It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a suggestion: a hoax category...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
from my experiences with contributing to tinwiki, i have seen the need for a hoax category...

for example, my aussie bloke entry didn't really fit any particular category perfectly...

it would fit perfectly in a hoax category...

this category, to me, would be very interesting and would be filled with loads of great things...

what do you think???

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Funny you mention that actually. I was thinking the same thing when you put up that Aussie bloke page.

I support making such a category.

Anyone else?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What a great idea!!!
It would be awesome to have some of our more ingenious posters here to post a "Fake/Hoax" in a special thread to give the rest of us a chance to "solve" it.
This would give us access to the tricks and techniques used by the hoaxsters to try and fool the general populace.
As long as it is labeled as a hoax/fake this would make us all better sleuths.
Just my 2 cents....

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the input Slaine01, but this is the tinWiki.org Working Forum.
We are talking about a Hoax category for tinWiki.

ingenious posters here to post a "Fake/Hoax" in a special thread to give the rest of us a chance to "solve" it.

Right now this goes against ATS's T&C and a few members have even been banned this month for knowingly posting false information (hoaxing).

d1k

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think this is a horrible idea because a LOT of people here on ATS and pretty much every other site claim things are debunked because they are unbelievable with no evidence what so ever factually debunking it. Then as soon as one person claims it's a hoax a lot of the other skeptics jump on the band wagon and assume it's a hoax because they heard someone else say it was. There are many threads and subjects here on ATS where one person says it was not real then a whole lot of other people say it's been debunked when in no way at all has it been debunked at all. This has happened many times.

Then theres the skeptics who will "debunk" a story by posting a lengthy reply with links that looks extremely good, reading over it a lot of people automaticlly asume because it's an intelligently writen up post it's debunked. The links that are posted, even though some of them are to main stream sources to experts of the field these experts are just working with bits and pieces of information and truly do not know the whole story (the pyramids, UFOs etc etc) and most of their expert professional take on the matter is just opinion based on incomplete data. So again even though these links are to main stream sources these main stream sources are just making educated guesses when looking at the overall picture and that does not mean they are correct. So these hardened skeptics who sound quite intelligent are just repeating opinions of so called experts is not debunking anything at all.

We're a civilization surrounded in mystery and may truly never get the real answers to a lot of ATS' subjects.

Not to be rude but I honestly get quite a laugh at some of the skeptics here on ATS, how some of them take a tone of looking down on people because they actually have an open mind. I've seen one skeptic here claim they were a practicing shaman and experienced in like four different fields of work and make fun of people for thinking outside the box, which makes me think they are really just full of #.

My favorite quote when reading subjects here on ATS and other far out sites is "you never know", I think that's the best frame of mind anyone could have because it's so true.

Anyway, ya, bad idea IMO.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by d1k]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Right now this goes against ATS's T&C and a few members have even been banned this month for knowingly posting false information (hoaxing).

That's true, but there is a topic currently running that is all about hoaxes. We're posting fake pics, but we are labeling them as such. nobody has been banned yet in that topic.
I think it's a great idea.
The hoax topic can be found here.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
I think this is a horrible idea because a LOT of people here on ATS...

Again, we are discussing a Hoax category for TINWIKI not ATS.

One such article that would fall into this category is Aussie bloke.

... and pretty much every other site claim things are debunked because they are unbelievable with no evidence what so ever factually debunking it.

That wouldn't be a hoax then would it?

Originally posted by Beer_Guy

That's true, but there is a topic currently running that is all about hoaxes. We're posting fake pics, but we are labeling them as such. nobody has been banned yet in that topic.
I think it's a great idea.
The hoax topic can be found here.

That is in BTS. It is a fun thread and has nothing to do with the hoaxes I'm talking about. That thread is actually making fun of this thread, UFO in Florida. As you can see the hoaxer has been banned.

To All,
This thread is about tinWiki not ATS.
Please start your own thread on an ATS category if you like but please do not hijack this one

Thank you.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I am not certain about making a category for hoax's... Wouldn't it be just as easy to state that such and such is generally thought of to be a hoax? For example, ufo's have many examples of hoaxes in them, but would we really want to just classify the whole genre as a If we added ufo's to the hoax category, because of some hoax or other, people might think we are debunking the whole thing.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
I am not certain about making a category for hoax's... Wouldn't it be just as easy to state that such and such is generally thought of to be a hoax? For example, ufo's have many examples of hoaxes in them, but would we really want to just classify the whole genre as a If we added ufo's to the hoax category, because of some hoax or other, people might think we are debunking the whole thing.

w0w...

this thread has veered way off topic

o0o well...

anyway, william one sac, i do see your point...

wide-spread things, like UFOs, shouldn't be added to this category even if some are a geniune hoax...

firstly because UFOs have their own special category...

this hoax category should be about a single events / persons ( maybe a "hoaxers" category
) that involve hoaxes...

like aussie bloke / john titor / prophet yahwey...

see???

not UFOs and huge topics of that sort...

i hope you see my point...

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Prophet Yahway was a hoax???

It looked like he was summoning those balloons to me!

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I just want to add that my point about a hoax category is like walking on thin ice. Many people believe Billy Meier is a hoaxer, while many do not. I believe both sides of the argument should be presented. For something like Yahway, Aussie Bloke etc.. Wouldnt it be enough to just add that they are widely believed to be hoaxers?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
Prophet Yahway was a hoax???

It looked like he was summoning those balloons to me!

There are even a few that argue he isn't a hoax even today. Same with Titor.

I can see your point though about both sides being represented. I guess if we had a hoax category maybe it would make us look like we had a big ego and had the authority to decide what is a hoax and what is not.

d1k

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Prophet Yahway is a perfect example, no one actually debunked him theres just a lot of opinions that he is a hoax.

I'm glad some of you mods see the problem with a hoax section.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
great point WOS

we shouldn't decide what is a hoax and what isn't (even if it is blatantly obvious)...

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
from my experiences with contributing to tinwiki, i have seen the need for a hoax category...

for example, my aussie bloke entry didn't really fit any particular category perfectly...

Sounds good, go ahead and make it. If people disagree, they'll delete it.

Open source is great.

Of course, I can see how it would be a really contentious issue. Would reptiloids be placed under hoax? Roswell? etc.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Sounds good, go ahead and make it. If people disagree, they'll delete it.

Open source is great.

Of course, I can see how it would be a really contentious issue. Would reptiloids be placed under hoax? Roswell? etc.

a regular tiniwiki'er could make a category???

that doesn't sound too "safe"

top topics

join