It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

governments experiment with living with out sleeps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
the government has recently started experimenting with the idea that you can survive months an even years with out sleep. they havnt acknowledged this. but there have been test with rats where they have been kepts alive for 28 days with out sleep. with constant healty food it may be possible.

i also found this article
www.thanhniennews.com...
a vietnamese claims to have stayed away for 33 years. This could have been a reason for them to have on the war. if the vietcong didnt sleep they could certainly attack during the knight or have the patience to set all those traps

what do u think

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The human body is very capable but without stimulants... it is pretty hard IMO. My personnal score is about 50 hres without sleep... so maybe I will try to increase that number this summer? It would be interesting!

I'll post back on this thread with the results when I'll do it. Anyone else for competition?

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Anyone else for competition?

I have gone over 96 hours, but not much more than that. The trick is not stimulants, I used none, how ever having insomnia helped.

Certainly, extended periods of no sleep can be achieved. However such takes away from the natural process, that the body uses for regeneration. The rest is required so the body can heal, fight infection more readily and so on so forth.
The body needs a down time to reproduce chemicals, not to mention proteins required for healthy function.

Until such can be replaced and properly, there is no substitute for sleep.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Amazing what the human body can endure. Ultrarunning athletes can run 72 hours non-stop, they are able to sleep while running.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
Amazing what the human body can endure. Ultrarunning athletes can run 72 hours non-stop, they are able to sleep while running.

Any sources for that? And if it's true, it's incredible! What's the guiness record for non-sleeping except this vietnamise guy?

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Any sources for that? And if it's true, it's incredible!

Well, I heard that by word of mouth from the 'ultrarunners community' many people claim to be capable of sleep-running, unless they are liars of course. I'm not the one to blame if they are making s# up.

I don't know any scientific sources. While googling on the subject I found this magazine article so far.

www.ultramarathonman.com...

He grows so weary, Karnazes has even fallen asleep while running. "Once, at 4 a.m. on my second night of a race, I woke up and there was a car honking at me. I'd been sleep-running out into the middle of the road. I must have covered a couple hundred feet while asleep."

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I don't know about running while asleep for 72 hours, but my grandfather, when doing military training in WWII, he and everybody else eventually learned to be able to actually sleep while marching, strange as it sounds. I'm pretty sure they didn't go 72 hours, though! He didn't say (and I can't ask anymore, since he died in 1999) but I don't imagine they did it for more than a few hours at a time.

I've also heard of a few rare stories like the one about that guy who hasn't slept in decades. One guy I remember held two full time jobs, since he didn't need the extra time to sleep.

Assuming there were no health risks, I would love to not require sleep, especially as I am one of those people who needs more sleep than most, for whatever reason. Even if there were health risks, like cutting ten years off your life, you would still have more conscious time alive, and would (debatably) still be worth it. Assuming you sleep roughly 1/3 of your life, then gaining the ability to go without sleep would gain you about 2 to 3 decades of extra time to do things; that's worth a lot, and I would be willing to sacrifice a great deal to have that. I hope these scientists can make it work...

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Wow sleep running sounds pretty fun.

Apparently, if the human body goes for more than 10 days (or so for most) without sleeping, it dies. What a lovely thought!
Sleep-deprivation was a common torture during Korean / Vietnam wars. I'm not exactly sure how they kept the guys awake, but they managed it. Oh, sure, I would prefer sleep deprivation to rope torture, I hear you say. Try the former and you'll think again!

Also, rats die anyway at the 28 day mark. I'm not sure that keeping one awake for that long with drugs or whatever proves anything.

And also, being deprived of sleep can lead to diabetes, which I do not want and hence I do not want to try depriving myself of sleep for more than a few days.

[edit on 20/5/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Interesting topic!

I think my maximum has been five days straight...but I don't go for sleep deprivation anymore. I get very severe headaches if I'm up for more than 36 hours.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
What are the psychological effects of going this long without sleep?

I've gone a little over 4 days and I felt like I was going insane. Hallucinations and everything. I wonder if they'll ever find a way around that, or if they already have. If this goes civilian I wouldnt mind being able to live normally on less sleep. Feels like Im wasting my day when I sleep

Sign me up

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I went around 5 days once, and yeah, i had halucinations, and all kinds of strange things happen. I ended up finally falling asleep standing up in the middle of a field, and when i woke up i finally was able to get home and sleep.

While going to school full time and working 4 jobs, i fell asleep a few times at work, washing dishes, and just kept washing somehow. One time i thought i was laying in bed sleping, when i woke up, my hands were moving and i was still doing dishes, but the pile was a lot smaller.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Ive been able to do 70 hours. After that I lose focus, feel dizy and sureal. When i go to sleep after a session like that, my mind floods with all of the things that i encountered during that period i was awake. Its like its trying to process the info from 72 hours. At that point i can pretty much imagine what ever i want and dream about it, its kinda cool acctually. good for thinking deeply about something.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
When i go to sleep after a session like that, my mind floods with all of the things that i encountered during that period i was awake. Its like its trying to process the info from 72 hours.

I get the same thing, but it's not cool, i cloe my eyes and see a ridiculous flood of information that i know i can't possibly comprehend, but every aspect of it begs my attention, As soon as i do focus attention, it goes away and a million other thoughts compete for my attention. It feels like trying to comprehend 11 dimensions while trapped in Flatland.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
After about 36 hours I get intensive imagery when I close my eyes - complex symbolism.

Several years ago I was testing my endurance and stayed awake for days on end, for months at a time - just to see where my thoughts led me. I experienced some astonishing revelations and insights, and found my creativity had taken a sharp upswing.

A friend of mine (whom I was traveling with) mentioned we were "lucid dreaming" - a state where the dream world merges with the waking world.

It was quite an experience.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
AT least im not wierd, and everyone else gets this cool imagrey, i think its cool. I realize that at this point there is so much info floating in your mind, but it helps and works when you concentrate on a problem or some sort of visual. To focus is key, otherwise, all of the memories come flooding. I just cant understand why the mind would do this, I thought it processed when first viewed. Apparently the mind stores everything and then kinda formats your mind when you sleep....i guess.....im just blowing out my bung hole....but it seems it would be fact.

also, i just saw a documentary on isacc newton, and appranetly when he did his best work he only slept 6 to 4 hours, i think having that much control (if you can control it) in your minds eye is a very very powerful thing to have.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I used to do a lot of methamphetamine, and went regularly a full week without sleep. The longest period was 2 full weeks with no sleep.

The body and mind are completely wrecked by not being able to recuperate during the sleep cycle. You go insane and don't even realize it.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I had a stroke and one of the consequences is that my circadian rhythm section now plays punk rock instead of lullabyes. For the last 13 years I've not had more than a two hour nap unless really whacked on sleep meds. I don't use them anymore. I get 5 to 7 hours over a day if I'm absolutely physically and more importantly mentally exhausted. I have not dreamed since Feb 20 1993 to my best knowledge. Good nutrition and healthy "sleep hygiene" practices are helpful. You will require a 'saint-like" significant other or you'll spin a bearing on the top end and maybe pop a burst plate.

Can folks get by with less sleep? Sure, for a while, "the candle that burns brightest lasts but half as long" seems an appropriate analogy. If you know folks with sleep disorders cut them some reasonable slack... because sleep deprivation messes with otherwise normal human behaviour and personality and not always in a good way.

I can't help but think that research in this domain is on-going both covertly and overtly... much of sleep is understood, I think there's much more left to discover in the various levels of consciousness open to those with the gifts to go there.

Thanx,

Victor K.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I heard about a guy who stayed awake for 9 days striaght then passed out

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
well the key to staying awake is the constant amount of food. Ive stayed up a good week or so, as long i your constantly eat you dont feel any effects.

The worse things that i notice are thinks things an doing another,because so much information is moving through the brain your actions get placed at different times.

Thats why i think sleep is tied to memory, if you dont sleep your brain doesnt have time to place things in your long term memory,therfore is staying in your short term repeating itself over an over,hints why you see masses of information when you do close ur eyes.

thats why i have a strong feeling the government has been experimenting with this. because recently my father was on a mission an claimed he hadnt slepts in a 12 days but didnt feel a bit tired, there constantly feeding there bodies with high protein an other need vitamins

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville
I heard about a guy who stayed awake for 9 days striaght then passed out

I know a guy at my church who is a retired cop, and he once stayed awake for 10 days straight. When he went to bed, he slept for an entire two days.
Probably not a good idea to try yourself...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join