It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Catches Congressman Taking $100,000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.) was caught on video tape accpeting 100,000 dollars in 100 dollar bills from a VA investor wearing a wiretap. His house was raided and the 100,000 was found in his freezer. He is denying any wrongdoing despite the FBI having videotape of the action. The congressman and his attourney show no signs of pleading guilty.

www.chicagotribune.com
WASHINGTON -- Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.), the target of a 14-month corruption probe, was videotaped accepting $100,000 in $100 bills from a northern Virginia investor who was wearing an FBI wire, according to a search warrant affidavit released Sunday.

A few days later, on Aug. 3, 2005, FBI agents raided Jefferson's home in northeast Washington and found $90,000 in the freezer in $10,000 increments wrapped in aluminum foil and stuffed inside frozen food containers, the document said.

Jefferson has denied wrongdoing.
"As I have previously stated, I have never over all the years of my public service accepted payment from anyone for the performance of any act or duty for which I have been elected," he said this month.
Jefferson's attorney, Robert Trout, said disclosure of the previously sealed affidavit was "just one side of the story, which has not been tested in court."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hes got some nerve claiming innocences. They have you on videotape, this isn't the OJ trial, and hes not getting away with this. There would have to be some major screw up on the FBI's part in order for him to get away. Then it would just be one more dirty politican that got away. Doesn't matter though, his career is ruined now.

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com

[edit on 5-22-2006 by William One Sac]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The money were probably intended to be used to bribe the Vice President of Nigeria, Abubakar Atiku. Jefferson told the FBI (before he knew it was FBI) that he'd given all the money to the Nigerian. If he did give him anything at all then it must have been the missing $10,000...

allAfrica.com: U.S. Congressman Jefferson Collects Bribe in Vice President Atiku's Name

The plan was for the lawmaker to use the cash to bribe a high-ranking Nigerian official - the name is blacked out in the court document - to ensure the success of a business deal in that country, the affidavit said. While the name of the intended recipient of the $100,000 is blacked out, other details in the affidavit indicate he is Abubakar Atiku, Nigeria's vice president. He owns a home in Potomac, Md., that authorities have searched as part of the Jefferson investigation.

Jefferson assured the FBI informant in their coded conversations that he paid the money to the Nigerian official, even though the money was still in Jefferson's possession when agents searched his home Aug. 3.

Jefferson, who has pledged not to resign from Congress in the face of the bribery investigation, speculated about his political future in one of the recorded conversations. When the informant asked Jefferson about his political plans, he responded: "I'm gonna get your deal out of the way ... and I probably won't last long after that."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
What!!! A congressman accused of taking bribes? Outrageous and completely unexpected. [/end sarcasm]

The immediate declaration of innocence cracks me up. Gee, doesn't everybody keep their extra cash in the freezer? Probably wiser than a coffee can and a hole in the backyard. I keep my extra hundreds tucked under the eaves of the house.

As for being caught on film....He'll make like a rabid debunker here and declare..CG!!! CG!!!! That's a balloon painted to like me!

Politicians are a wonderful group of people. The high moral values and ethics just ooze out of them. Or is that mindless, brain-dead drool?

What if he's been sucked into one of those Nigerian email scams and is trying to cover his losses? That would be a hoot. [/O.K. really the end of sarcasm]

[edit on 22-5-2006 by MrPenny]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I hope they make an example of him! This Congress is so corrupt!

I know there are a few 'good ones' but overall, I wouldn't trust them with a dime loan...

His career should be ruined. His life should be ruined! People make me sick!

Woo-Hoo! Good on the FBI!
Didn't think I'd hear myself say that!

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This is just the tip of the iceburg, that keeps popping up from time to time. Sooner or later the whole thing will rise up for all to see, and when that happens, look out america, and the world.

This isnt an isolated incident, its conservatism at its norm, or at least the brand of conservatism they dont want you to see.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I beleive that this is the same congressmen that insisted that the National Guard take time off from the katrina rescues to escourt him to his home..

Guess he wanted to check and make sure that no hungry looters tried to eat his frozen dough...

I'm sure that there are a few good people in washington, but well, it's about getting to the point where I wish they would all go away and be replaced by someone else.....heck....Goofy would be a good pick, Donald Duck, Minnie Mouse, whatever.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
ANOTHER one bites the dust... YA
another one bites the dust... Hey hey

another one bites the dust, HEY they gonna get bush too, and another one bites the dust...

OHHHH yeah...
(thanks queen)

book em dano...

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sad to say that a lot of people here in New Orleans aren't even paying much attention to it. I mean around here, that wouldn't be a lot of money for a politician to steal.

Well, I hope they get him good, and make an example out of him. Though my other question is, who did he not do something for, so that he's now being punished? He may be an example it more than one way.

[edit on 5/22/06 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
This isnt an isolated incident, its conservatism at its norm, or at least the brand of conservatism they dont want you to see.

Jefferson is a Democrat from Louisiana.

Did you just assume that he was a Republican?

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   
hey I found it.....

Amid Katrina Chaos, Congressman Used National Guard to Visit Home

www.abcnews.go.com...

A five-ton military truck, and a half dozen military police escourted this guy to his house while people sat one rooftops waiting for help. And a helicoptor was called in when the trucks got stuck at his house. The helicoptor offered to save him and fly him out. He refused so a second truck was sent to help out the first truck and give him a ride out. What was so important at his house?? Don't think it was the frozen dough since the fbi searched his house before this.

"a laptop computer, three suitcases, and a box about the size of a small refrigerator"

a box the size of a small refrigerator....nice choice of words there. wonder if they knew about the frozen dough when they wrote the article.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Bag him!!! It doesnt matter what party he belongs to!

A thief is a thief. Off with his head!!!!!

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye

Jefferson is a Democrat from Louisiana.

Did you just assume that he was a Republican?

I think many non-Americans might believe that "Rep. William Jefferson" is short for "Republican William Jefferson". It doesn't say "Democrat" anywhere in these articles or at least not in the quoted parts. Those who don't know would probably not guess that "(D-La.)" is short for "Democrat from Louisiana". Jefferson is Democrat. Robertson on the other hand...

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Doesnt surprise me at all; historically people involved in politics are famous for accepting money for favours. Unfortenately no one came up with a decent, fair political system that avoid these kind of incidents.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikePhil
Doesnt surprise me at all; historically people involved in politics are famous for accepting money for favours. Unfortenately no one came up with a decent, fair political system that avoid these kind of incidents.

With all due respect, nations are different and you could easily look up the list of nations rated as corruption goes. Believe it or not, there are some really "clean" places out there.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by MikePhil

With all due respect, nations are different and you could easily look up the list of nations rated as corruption goes. Believe it or not, there are some really "clean" places out there.

Really where?

This is a frame up plain and simple, the bush administration is wanting to frame a black democrat, and one from louisana no doubt
. this is racism at its worse, he should be pardoned, given $200,000 and bush impeached.....

I figured id drop the conspiracry/racist bomb before anybody else did.....

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Why, XPhilesPhan, I didn't know you cared. How does it feel to play the "race card"?

Btw, if the man was caught red handed, he should be prosecuted.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
This is a frame up plain and simple, the bush administration is wanting to frame a black democrat, and one from louisana no doubt
. this is racism at its worse, he should be pardoned, given $200,000 and bush impeached.....

Frame-up? I guess the videotapes were doctored also, eh?

And what would be the benefit of framing a black democrat? I don't like the way that sounds at all...

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
democrat, republican...you guys have your priorities mixed up. does that even need to be discussed? You wont see me looking for an article for a republican that commited a crime so i can say "look what republicans do!!!"

getting that out of my system, the guy was caught on tape, I say we need to make him an example for anyone and everyone. hit him with the book and give em hell.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I've got to admit I'm really curious about how this poor, misunderstood congressmen is going to prove his innocence when he goes to court. Perhaps he can figure out some way to blame it on Katrina.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Politician accused of coruption? And the Sun rises in the morning...Big deal!

Democrat? Sad, but again, not shocking.

Although you have to admit the Dems just don't seem to be able to pull off corruption with the same scale and panche of their Republican brethern. Perhaps practice will improve their performance; 2008 isn't too far off!

No, what I find fascinating, stunning even, is the fact that Republicans! are rising to, if not this congressman's defense, at least in vocal opposition to the methods employed by the FBI and the Justice Department against him!

www.comcast.net... x.jsp?cat=POLITICS&fn=/2006/05/23/398686.html&cvqh=itn_speaker

Think of it! The Republican Speaker of the House complaining the the President of the United States, leader of his own party, about the treatment of a Democratic congressman...in an election year!

I'm reeling!

On the other hand, do you think maybe Hastert is worried about who's door may get the next knock in the night?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join