It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 New People a Week Behind Bars in '04-'05

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
By the beginning of last summer, 1 in every 136 people in America was in jail or prison. The biggest increase was in jails, which saw a growth in inmates of almost 5%. Over 60% of the inmates in jails have yet to be convicted of a crime. Most of these are awaiting trial, with judges increasingly unwilling to release them on their own recognizance.

news.yahoo.com
Prisons and jails added more than 1,000 inmates each week for a year, putting almost 2.2 million people, or one in every 136 U.S. residents, behind bars by last summer.

The total on June 30, 2005, was 56,428 more than at the same time in 2004, the government reported Sunday. That 2.6 percent increase from mid-2004 to mid-2005 translates into a weekly rise of 1,085 inmates.

Of particular note was the gain of 33,539 inmates in jails, the largest increase since 1997, researcher Allen J. Beck said. That was a 4.7 percent growth rate, compared with a 1.6 percent increase in people held in state and federal prisons.

"The jail population is increasingly unconvicted," Beck said. "Judges are perhaps more reluctant to release people pretrial."

The report by the Justice Department agency found that 62 percent of people in jails have not been convicted, meaning many of them are awaiting trial.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is anyone besides me stunned by these numbers?

Talk about evidence of a police state in the making. There it is in black and white, with flashing red and blue lights on top.

What are things coming to in this country that we have to lock up, and keep locked up, so many of our own people? Are we that much of a failure as a society, or is there something even more sinister going on?

[edit on 21-5-2006 by Icarus Rising]

[edit on 22-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

"The jail population is increasingly unconvicted," Beck said. "Judges are perhaps more reluctant to release people pretrial."

This is the bad part here, when people are held guilty until proven innocent. Heck, if the government don't like you, or wants to shut you up, or to negate your vote, they could hide you away, without any other reason than that.
How long could a fair trial be put off? A month, a year, 10 years?
I guess it would be up to them, all they have to do I guess is promise you it will come,

....sometime.

They make the rules now.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
whatever happen to a fair and SPEEDY trial. This isnt right. Things need to change, but last person I heard saying that publically, well he met his end in vegas. Im starting to wonder why bother, nobody listening to us...actually no one is listening to eachother. I say that because we are the victims, all we have to do is look around.

People getting jailed, being guilty before innocent. Seems like nobody wants to do anything about anything anymore, unless they are making money for it.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Here in Toronto, we have the opposite problem. Just about everyone gets bail. Which means that everyone is unwilling to aid police, because they know they'll be in the ground a week after they do. We had a huge roundup of bangers and dealers...and three days later, most of them were back out again. How is that supposed to help crime issues?

Most of the murders commited in the city have been done by people on probation or parole.

DE

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
You have a point there Deus, nonetheless, if they have no proof, you should not be held, without a speedy fair trial.
Even still, if they are on bail, they are already in 'best behavior mode' as the spotlight is on them, nobody wants to go to prison.

Still not perfect but....

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
My friend spent six months in jail for violating probation before he even got a court date for trial. Luckily He got time served when he finally decided to take a plea deal because going to trial would have kept him in jail until it was over. A trial can go on for years depending on the situation.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
When you have privately owned and operated jails by entities like Wakenhut, you create a growth industry. Paid for by the taxpayers but the profits are enjoyed by the stockholders. State and Federal prisons will be a thing of the past in 20 years.

So what you get is: more prisoners, more profit, more privately owned jails, more intrusive laws, more prisoners.....

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
In other words whaaa,

Due to what may be the new corporate perception of jails and prisons as a growth industry, they may now have a vested interest in increasing inmate populations?

from the article

"If we want to see the prison population reduced, we need a much more comprehensive approach to sentencing and drug policy," said Marc Mauer, executive director of The Sentencing Project.

"It's not a sign of a healthy community when we've come to use incarceration at such rates," he said.

That doesn't bode well for this country at all. With corporate greed already driving government policy, its no wonder judges are now less likely to grant bail or release pending trial for individuals arrested and charged with crimes.

I can see this practice escalating, and the average person is now more than ever at the mercy of the system.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
There is no question that the war on drugs is a cash cow for the corrections 'industry' if it can even properly be called that. In fact, corrections is one of the few growth sectors left in this country, along with the service sector. Both are forms of slavery, incidentally, which I thought had been abolished.

And have you ever seen those stickers and shirts that say "America's #1", well, now you know what that was in reference to - our prison population.

Bad as the situation already is, it's getting worse! Yeah! We're rock bottom and digging for Australia at this point. Before long, private prisons will dominate, and then private police will become widespread. Corporations can then sell people drugs, bust them for the drugs, and imprison them, all at the expense of the taxpayers. A truly wonderful day that'll be.

Don't like it? Into prison you go, dissident, where you'll sew velcro on neon pink wallets and glue tiny plastic rivets on steamship replicas until the end of time.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
why do you think they dont want the death penalty...life long inmate, thats one more guy in there for a long time profit bid. in truth its the trial that costs so much when it comes to death penalty trials...in actuality life in prision costs much more then the death sentence if carried out.

anyway its definately profitable when tax payers money is involved, and people serving years of time is combine.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It is disturbing that almost 1% is in jail and almost as disturbing is that prisons can be privately owned.

So, what country has the lowest prison population? I might have to run there.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It has to do with the economy. The rich are earning more money and getting immediate benefits from tax cuts. The middle class and the poor are losing jobs to out-sourcing and not receiving an immediate benefit from tax cuts. With no jobs, little money and full of debt, people resort to desperate measures in order to survive. Some use drugs to dull the mind against the degredation of the world. Others become more resourceful and commit crimes that financially benefit them. And then, there are those--stirred by the passions of a chaotic society--that take it out on other people, perhaps to maim or kill them. Not to mention all the murders that have to do with insurance.

It seems every other "Cold Case Files" episode I see on A & E has to do with murdering someone's spouse or kids over insurance.

It's no mistake the jails are full. And it's no mistake who is filling the prisons either.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Jail is a place to hold someone before they are charged or before their bail hearing. Maybe the increase is simply because more Americans are misbehaving these days.

Remember, a number by itself rarely tells the whole story.

Whether bond is set or not is up to the judge. And I daresay that a judge knows more than anyone how often people fail to show up for their court dates. This is especially true with illegal immigrants; we are all aware of the problems that result in "catch and release".

It may be that we need to revamp our laws that result in jail time, esp. minor drug offenses. But a conspiracy between corporate-owned jails and the legislative and judicial branches is a bit far-fetched, imo.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Bush himself said that there was a time when we DIDNT have the room in jails....

That implies that NOW WE DO.

Watch the camps come alive soon....

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
speaking as a former detention officer, this doesn't surprise me at all. i don't think that it's because more people are 'misbehaving'...it's increased enforcment of minor offenses of all types. in my few years as a D.O. the max inmate level at my jail was increased 3 times and within a week of opening more space..walla...full again. did the police go out and catch more murders, rapists, burglery?? no..minor drug offenses was the main source..ie a cop catching you with a smoking utensile, and alot of failure to pay a fine. also, an interesting thing that would happen when we reached about 5% over capacity, is that the officers would be told that if you have to bring someone to jail, you have to bring them to jail , BUT, "stay away from the little stuff".
( the most annoying arrest was what we called 'contempt of cop" ie you have done nothing legaly wrong, you just pissed off the officer, who then brings you to jail on an 'obstruction' charge, writes a 5 sentence report, you stay in jail for a few hours and after being fingerprinted, retna scaned and lengthy personal data inputted into the system are relaesed with no charges or apologies...just wasting my time and the jails money)

the intake area where everybody starts, 1 man on the floor, one man on a bunk, 2 hours out a day in 1 hour incriments...the theroy and policy was inmates would be here only 1-3days, but 1-3 weeks was more the norm because of overcrowding issues...and remember, everybody started here, minor trafic violators, failure to pay fines, would be housed with major felonies. i suspect that it is similar in alot of jails.

i had a first hand view of the inside of law-enforcement/jail.....i did not like what i was seeing...the militarization of the police and the increasing view that if you are not a cop, YOU ARE GIULTY of something and it's just finding out what we can charge you with........it is obvious that we are being set up to accept a militarized police state and YOU need to be watched............

top topics

join