It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO director general dies at 61

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Dr. Lee Jong Wook, aged 61, has died during surgery while being operated on for a blood clot this past weekend. He was attending the World Health Assembly meeting when he suddenly fell ill. He had been reported to have been in excellent health previously, according to the WHO.

www.nytimes.com
Dr. Lee Jong Wook, director general of the World Health Organization, died in Geneva this morning after undergoing emergency brain surgery for a blood clot on Saturday, the organization said in a statement.

The weeklong meeting, called the World Health Assembly, gathers representatives of the 192 member countries of the W. H. O. to approve plans and make other critical decisions about policies and work. Steps to prepare for and respond to any influenza pandemic will be a main topic of the meeting.

Dr. Lee, 61, a South Korean, fell ill at a luncheon on Saturday in Geneva at the beginning of a weeklong meeting called the World Health Assembly. He complained of a severe headache and later vomited, an official who was present said. Paramedics took him to the Cantonal Hospital in Geneva. Surgeons found that he had a blood clot on the brain known as a subdural hematoma and removed it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After doing a little digging, I found Dr. Wook mentioned on ATS in the context of bird flu. Dr. Wook has given warnings before about the potentially devastating epidemic that bird flu might cause in the future.

I find it a rather large coincidence that Dr. Wook suddenly passed away while attending a meeting that, among other things, had the discussion of bird flu as an item of top importance on its agenda. Not only that, but Dr. Wook was reportedly in excellent health prior to his death, and died at the relatively young age of 61, which I find suspect in a health official who had no known illnesses.

I don't usually believe in conspiracies, and I think that bird flu's danger has been exaggerated, but there are a lot of unsettling coincidences in the death of Dr. Wook. I can't help but wonder whether perhaps somebody felt that Dr. Wook's warnings about bird flu were 'inconvenient'.
www.who.int
www.who.int

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bird Flu: Hype or Real Threat?
Bird Flu and China

[edit on 23-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

[edit on 24-5-2006 by asala]

join