It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truest and most significant definition of Freemasonry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Taken from:

Albert Pike's

Morals and Dogma: Consistory: XXXII. Sublime of the Royal Secret

p. 854-55

You have heard more than one definition of freemasonry. The truest and the most significant you have yet to hear. It is taught to the entered Apprentice, the Fellow-Craft, and the Master, and it is taught in every Degree through which you have advanced to this. It is a definition of what Freemasonry is, of what its purposes and its very essence and spirit are; and it has for every one of us the force and sanctity of a divine law, and imposes on every one of us a solemn obligation.

It is symbolized and taught, to the Apprentice as well as to you, by the COMPASS and the SQUARE; upon which, as well as upon the Book of your Religion and the Book of the law of the Scottish Freemasonry, you have taken so many obligations. As a Knight, you have been taught it by the Swords, the symbols of HONOR and DUTY, on which you have taken your vows: it was taught you by the BALANCE, the symbol of all Equilibrium, and by the CROSS, the symbol of devotedness and self-sacrifice; but all that these teach and contain is taught and contained, for Entered Apprentice, Knight, and Prince alike, by the Compass and the Square.

For the Apprentice, the points of the Compass are beneath the Square. For the Fellow-Craft, one is above and one beneath. For the Master, both are dominant, and have rule, control, and empire over the symbol of the earthly and the material.

FREEMASONRY is the subjugation of the Human that is in man by the Divine; the Conquest of the Appetites and Passions by the Moral Sense and the Reason; a continual effort, struggle, and warfare of the Spiritual against the Material and Sensual.

That victory, when it has been achieved and secured, and the conqueror may rest upon his shield and wear the well-earned laurels, is the true HOLY EMPIRE.

Holy Empire? Will a Freemason here please explain what this means?

Again, I must mention again that The Compass and Square is obviously to be taken very seriously, as Pike writes it's significance over and over again. It is a very important and central piece in the teachings of Freemasonry.

But as I've posted earlier in a previous thread, The Compass and Square is clearly the depiction of a sex act.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Not being an expert on Morals and Dogma, I think it might be better for someone who is to comment for fully on your post. However, part of what you posted does encapsulate an aspect of freemasonry

FREEMASONRY is the subjugation of the Human that is in man by the Divine

This, to me, is clear enough. To overcome our baser human instincts (greed, envy, intolerance, etc) by the study of the lessons taught to us by our Lord and Savior. By allowing God into our lives to direct us in the paths of virtue and science. You get the gist. My experience of Pike is that his writings can be hard to follow, but I understood this part clearly enough.

But as I've posted earlier in a previous thread, The Compass and Square is clearly the depiction of a sex act.

Clearly to you, perhaps. Instead of reading peoples opinion of freemasonry why don't you go straight to the primary source?

The Sacred Writings are to govern our faith, the Square to regulate our actions, and the Compass to keep us in due bounds with all mankind, particularly our Brethren in Freemasonry.

The Square will teach you to regulate your life and actions according to the Masonic line and rule. The Compass reminds you to limit your desires in every station of life, that rising to eminence by merit you will live respected and die regretted

The latter comment about 'limiting desires' is referring to the same baser instricts that Pike noted. But there is no reference to the sex act in any ritual that I know of. This is pure fantasy on your part and tells us more about you and your agenda than it does about freemasonry.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
Not being an expert on Morals and Dogma, I think it might be better for someone who is to comment for fully on your post. However, part of what you posted does encapsulate an aspect of freemasonry

The user Masonic Light is, maybe you should read what he said on my Square and Compass thread.

FREEMASONRY is the subjugation of the Human that is in man by the Divine

This, to me, is clear enough. To overcome our baser human instincts (greed, envy, intolerance, etc) by the study of the lessons taught to us by our Lord and Savior. By allowing God into our lives to direct us in the paths of virtue and science. You get the gist. My experience of Pike is that his writings can be hard to follow, but I understood this part clearly enough.

Lord and Savior? God? Who is this God you speak of?

Clearly to you, perhaps. Instead of reading peoples opinion of freemasonry why don't you go straight to the primary source?

The Sacred Writings are to govern our faith, the Square to regulate our actions, and the Compass to keep us in due bounds with all mankind, particularly our Brethren in Freemasonry.

The Square will teach you to regulate your life and actions according to the Masonic line and rule. The Compass reminds you to limit your desires in every station of life, that rising to eminence by merit you will live respected and die regretted

That's all nice and quite moving but that's not the true essence of what it symbolizes.

The latter comment about 'limiting desires' is referring to the same baser instricts that Pike noted. But there is no reference to the sex act in any ritual that I know of. This is pure fantasy on your part and tells us more about you and your agenda than it does about freemasonry.

Um, it's plain to see what it is. Did you even read the Pike quotes I posted? I haven't read a single page of Moral and Dogmas and even I could easily see that the Square and Compass is a sex act/union whatever you wanna call it to reach "God" or "Enlightenment".

There's no fantasy or agenda here, just open your eyes.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by eudaimonia

FREEMASONRY is the subjugation of the Human that is in man by the Divine; the Conquest of the Appetites and Passions by the Moral Sense and the Reason; a continual effort, struggle, and warfare of the Spiritual against the Material and Sensual.

I would say that this is a good definition indeed.

That victory, when it has been achieved and secured, and the conqueror may rest upon his shield and wear the well-earned laurels, is the true HOLY EMPIRE.

Apparently, Pike is referring to ultimate enlightenment as gaining citizenship in a "Holy Empire". To me, this appears to be an accurate allegory. The warrior here lays down his implements of battle (representing the struggle of natural life), and is now crowned with laurel, like the ancient Greek Adepts and Persian Magi, which symbolizes peace. Both the war and the peace are internal. When victory can be claimed, the soul itself becomes a Holy Empire.

I would warn against taking the sex thing too literally, as it will cause you to miss the underlying meaning. Sex itself is an instance in the Microcosm where two opposites become one. In nature, when the positive and negative current unite, electricity is produced; in humanity and non-human animal life, a new life is produced. This is the primary Mystery, as it concerns the mystical origins of Life.

But the sex act in the Microcosm is only the material expression of the spiritual balance in the Macrocosm, which is the true interpretation of the Square and Compass. Sex, like the Square and Compass themselves, symbolize the spiritual balance, and reflect it into the Microcosm. This is the stability of the Universe, and the Royal Secret. As the alchemical maxim states: As above, so below.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman

The user Masonic Light is, maybe you should read what he said on my Square and Compass thread.

I did read it, and very interesting is was too. However I don't agree with it, as Pike, like many others, looks way too deeply into what is in essence a very simple message

Lord and Savior? God? Who is this God you speak of?

For me, Jesus, who do you think?

That's all nice and quite moving but that's not the true essence of what it symbolizes.

So you are now an authority above and beyond the ritual are you?

I haven't read a single page of Moral and Dogmas and even I could easily see that the Square and Compass is a sex act/union whatever you wanna call it to reach "God" or "Enlightenment".

The more you quote Pike without reading him, let alone understanding him, the more you will fail to understand the essence of freemasonry. I would recommend learning to walk before you can run in these matters.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

its possible that he is making a reference to the Holy Roman Empire, in so far as he is saying, masonry is the true H.E., not these temporal political authorites.

Again, I must mention again that The Compass and Square is obviously to be taken very seriously, as Pike writes it's significance over and over again. It is a very important and central piece in the teachings of Freemasonry.

the Conquest of the Appetites and Passions by the Moral Sense and the Reason

Sounds like a pretty good thing though no?

The Compass and Square is clearly the depiction of a sex act.

But how does that jive with it being the symbol that teaches the triumph of reason over base desires?

Apparently, Pike is referring to ultimate enlightenment as gaining citizenship in a "Holy Empire".

Pike's a bit of a radical and rebel though, I wouldnt' be surprised if it was a sort of slap in the face aganist institutions like the RCC (which was a temporal power at his time, no garibaldi and manzini yet I beleive) and the HRE, etc. "Reason over Passion" is the "kingdom", not some physical "Mansion in the Sky".

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reading about it doesnt necessarily make you an authority on it. I've read stephen hawking numerous times, but i wouldnt say it makes me qualified to speak about astrophysics.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by yin_yang]

top topics

join