It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Objective Schizophrenia 101

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
(formerly Pyrotechnocracy23)

It can be challenging, no doubt.

It's nice to see some insight from other high-funtioning individuals. Your threads are very astute - kudos! I wish I could hold it together that well when talking about my condition.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Recentl i have been developing a kind of fear that am a special person and find some people are being very illogical..i also have a deep thought that, i am born for a pupose in this world..hey come on,life is just not taking birth,getting married,buying house and career..it is ofcourse much much beyond that..there is a purpose for every human and species in this world...To realise u need to use ur brain and u need to realise ur SELF...only self can guide u through the true pupose pathway..but unfortunately or fortunately when one realise self,the so called PUBLIC call them it as WITHDRAWL and depression ..utter nonsense..when the insight is more and more,it strengthens ur mind and morality...so wht is wrong in being secluded from the society ..society is full of zombie's (usual ppl) who work and function almost like robots (lacking zero percengt insight) ...

If the person who will have chances of developing schizophrenia,is aware of the above quoted facts,he can recover himslef by Cognitive therapy..After all our brain is neuro plastic organ and brain waves are shaping them according to our thoughts..so when he already aware of the schizo facts and his deep SELF then,ask him to develop a habit of deep nice feelings and meditation ...let the brain waves passes on and make neuro transmitters function and destroy the evil thoughts ..this wud gradually reduces the fear and tension..he is going to be normal but with deep insight..

please practice..think good Do good and be happy...

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Will do, Joyyy.

Thank you for sharing with us here and you're right.

We are all here for a reason. We should follow that dream where it takes us in peace, light and understanding.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
"We are all here for a reason. We should follow that dream where it takes us in peace, light and understanding."

Yes we are here for a reason and that is to have sex and reproduce to ensure our survival and to pass on our genetic materials to the next.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
"DOCTOR" : you post is indeed consistent with your avatar.

Once again thanks to everyone who has posted with a degree of integrity on the matter. Your stories will not be forgotten.

If anyone wants to touch base with me during trying times, my U2U is always open and serious posts will be treated with the dignity they deserve.

Hoping everyone is having a nice day.

*cheers to stability!*

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
GENERAL EYES:
my boyfriend has been diagnosed for catatonic schiz.he is responding well to the doctor but keeping shut when he sees his parents.everyday his mother is updating things to me.
My question is,when he comes out from his tretment,will he remember me?i love him deeply...i cant think of life without him...i knew him for 6 years..will he have the same feelings for me?

How abt his career?he is a software guy and was well functioning...

am waiting for ur reply..

[edit on 19-6-2006 by joyyyy]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
GENERAL EYES:
my boyfriend has been diagnosed for catatonic schiz.he is responding well to the doctor but keeping shut when he sees his parents.everyday his mother is updating things to me.
My question is,when he comes out from his tretment,will he remember me?i love him deeply...i cant think of life without him...i knew him for 6 years..will he have the same feelings for me?

How abt his career?he is a software guy and was well functioning...

am waiting for ur reply..

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Does the doctor think he's ready for visitors yet?

It took me 3 weeks before I was able to handle the "outside world" but I still remembered my loved ones - and still cared about them deeply.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Many thanks to ur reply..I need someone's advice at this moment as i am myself is in a completed shock and tremor..

he was admitted to the hospital 2 months back..and once in 2 weeks, the doctors are updating his counselling and status to his parents.He is playing video games and reading harry potter books.but the doctor says that HE DOES recognizes his mom and dad (though he is not talking)...even if he opens his mouth,he asks for juice or harry potter books to his dad.

I am miles away from him now and every moment i spent with him was wonderful .somehow,am consoling myslef holding hopes to get a phone call or a mail from him.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Glad to hear he's snapped out of the catatonia -

How old is your friend?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
He is 24 years old!and is a software engineer..

Dae

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Been browsing about and found this fascinating page that Id like to share on this thread. Fascinating, gotta say it for a few reasons.

Source

New Study Shows Link Between Retrovirus and Schizophrenia

A study released April 10, 2001, provides compelling evidence that there is a link between schizophrenia and a virus from the family HERV-W. This is a virus that is present in the environment and is often found in a person’s DNA.
Dr. David Yolken of Johns Hopkins University and scientists at the University of Heidelberg, traces of the active form of the virus where found in 10 out of 35 patients recently diagnosed with acute schizophrenia. A control group of people without schizophrenia showed no trace of these genes.

This Yolken dude is focusing on mental disorders possibly being caused by germs, genetics and enviromental triggers.

The next article on the same page had this too!

Schizophrenia Risk and Father's Age

Scientists at Sweden's Karolinska Institute found that children fathered by men aged 45 or older were three times as likely to develop schizophrenia as offspring of men aged 20-24.

"We already knew there was an increased risk when older women have children," Christina Dahlman, the physician who led the study, told Reuters Friday.

"When I looked closer at the men I noticed that many children with schizophrenia had old fathers."

The findings, released this week, support earlier studies by Israeli and American scientists.

Its funny yet sad, its been a cultural belief that older men having children is fine and dandy, sow the seeds far and wide for as long as you can! This is in my mind big news! A man over 45 is three tmies more likely to father schizophrenic children.

Linking back to the virus idea. Would a man of 45 be three times more likely to have developed/caught/activated the virus and pass it on to their children? Yolken even said that his number one choice for the trigger is herpes. I hope something really helpful to people will be discovered soon

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

New Study Shows Link Between Retrovirus and Schizophrenia

Yolken even said that his number one choice for the trigger is herpes.
I hope something really helpful to people will be discovered soon

Eureka,
years ago there was some papers & thoughts about herpes being some sort of sister ailment in schizophrenics.
Although not everyone who had any of the types of herpes, had schizophrenia.
At least someone is still investigating that possible linkage

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
There has always been a hot debate about genetics and environment - I've always wondered if the possibility of certain genetics in certain environments leading towards schizophrenia.

I've found my condition becomes more disabling in the South, where the majority of public opinion is very hostile to anyone who isn't in "fit form" on all fronts - most of this has to do with the social isolation that comes as a result - granted, this is secondhand environments - more of a social environment, if you will.

When I was living in more "progessive areas" (the West Coast and Washington State) I found I was much more creative and able to transfer those creative initiatives into a solid, constructive format.

The "voices" I experienced up there were much more gentile, refined and helpful in my day to day - whether or not this is some sort of correlation to the overall collective conciousness of the area I cannot say for sure, but here in the South the "voices" are clearly much more hostile and the delusions are pointless and lead nowhere but to the hospital. The episodes themselves are more violent in nature, and deal with a entirely different "breed" of subject matter.

It gives the definite impression that there is no "place" for me here - yet I cannot afford to live in the more progressive areas for lack of being able to work.

I have three more years in this area (if I make it) - and then we're doing our best to return to the more "hospitable" climates.

How does this link to genetics?

Well - still working on that.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Sorry about that - I just realized I had rewritten something I covered in a previous post...derf. My bad.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
~~

>i flipped a coin....so the post goes here instead of MacDough? thread<

There is a universe of symptoms related to brain & rational-irrational behavior -
which some Drs. determine are sure signs of schizophrenia,
thus creating for themselves or their peer group a population of patients...

Here is a 4:54 video, just click to stream to your PC

opposingdigits.com...

->the vid deals with the larger issue of mental health diagnosis rather than
the Schizophrenic, but i think my point is contained in there...

i reinterate my view;
schizos are a natural, normal consequence at any layer of societies
...and persons without a certain measure of 'symptoms' are the
one's in need of counsel & maybe even meds.

see ya around

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Pyrotechnocracy23, Thank you for posting this. I just came across this site today and registered. I am a 45 year mother searching for answers and what to do for my 19 year old daughter. She may or may not be Schizophrenic, but was involuntarily commited last week for aggressive behavior toward another co worker and dialing 911. The police determined her behavior was odd and sent her to a local psychiatric hospital. When she got there they said she was manic depressive type I and put her on abilify and ativan. Unfortunately, when her Dad picked her up and brought her home to me, this past week has been very upsetting and rocky. I do not know what to do, and feel that she may have been misdiagnosed. At times she seems almost normal, but then as she talks to you, she makes very odd statements, and sometimes seems like she is talking about several different things at once. She gets easily excitable, and almost out of control, and other times almost seems like a robot with canned expressions. I have noticed when I try to talk with her calmly about the odd behavior she gets very upset, and will spout out words that make no sense to the subject matter at hand. She overmedicated herself last night take 3 times the normal amount of her ativan saying she couldn't sleep. Then this morning she wanted to take much more than the prescribed medication abilify. I did manage to talk with her and get her to agree to let me handle her medication. I myself am a diagnosed manic depressive, type II, and have been around other manic depressive people in a controlled IOP program. I have never seen this type of behavior in myself or manic depressives. With the exception of the excitability, or poor judgement, it really seems there is something else going on with my daughter. Neither I nor her father are sure how to communicate with her effectively. She does have an Uncle who has severe schizophrenia, but she is not nearly like him in the same way, but very similar, almost a milder version so to speak. This is so upsetting to me because I see this beautiful 19 year old girl with her life barely begun going through this. She started college a year ago, but all this has come to a halt. She wants to be independent, yet does not seem competent enough to me to do so.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by ManicKat]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
hey Pryo,

I have a friend whom I think she is having schizophrenia. Why did I say that?

cause she always says that she is able to see something we cannot see, she call them guardian or someting close to that name. They are in form of ppl or animal.

The purpose of my post is, just curious, how should I and my friends react to her when she start telling us all those stuff?? I mean which way should we communicate with her so that she will feel better and we will feel comfortable??

btw, thanks pyro for starting this thread. XD

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hello all-

I hope this is the correct forum for this post, as I really need advice. And to anyone suffering from this horrible illness my heart goes out to you and your stuggle. Both my parents suffering from the same delusions/paranoia how is this possible?

I have been reading posts on this site for several years now and I have to say it's an amazing site. I am very open minded I pretty much believe ANYTHING is a possibility. Between Aliens, reincarnation, government conspiracies, Atlantis, etc. However what I am experience with both my parents has left me at a loss.

Let me give you a brief background. I have 4 siblings of which one is suffering from schizophrenia now for about 9 years. It hit him while he was 22 in college. He was completely ok prior to this and my whole family to this day have no clue what brought it on. He has a very severe case by the way. Believes he was Jesus Christ, Abe Lincoln and can time travel right in front of me or travel to mars by closing his eyes, hears voices, sees things that aren't there, etc. Shortly after he was diagnosed we found out my great grandfather.. who we were told died early, had been committed to a mental institution as well. I read his diagnoses and same exact symptoms as my brother. Thought he wife was trying to poison him, took different ways home every day because he thought people were following him, etc.

I tell you this brief background to let you know I am pretty aware of the symptoms although years ago I had no idea what happened to my pour brother. Now, both my parents are 60 and still married. My mom although we love her so very much, all my siblings have always felt as we have grown older she is has some type of paranoia/depression however no where near as bad as my brothers. She has no friends and this dates back to childhood, always finding things wrong with potential friends, burnt many bridges with her mother, sister etc. It's always everyone else.. not her. If that makes sense. She hasn't "worked" since she was 24 however raised us as out father only worked.

My father has always been a stable person. Made some good money over the years, we grew up far from rich but well off. I mention this because I think this may be leading to the breakdown. Like many in the country, my dad has lost a lot of money recently and has been laid off and can not find work. However it should be noted my dad through out his life has made at times very very good money, then make HORRIBLE financial mistakes. So that being said he has lost a lot, financially over his lifetime due to poor choices on his part.

I am going to try and be brief because I need help and hope someone reading this can help:

My parents moved into an apartment about 4 months ago due to them having to foreclose on their home. However once settles this is when the bizarre begins to happen. My mom almost right away begins have conflicts with the "lady upstairs". Everyday she calls me "She is making loud noises all through the night to get back at me for playing the piano". Mind you my dad did find a job briefly during this time, so my mom was always home alone. So my dad I believe in the beginning just took her word for it, then maybe got "sucked in"? I am not saying some things didn't go on, maybe they really didn't get along. But then it gets worse, they believe they start to tell me that when my mom leaves to go to the store she comes back and things are moved around. So it's the "lady and husband up stairs breaking in to move things to terrorize her". So, my dad changes the lock, of course "they" still find a way in according to my parents. All in the small fraction time they aren't home and all to move a towel around or take a picture. They begin telling me her whole back story as well as the husbands. Mind you, this isn't actual, just what my parents believe to be true. Many other things went on for months but too much to type. If you want to know I will gladly share.

So, finally they snap. They just leave! We help them move, and my mother goes to stay with my grandmother and my dad stays with me so I can help the move. During this time, my dad who I always have valued his financial advice and who never opens up with emotions kinda breaks down and as we are grabbing a bit to eat just opens up that he cant believe this is what his life has become, all the money his pissed away on poor choices, having to rent at 60, having to borrow money from his children. That can take a toll on a man.. I nor by siblings truly believed what happened, we felt it wasn't true however we gave my parents the benefit of the doubt and hoped the move would be a cure all.

Ok, flash forward about a month. We get them moved in, they get settled. Boy was I mistaken. I find out Friday my dad spends $1000 to put in a security system. It turns out they believe.. wait I'm sorry, they "know" the old neighbors knew I was going to see my mother on mothers day and followed me(over an hour)to find out where they live. They hired the "Arabs" who lives below them to break in and begin to move everything around again. My dad's check book was missing, things being moved etc. Mind you all this still going on AFTER(like I told my dad it would)they put in surveillance and an alarm Friday. So it's the attic they tell us, the Arab's are sending their small child through the attic to move things around to make "my parents out to be crazy" as my dad tells me. My dad tells me this is what mentally ill people do(referring to his old neighbors). So today they had the attic investigate and boarded up, and of course nothing was there. Tomorrow he is having the place "swept for electronic devices", they believe this is how they know when they are gone to sneak in.

There is no rationalizing with either they are convinced this is all happening and true. At this point all of use are so frustrating because no matter what they will keep making reasons for how they got in. This is obviously part of the delusion. I said to him today, ok after the sweep of devices and being you have surveillance, an alarm system the attic boarded up if nothing is found will you promise me you will let this ok. He said yes at the point he would have to.. then of course what I expected "Until it begins to happen again". It's obvious, no matter what it will happen again because their minds are not thinking rationally.

So I gave you the briefest summary I could I am sorry it is pretty long still. I am asking for help or advice on how to handles this. Is it possible that two people, can experience the exact same hallucinations and delusional stories?? Both believe it all to be true? Has anyone experienced this before?

As I said I am very open minded however I can not see how any of this can be true. Mind you, all the "breaking in" is done to just move a thing or two. Or take a picture of mu nephew because "the lady is jealous she doesn't have one" according to my mother.

I believe my mom started this in her mind, my dad would get it second hand. Kinda agree with my mother because he didn't want to argue. Then over time between the stress and depression my dad had to obviously be feeling, he is having a mental/nervous breakdown. My last question, if they are suffering fro a form of paranoid schizophrenia how does my family convince them to get help?

One more question actually. Could there delusions actually be happening? And if so why would people want to go to such lengths to torment them?

Thank you in advance so much.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join