It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light confusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I am getting confused about one aspect of light that I thought of.

A Photon will have the same speed as viewed through any any ref frame.
However light red shifts, which means that even though a photon has the same speed as viewed from any ref frame, the photon will have different frequencies depending on which ref frame it is viewed under. Now since the Energy of a photon = planck's constant * frequency , this means that since the photon has different frrequencies in different ref frames, different ref frames will measure the same photon to have a different energy content !
Now that sounds a bit weird, but is it true, or have I made a mistake in my logic ?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm having trouble understanding your post - any chance you could restate the question?

[edit on 21-5-2006 by Pyrotechnocracy23]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I know its hard to explain what exactly I'm trying to say. I would need a diagram to do that. I hope this diagram appears.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by siddharthsma]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think it is the paradox that light when measured doesn't change. No matter how fast you are measuring from, it stays the speed of light. Is this what you're referencing?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Sorry, posted from mistake. Ignore

Follow the link I gave in my previous post, to see my diagram

[edit on 21-5-2006 by siddharthsma]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma
Now since the Energy of a photon = planck's constant * frequency , this means that since the photon has different frequencies in different ref frames, different ref frames will measure the same photon to have a different energy content !

Correct, if you are moving towards the light source, the photons will be blue-shifted and will therefore be more energetic. If you are moving away from the light source, the photons will be red-shifted and will therefore be less energetic.

It has been proposed that any future spacecraft travelling at near the speed of light will need to have some sort of radiation shielding at the front of the spacecraft to protect the astronauts inside against blue-shifted radiation. As the velocity of the spacecraft inreases towards c, normal starlight will be blue-shifted anywhere from ultraviolet, to X-rays, to Gamma-rays.

I looked at your diagram, but something seems wrong with it: observer 2 should observe a longer wavelength.

Also, I'm not familiar with the law of Action(Energy*Time)

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yes, Observer 2 does onbserve a longer wavelength, and therefore, observer 2 will also observe a lower frequency.

link   
Yes, Observer 2 does observe a longer wavelength, and therefore, observer 2 will also observe a lower frequency.

link   
Yes, Observer 2 does observe a longer wavelength, and therefore, observer 2 will also observe a lower frequency.

Crap, I've triple posted somehow. Sorry.

[edit on 22-5-2006 by siddharthsma]

new topics

top topics

join