a cell phone in the back of a cab, I got in touch and gave it back. I found a purse with $700 in it, one day before Christmas eve, and gave that back also. Didnt even get a reward, but I always give stuff like that back.

Peace
McP.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
you guys are plain dumb, its not stealing gas, its utilizing another persons mistake, you still paid for it....just almost 2 an a half bucks less.

If i would have saw it id bet the nearest store would be out of gas cans for the day becuse of me,Hell i would have grabbed a sign an stood on the rose saying free gas.

just my way of say you #$#@ you gasoline tycoon/government/whoever else,

maybe it will teach them a lesson if they lower there prices they would make more.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sorry buddy I have found a money clip with 55$ in it and it went right in my pocket. The police would not have done anything because, the machine is automated. The customer is not responsible for what the machine charges. I put in my card, I pay what it says I bought. I fill up my tank on a couple dollars? Good for me, perfectly legal. Noone tampered with the machine, it was an error.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
When I found the purse I took it to the owner. Not the police...Man, theyre the most corrupt out there. Not all of them though!

top topics

join