It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Projections Say Montenegro Likely To Split From Serbia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Montenegro held a referendum on independence from their union with Serbia today. Initial projections suggest that the proposal has passed with 56% of the vote. Voter turnout was over 85%, not surprising as the issue has been very contentious as the vote approached.

news.bbc.co.uk
Montenegro has voted for independence from its union with Serbia, according to unofficial projections.

Initial indications are that 56.3% of voters elected to secede from Serbia. The pro-independence bloc needs to win 55% of the vote to succeed.

The question of independence has deeply divided Montenegro, with its opponents arguing that it will damage economic, family and political ties with Serbia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the former Yugoslavia, but as I understand it, Montenegro has been on its own in all but name for a while, and it hasn't worked out well. They only contributed something like 3% of the government budget of Serbia-Montenegro. Unless they are thinking about joining the EU (and I'm not so sure they're in any condition to be admitted at the moment) they might only see things get worse. The popular buzz however seems to be that this is inspiring a lot of hope for their economy, so perhaps I missed something.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
newsforums.bbc.co.uk

join