It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Scientific Element has Killed the Most Human Beings?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hydrogen, Carbon, Oxygen, Nitrogen...? By what it did do, or what it did not do?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Not giving it a ton of thought, but wouldn't the nitrogen compounds in explosives ie. weapons have caused the most deaths in humans. Don't know which element would be in second place though.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by pavil]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I would venture to say that it is Gold…
In a round about way anyhow.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
What about Hydrogen used in H-bombs and the fact that it is the most prevalent Element in the Universe?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Relatively speaking Hydrogen bombs have not killed that many. The 2 bombs dropped in Japan were not H-bombs. Not to belittle the carnage those two bombs did, it was just a drop in the bucket of WWII deaths. I still go with Nitrogen.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'd have to say Oxygen, or lack of it in many situations. Weapons have only been around for a small time in the history of mankind. Suffocation is a common cause of death and has been a threat to survival ever since we starting relying on it to live.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Another thought would be whichever element is most prevalent in the major life threatening diseases around.

Whatever element that would be would probably be the #1 killer in the history of mankind.

Death List:
Worldwide, the major causes of death and number of deaths in 1993 were:

ischemic heart disease (obstructed blood vessels), 4.3 million

acute lower respiratory infections, mainly pneumonia in children under 5, 4.1 million

cerebrovascular disease, including stroke, 3.9 million

diarrhea in children under 5, 3 million

chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, 2.9 million

tuberculosis, 2.7 million

malaria, 2 million

measles, 1.2 million

www.biorap.org...

I change my mind, just don't know what element fits the bill for most of these.

mod edit: fixed link

[edit on 22-5-2006 by sanctum]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
What is the element that has caused the most disease-deaths, and what is the element that has caused the most weapon-deaths?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I'd say carbon.

Diseases, plagues and sicknesses from carbon based lifeforms have killed millions if not billions of other carbon based lifeforms over the ages.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Oxygen for sure... let's see, if the oxidative free radicals don't get you and you don't suffocate in hypoxia, and if the oxidative processes of post mortem decomposition don't get you then the oxidative process of cremation will... one way or another oxygen wins. LOL. We're all potential victims to this diabolical diatomic molecule! And rust never sleeps... great question. Best all day.

Thanx,

Victor K.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Oops forgot the oxidative processes in the heat of all explosives! Sorry,

Victor K.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I wonder how many people have burned to death, over the years? I'm pretty sure oxygen plays a pretty big part in fire... not to mention explosives, as stated above.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think Gools has hit is right on the head.

Carbon, primarly in other lifeforms has caused the most deaths in the history of mankind. Simple, but hard to dispute.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I didn't even think of fire, firebat , beauty dude. I wonder what other sinister things Oh-Two is up to when we aren't watching... burning up all those calories.

Victor K.

PS. Don't carbonaceous substances all require oxygen to interact? With the exception of symbol CN perhaps? BTW that's cyanide...

[edit on 22-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
This just in! Oxygen responsible for aging in humans! LOL. How many folks die of old age as opposed to any specific disease state? Check what Dr. Leeuenburgh has to say link. Seems oxygen is tryin' to kill us all.

Or maybe The American Federation for Aging Researchlink. I'm sure this Oxygen character is up to no good and must be reigned in and controlled for the benefit of all mankind.

I just did a check... many anaerobic bacteria even synthesize there own mitochondrial oxygen from water... busy this outlaw killer, oxygen. Even straight Oh-Two is toxic breathed long enough...

Great fun,

Victor K.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I would have to say Carbon.

Carbon is one of the elements used in metals. Considering from the bronze age up until modern day warfare, carbon was used smelting metals (charcoal) even to present day carbon based fuels are needed to make the metal for weapons. From swords to modern weaponry carbon has always been used as a source of elements in the metal used for weapons and also for the making of those weapons. Even the Enola Gay and the bomb itself was built with metal I am sure burning a carbon based fuel. Carbon is used in gun powder.

Also viruses and viral organisms are all carbon based. These small parasites have been around longer than the human race. Of course someone already mentioned that good one Gools.

Yet we could say without oxygen none of these things could have happened at all. Without you could not make the weapons. To make a fire hot enough to smelt metal would need oxygen. Nitrogen controls the burning process of fire. With the absence of nitrogen in the air soon as that caveman lit his fire the world would have exploded.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
At first I agreed with Carbon, but then you have to take into account that in every compound, and every lifeform, containing carbon, there are one or more hydrogens bonded to that carbon. That would suggest that there is more hydrogen by atom in these life forms and compounds, no?

MFP

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Ultimately it would have to be Hydrogen. All the other natural elements were formed from it, whether by fusion or by supernova.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Element that has killed the most people?

I guess maybe Pb, good ol' lead.

All them bullets.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
News Flash! Diatomic oxgen molecules wearing colors are attacking and breaking down Ozone into diatomic oxygen adding to the ranks of this swelling band of bad gas! Ozone "jump-in" has just been found responsible for Global warming! LOL.

Late Extra! Carbon and oxygen found working together in green house gas cartel! Loan Nitrogen and Oxygen found laughing hysterically at the scene... Film at 11:00.

Victor K.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join