It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pix of China amphibious ship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
A new Amphibious Combat Ship has been building

this one is right one in pic above

this one is left

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Nice pics...
Should USA be scared...??

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Nah the US has so many kickass hovercraft as to render even a fleet of these ships obselete. (ish
)

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I doubt the USA should be scared, but maybe the workers should be, take a look at the scoffolding and ramps, im no expert but it dont look too safe.

If that where Australia then occupational health and safety inspectors would be very interested.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Amphibious? Says who? Doesn’t seem it's capable of moving on land.
You either gotta have wheels or a cushion of air like the hovercraft. I dont see either! It's too darn big and heavy for any of this to work.

So dude, what system does it use on land? Antigrav? Like the UFOs? Or some other esoteric form of a land propulsion system?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
looks more like a normal carrier for tanks,troops and so on
nothing amphibious about it

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
looks more like a rust bucket old freighter with a gun on the front than an amphibious ship.

justin

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Justin, He's not talking about the ship in the last pic, the one with 23mm ZSU turret...

The ship is clearly a landing craft, cabable of carrying 2-3 MBTs... not important as a vessel, but if we see many more of those in PLA dockyards, i'd suggest to sell any investments in Taiwan that one may have.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Thanx emile! These photos are quite good. I wonder how many ships China could produce if they took the Koreas? Do Hyundai have a "works" in N. Korea? American technology and implimentation is currently superior... production capability? Pehaps not so much. If mobilization of the "economies" were a first past the post race I'm unclear on the potential outcomes. Let's hope we all learn how to get along or there may be far fewer "we" to be concerned about.

victor k.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'm no expert but I believe that the definition of amphibious is to live/exist on land and water, so as mentioned by one of the previous posters, how does this monster move on land?

or

If its a landing craft how do the vehicles or troops get off? I see no ramp.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by Koka]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
That thing is huge, how is it supposed to move in land. that would be a huge target! That thing could be spottred and destroyed by an airplane faster than you can unload it. You might as well paint a bullseye on the side, and put a huge sign on top saying "Shoot me"

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
side stepping the issue slightly. The scaffolding is most likely Bamboo, which is musch favoured in China and Hong Kong as is propbably safer the then steel used in the west.

Anyway America shouldn't be scared in a tech way but if it came to a war of atristion(sp) then China would win as they have the manufacturing infrustuction.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
A new Amphibious Combat Ship has been building

this one is right one in pic above

this one is left

Good original post Emile, pity about some of the highly informed posts that followed it. Yes it does look like an amphibious warfare ship. The twin lines running along the deck make it look like it is a tank transport and that it can accommodate a single line of tanks (maybe 8?) or two lines of other vehicles on deck. The photos are taken from the stern of the vessel and there is no rear ramp so it must go right up to the beach to unload its vehicles, presumably by a bow ramp. This opens up the possibility that it will carry MBTs rather than the more common but less combat effective Type 63A amphibious tank. This new ship appears to be a mid sized landing ship and lacks any helicopter pad.

The other landing ship in the picture is a TYPE 072-III (YUTING-II CLASS) large landing ship. The gun on the bow is a twin 37mm AAA gun. IMPORTANT – The bow number, 941 is new to us I think. That brings the total of this class to at least 8 ships(?).

The boat on the left appears to be a minesweeper.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by planeman]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Is that the best they can do? It's slightly more intimidating than a yacht with BB gun. If you bought military hardware at yard sales, you'd probably get stuff like this.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rightwingpatriot
Is that the best they can do? It's slightly more intimidating than a yacht with BB gun. If you bought military hardware at yard sales, you'd probably get stuff like this.
It's not bad; its potency comes from what it can carry, namely 250 troops and 10 MBTs (so I'm told). That's a very useful load from the PLA's perspective. There is no logic to the belief that it is in any real way inferior to the US equivilent. LSTs do not fight other LSTs, whose are better isn't really an issue.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by planeman]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Take a close look at this shipyard. do you see sheds...where assemblys are built then moved out to the location in the yard where they are installed like modules. Do you see a skid..a area where sheets of steel are cut and fabricated into assemblys or modules. Do you see painters..or sandblasting facilities here.

This is a shipyard no doubt. Look at the rails going from left to right or right to left. The ships are moved onto assemblys on this rail type system then moved left or right as needed. They are taken out of the water in the floating drydock one sees in the background. IN the back slightly left of center is two gray walls ..sticking out of the water. This is a floating dry dock. This is how the ships are raised up out of the water or put back into the water ..it can flood or drain...by pumps to raise the ships out of or flooded to lower them into the water.

The ships are moved onto or off of that rail system which is behind one of the ships...they are moved left/right or right left and onto a dry land parking place for work on them.

You see no large pieces of sheet steel in lay down areas...no buidings where pumps can be removed or lay down areas for pumps large valves, deck equipment etc etc.

What you also dont see and very telling is a abscence of heavy lift cranes/crane capacity. This is essential for building a ship..and moving equipment onto or off the ship...especially said heavy pumps...deck equipment ..stores ..etc etc.
If you dont have heavy lift capacity how are you going to put a large diesel in a ship..how about a small diesel..these things are not light weight. How about a steam condenser, A reduction gear??? Gas turbine. how about a propellor or propellor shaft?? Bow thruster assembly??

The most you are going to do right here in this area.is small maintnence and painting..surface preparation and on ships which have already been built somewhere else.

Something for some of you to take into consideration when getting all excited over these pictures.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   
ppfftt talk about your peices of crap lol i am currently living in china and it SUCKS!!!! good thing iam going back to california this summer
.You guys should see the working condition here jeez these construction sites are littered with garbage and some of the workers dont even wear masks when they are welding metal they use newspaper and poke little holes in them to see through LMAO! everything here in china is constructed waaaaay to fast and poorly so those ships would probaly sink during a test run LOL

[edit on 22-5-2006 by dabomb]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
you beat me too it orange! I was gonna say it looks like a minor repair yard. The shiplift looks like a copy of a syncrolift one.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by paperplane_uk]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
dude, this is not a hovercraft...

it's bigger than a hovercraft and can carry more

this is the ship taken from another angle:

[edit on 28-5-2006 by warset]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by warset
dude, this is not a hovercraft...

it's bigger than a hovercraft and can carry more

this is the ship taken from another angle:

[edit on 28-5-2006 by warset]

I don't believe anyone refered to the vehicle as a hovercraft, so cannot see your point.

And the pic you linked to is of little consequence as it is not that vehicle that this post is about.

D- must try harder......lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join