It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Make a Nuclear Weapon at Home

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Be careful how you use it though because fluorine is several times more deadly than chlorine, the classic World War I poison gas. Chemists recommend that you carry out this step under a stove hood (the kind used to remove unpleasant cooking odors).

LOL, I cant imagine anybody thought this was real.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I knew it was just a joke as soon as I read some of the funny parts and the little scientist gif animation kinda gave it away too.

And watch the rocks, you are right, I got the two mixed up....whoops.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There was a guy who figured out the entire U.S. power grid layout from information freely available; he used it to piece the layout together. It was his graduate thesis for a Ph.d, and the professor told him it was stupid. He went and showed it to the government or something and here it was true, he really had figured out the layout of the power grid. The gov't and power guys freaked out of course, so now he works with the government helping them out; basically, he proved to them that terrorists could use free information available on the 'Net to figure out the power grid layout without doing anything suspicious.

It's good there are good people like him that figure that stuff out once in awhile, it would be bad if a terrorist had figured it out first.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I almost tossed my cookies when I read the following part in bold text:

Take one hunk of your uranium and beat it into the inside of the first bowl. Uranium is malleable, like gold, so you should have no trouble hammering it into the bowl to get a good fit. Take another five-pound hunk of uranium and fit it into a second stainless steel bowl. These two bowls of U-235 are the "subcritical masses" which, when brought together forcefully, will provide the critical mass that makes your A-bomb go. Keep them a respectful distance apart while working because you don't want them to "go critical" on you... At least not yet.

Too funny, man!

PS DO NOT read this 'how to' while ingesting your cookies.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by signs]

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
While this is not a bomb making story..it is intresting.

I first heard of this at work...concerning a kid who acquirred enough olde smoke detectors to to scrap the radioactive source in them. It had to be alot of smoke detectors.
As I recall the story he was combining this stuff in his garage and messing around with it. He was able to generate about 1R of radiation readings about a block from his home before they caught him and busted it up. I am sure this was kept as quiet as possible from the public.

Perhapsed some of you know more about this than do I.

I will try to search the web for this story.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Sweet, Just in time for the 4th of July. Ill just whip this up for the next month

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I believe I heard about someone collecting smoke detectors. However after reading the link here www.indcjournal.com...
it doesn't appear we have anything to worry about if some terrorist wanted to waste his time doing such a project. The radiation can't even penetrate a piece of paper or your skin. In fact smoky air will block the radiation so when the smoke detector stops detecting the very weak radiation emitted by the detector, the alarm goes off I believe. However it would be amusing to watch a terrorist getting his ears blasted again and again by smoke detectors going off on high smoke alert.

I think it would be funnier watching someone attempt to swing a bucket of uranium around his head for 45 minutes. Then he would have to wonder if he separated the uranium into enough buckets so he didn't reach critical mass and blow up. I can just imagine the sweat running down someone's face.

[edit on 24-5-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The Radiocative Boyscout

AKA Build your own breeder reactor with smoke detectors, aluminium foil, and duct tape.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Thanks for that site..it was the article for which I was looking.

Orangetom

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is priceless - but, as has been previously mentioned, accurate. It's pretty much a match to something I pulled off USENET about 12 years back, minus the humor (and let me state that it was all in fun that I was looking).

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
i just made one.. thanks for the link!

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
What the article really tells us is that manufacturing an H-bomb in your kitchen is impossible. You'd be dead from radiation poisoning before you got properly started.

I seem to remember reading something like this in the New Yorker back in the Eighties. Of course the tone was snottier, but the basic point was the same: it can be done in theory, but the practical constraints (and dangers) make it impossible in fact. I think that one was about a fission bomb, though, not a fusion one.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Home-made nukes

This could be taken a step further...

1)Create your low-level fissile material, simple to do in your garden shed following this method...

Originally posted by DezertSkies
The Radiocative Boyscout

2)Then build yourself a cheap cruise missile delivery system using basic RC and electronics components

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a shed-built Tomahawk complete with 'dirty nuke' warhead...just be careful who you choose to threaten with a 'pre-emptive' strike

[edit on 24-5-2006 by timski]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
What the article really tells us is that manufacturing an H-bomb in your kitchen is impossible. You'd be dead from radiation poisoning before you got properly started.

Erm not to mention getting the fusion elemnts of an H-Bomb are impossible - where do you get deuterium and tritium ?

The Radioactive Boyscout, is about making a nuclear reactor, it has nothing to do with Hydrogen weapons.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Your looking for a book by

Howard Morland

"The Secret that Exploded" circa 1981
ISBN#0394512979

How Hydrogen bombs are made.
This book as I recall is one of the few books that made it to the Supreme Court to stop its publishing. The court said publish it. THis book details how they are made and also the list of manufacturers involved in making the components.

Still it is not something that one would do at home or in a garage but the information is there.

It has been years since I read it but as I reacall you have to make a conventional nuclear weapon and then figure out the process of allowing in for just brief nano seconds before the device goes off...more Hydrogen atoms ..than other types...only for brief nano seconds. The amount of Hydrogen atoms let in before the explosion governs the amount of the bang for a given amount of plutonium.

HOward goes into more detail than I but the book is definitelly intresting for those of you intrested in this kind of stuff.

Howard also goes into the number of close calls in this country both in nuclear weapons and reactor accidents.

IF you can acquire the book ..enjoy.
Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Safety note: Concentrated hydrofluoric acid is so corrosive that it will eat its way through glass, so store it only in plastic. Used 1-gallon plastic milk containers will do

used milk containers.

I got a good laugh from reading some of the stuff on the sight. I dont think it poses any public saftey issues (except to the person that is dumb enough to try these things) so everyone should calm down. Thanks for posting the link

[edit on 25-5-2006 by warpboost]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

This book as I recall is one of the few books that made it to the Supreme Court to stop its publishing. The court said publish it. THis book details how they are made and also the list of manufacturers involved in making the components.

Still it is not something that one would do at home or in a garage but the information is there.

I believe Morland made public the Tellar-Ulam design. Also I remember that the DOD thought Tom Clancy had been leaked information about thermonuclear weapons design from his in depth description in his book, The Sum of All Fears. He proved that all the information was publicly accessible.

If you want a really detailed explanation of how nuclear weapons are built then nothing can beat this site.

nuclearweaponarchive.org...

Here's a good ATS thread on how a thermonuclear weapon works :

www.abovetopsecret.com... - Below is one of the graphics from that thread.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by rogue1]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Your looking for a book by

Howard Morland

"The Secret that Exploded" circa 1981
ISBN#0394512979

How Hydrogen bombs are made.

It has been years since I read it but as I reacall you have to make a conventional nuclear weapon and then figure out the process of allowing in for just brief nano seconds before the device goes off...more Hydrogen atoms ..than other types...only for brief nano seconds. The amount of Hydrogen atoms let in before the explosion governs the amount of the bang for a given amount of plutonium.

HOward goes into more detail than I but the book is definitelly intresting for those of you intrested in this kind of stuff.

Howard also goes into the number of close calls in this country both in nuclear weapons and reactor accidents.

IF you can acquire the book ..enjoy.
Thanks,
Orangetom
no poblemo thats what P2P filesharing is all about!!!!!!
Although the article may be right of how to build one you'd die from radiation poisoning without the proper equipment. It may be funny so the FBI will think it's stupid.

[edit on 26-5-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
nope, that's not quite how the nuke works

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
here is an over simpified version of a nuke weapon diagram:

and one of the hardest part in making a nuke is to calculate the exact ratio of mass needed for each component. and precise calculation and measurements are required during the production of those component. things will not react if they are not in the precise ratio/mass/molarity/state/pressure etc.
back then, it took scientest years to just get those things correct.

the article of making nuke at home is nothing more than a joke, the chemicals might kill and the TNT might explode, but it will not create a nuclear explosion.
It will not work.

[edit on 27-5-2006 by warset]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join