It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giants Causeway - Is it really natural?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I was watching a program about the Giants Causeway in Ireland. I find it hard to believe that this was caused by volcanic activity as all of the stones are almost identical. Beleive it or not i dont believe the myth about the giant either.

I just wondered if anyone had any other interesting ideas on how they were formed??

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yeh i agree. Iv'e seen it before, doesn't look natural at all in my opinion. Not sure about anything else about it really.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It's absolutely natural and is called columnar jointing. It appears all over the world where volcanic rock has been uniformly cooled. You can re-create the effect by mixing cornflour and water in equal proportion and leaving it to dry out - you will be left with mostly perfectly hexagonal fissures.

Here is an example of columnar jointing at the Grand Canyon -

geoimages.berkeley.edu...

Here is an extremely comprehensive explanation of the process that forms columnar jointing -

www.physics.utoronto.ca...

Interesting to note that columnar jointing is responsible for the 'fork-scraped' appearance of the 'Devil's Tower' in Wyoming, used in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Ahh right. Thanks

top topics

join