It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New laser weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
In those two seconds, 400 blasts of light poured into slabs of clear, manmade garnet. Swollen in energy, the crystal's atoms then unleashed torrents of infrared light to ricochet 1,000 times between two mirrors and multiply, finally escaping as 400 pulses of pure, square beam.

Kilowatt for kilogram, this is the world's most powerful solid-state laser. Its invisible beam drilled Yamamoto's inch-thick steel plate in two seconds. Add larger crystals and it will eat steel a mile or more away.

"What we're building," Yamamoto explains, "is a laser weapon."

www.oaklandtribune.com...

Mabye this is the laser weapon being developed in time to fit it to the F22 + JSF?

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Oh no,another high tech weapon the americans are going to use against civilians in a poor country that can't defend itself.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yep the'll most prob test it in a war against aborigines in the austrailian outback! LOL

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
this is a really worrying thing..
i hope it is used only for defense, but that is unlikely

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well...its good and its bad. Its cool that it got invented, and working...but it also bad because it will just give the government an even more powerful weapon. Star Wars anyone?

-wD

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This article was posted by Netchicken in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mabye this is the laser weapon being developed in time to fit it to the F22 + JSF?

Interesting you are linking it to other technologies! I think that this news is pretty direct support of the theory that we are on the verge of another revolution in science. Feel free to read more about it and/or discuss it in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The problem is, it would only be practical when operated in conjuction with machinery, such as aircraft and tanks and such. I would imagine that a system like that would be too big and bulky to carry, and it would really suck to have a billion dollar weapon shot out of you hands and shatter.

However, if this does really become a conventional weapon, warfare can change forever. Today's stealth techonogies would be practically obsolete because if your plane gets detected for even a second, your pretty much dead. Flares and counterneasures and stuff like that would be useless, but I guess you can still use things like ECM.

When used in ground warfare (or ATG), think about how devestating it can be.
You can literally shoot through walls! (To a certain extent)

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:59 PM
link   
They wont use gas powered lasers. Taht's a gas powered one aint it?

They will use electrical ones; P

Not gas.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It's a solid state laser.

Gas lasers are impractical for the military field I'm afraid.

top topics

join