It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of current active volcanoes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
List Here

Lots of activity going on

Please refer to the link, its too long to post. I dont think its natural to have so many about to go off.
I'm not a volcanologist so i dont know. I just find it very interesting.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
your list is a little out of date, I was just in Washington ( moving there in like 3 days ) and I ran into two geologists at the hotel I was staying at (albeit in the hotel bar) and they were telling me they were there to study the volcanoes in the area, and that mount st. helens is in fact erupting right now. your site does not list it as erupting right now, but says it had 'activity'. Also missing from the list is Mt. Baker, which they also told me was an active volcano ( Which happens to be near where I am moving, but they told me I'd be far enough away to just 'sit back and watch the fireworks')

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Definitions of Volcano activity Categories from the USGS:

Active volcano
Scientists usually consider a volcano active if it is currently erupting or showing signs of unrest, such as unusual earthquake activity or significant new gas emissions. Many scientists also consider a volcano active if it has erupted in historic time. It's important to note that the span of recorded history differs from region to region; in the Mediterranean, recorded history reaches back more than 3,000 years but in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, it reaches back less than 300 years, and in Hawai`i, little more than 200 years.

Dormant volcano
Dormant volcanoes are those that are not currently active (as defined above), but could become restless or erupt again.

Extinct volcano
Extinct volcanoes are those that scientists consider unlikely to erupt again. Whether a volcano is truly extinct is often difficult to determine. For example, since calderas have lifespans sometimes measured in millions of years, a caldera that hasn't produced an eruption in tens of thousands of years is likely to be considered dormant instead of extinct. Yellowstone caldera in Yellowstone National Park is at least 2 million years old and hasn't erupted for 70,000 years, yet scientists do not consider Yellowstone as extinct. In fact, because the caldera has frequent earthquakes, a very active geothermal system, and rapid rates of ground uplift, many scientists consider it to be a very active volcano!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

top topics

join