It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons From Last Hurricane Season Not Applied - Millions Vulnerable.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Link

In these last days before the June 1 start of hurricane season, forecasters and disaster-response planners are coming to the dispiriting conclusion that few lessons were learned last year from Katrina, Rita and Wilma.

Waterfront construction continues to boom along the Gulf of Mexico and Florida's Atlantic coastline, with tens of thousands of new homes in harm's way alongside the rebuilding of those demolished.

More than 100,000 people displaced by last year's storms are still living in government trailers, despite emergency planners' warnings that the temporary shelters are at risk of blowing apart, like most mobile homes in the region, if even a strong tropical storm passes.

All the indications are pointing to another whopper of a storm season, and it appears we're gearing up for another major series of disasters due to a lack of preparedness and a severe shortage of common sense.

Is it just me, or are these people friggin' idiots? Why are they living in trailers and wooden shacks, in the middle of storm country? Aesthetics? What a bunch of nonsense, who in their right mind could appreciate the aesthetics of a trailer so much they want to put their lives at risk?

Before people jump on me and tell me that they can't afford real homes, I suggest you compare the prices of building materials, wood vs. concrete.

So what are people waiting for? What are the feds doing with those stupid, useless trailers, that will blow over in a strong breeze? Why are they wasting YOUR tax money on modular homes (that don't even get used!), when there is a permanent solution superior in every way?

Are aesthetics really that important? If you have the only house left standing on the block, do you think your neighbors are going to give you any crap about the aesthetics? They'll be lucky to get a sleeping spot in the yard, or the foyer...

People have choices. They can keep banging their head against this wall :bnghd: or they can stop the nonsense and start changing the aesthetic to come into line with environmental factors. The home that looks the best, IMO, is the one still standing. The insurance premiums would change for the better, practically overnight, and heating/cooling costs would drop dramatically. The concrete home 'stone' kills like half a dozen birds, including deforestation, fire risk, vermin control (no hollow wall space, no yummy insulation), tornadoes, mold - probably more I can't think of at the moment.

Can anyone suggest to me possible reasons why it's a good idea to build traditional wood-frame homes in areas where storms sometimes kick up hundred mph+ winds and where floodwaters are commonplace? Especially with the cost of wood as high as it is, it boggles my mind that people keep doing this. :bnghd:

Masochists, I guess...

[edit on 21-5-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This article deals with the same subject matter, similarly gloomy outlook.

www.cbsnews.com...

It's not at all clear that coastal residents are paying that much attention. After more than 20 years of seasonal forecasts for Atlantic hurricanes from one group and nearly 10 years' worth from others, a recent survey suggests too many residents in hurricane-prone areas aren't taking the basic steps that emergency-management experts recommend.

For example, fewer than half of Gulf and Atlantic coast residents have a family-response plan or a hurricane "survival kit," according to a poll of 1,100 Americans for the National Hurricane Survival Initiative. At least a third lack adequate insurance.

join