It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

burning vegetable oil in home furnace

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
i know you can burn vegetable oil in a diesel engine without modifiying it. but
is it possible to do the same with your home oil burning furnace . when we run out and cant get any we buy kerosene or diesel to keep it going untl they deliver i was wondering becuse that would save a bunch of money if you could get ahold of a bunch of old oil from restaurants.

MBF

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work. The first diesel engine wasn't run on diesel, but peanut oil. I think that the only problem would be if the oil was stored in a cold area, it may gel. As long as it is kept warm enough so that it doesn't gel, there should be no problems.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
PLease be REALLY REALLY careful, when switching fuels like that.
They aren't exactly the same, And I would hate for someone in your family to be poisoned by the likes of Carbon monoxide..

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
The problem with your idea is that vegetable oil is more expensive than heating oil. You would be using a conventional heating oil furnace, and the last time I bought cooking oil at the low cost of $13 for 5 gallons that is 2.60 gallon.....not much improvement, plus you would have to adjust the jets for the vegetable oil to do this. Cooking oil is probably not optimized to yield as much heat as a heating oil therefore, you will have to use more of it to gain the same energy.

An alternative to future money savings would be to use free cooking oil from restaraunts, but you cannot just throw it in a burner and expect it to not gum everything up. You would have to filter it and get it back to a usable condition. I would expect that if you did this it would work fine. Carbon monoxide is not a problem anymore with any other fuel so much as you do not have leaks in your heat exchanger or flue. I would suggest finding a good bio-diesel forum and talk to people who have actually converted engines and burners to use scavenged waste cooking oil.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
to make proper bio-diesel you need methanol, and you will probably end up paying more for that than your heating fuel costs.

also, you may be taxed on the bio-diesel and you will need also to check on how much percentage of bio-diesel your country allows you to use as some countries will not allow you to use much.

bio-diesel sounds good in theory but in practice, its not always financially viable

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I thought it would be appropriate to comment in your topic here, with something for you to consider.

Bio-Fuels, are not really all that difficult.

Afterall, it is becoming evident this is Old World Technology.

PYRGOS, Cyprus - It is praised for its culinary and health properties by any cooks worth their salt, but long before olive oil made it into the Mediterranean diet, Cypriots used it as fuel to melt copper, archaeologists say.

Italian researchers have discovered that environmentally friendly olive oil was used in furnaces at a site in southern Cyprus up to 4,000 years ago, instead of the fume-belching charcoal used in industry for hundreds of years since.

Described as “liquid gold” by the ancient Greek poet Homer, olive oil has long been associated with grooming, pampering and the religious rites of the ancients, but not — at least in the Mediterranean — with heavy industry.........

“It is the first time this has been discovered ... and in Europe it’s only recently that industry has turned to biofuels. This oil burns like benzene,”

www.archaeologynews.org...,000-year-old%20furnaces

I found this amazing, that Olive Oil was used in this manner in 2000 BC, but yes, even being an Italian Group researching this, they still note it's cheaper to use Regular fuel, at $2.00 a Gallon, apposed to $23.00 a Gallon for Olive Oil.

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
just remember that most crops are produced using fertilizer, derived from fossil fuels

www.fromthewilderness.com...

Mod Edit: Fixed Link.

[edit on 1/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
On a UK news program tonight they were talking about the situation in Palestine, there is very little fuel there at the moment thanks to the Hamas government being 'cut off' from funding etc.

Anyhoo, the feature focused on what the taxi drivers were doing to get around this problem; presumably the cars must have been diesel cars.
They were using cooking oils.

They also said 6 cars had blown their engines.

Now it may be that the demands of a modern diesel engine in a car are too much to just go throwing anything at them, but, on the other hand, it may just be that raw cooking oil isn't a great idea.

From what I have read you need Isopropyl alcohol, Methanol and Sodium Hydroxide stirred and 'cooked' with you old veg oil.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Don't do that. While it's true that many diesel engines would run on vegetable oil, the conditions in your home furnace are probably suboptimal for oil burning. The viscosity is way different from standard fuel oil. It may clog the injector. It can produce a lot of sooth while burning until the coils are clogged. Etc etc.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
FYI, the first diesel engine ran on pulverized coal.

MBF

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ibgrimme

The first diesel engine was fueled by peanut oil.

LINK

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

right like c02 is going to suddenly come into the house somehow, it goes to the same place as it did before. chances are exactly the same

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Got a friend in Highland County Ohio that runs his diesel truck on restaurant waste oil. Filtering is accomplished by running the waste veggie oil thru a still, identical to a moonshine still. Must do something to the oil, too, because he dumps the distilled product right into the truck's fuel tank and has been doing this LONG before it became fashionable.

I want to know why this seems to work for him. I've put new veggie oil in the fridge and discovered that there is liquid oil on top of the thicker oil (fractions?!?); then run some thru a stovetop still and test the result in the output of the still in the fridge to compare results.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A friend of mine runs his jetta on used veggie oil. He doesn't run it through a stil only some low micron filters. In order to burn this stuff in the engine it first needs to be heated to at least 180* F to keep its viscosity down.
Also the reason that an engine will blow with veggie oil is cause they over heat. Veggie oil burns slower then diesel so if the injector timing is not advanced some then the oil is still burning after the exhaust port opens, causeing engine damage.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I am using veg. oil as a fuel to heat my house and hot water. Add kerosene and galolene to this the oil. Play with the % until it will egnite in for furnace. Make sure to re-seal you complete system as to NOT get any bad fuems with in your house.

I have four restraunts that give there oil. Don't forget to filter it well.

Have fun.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I too an interested in using a used blend oil. corn oil and cottenseed oil 50/50 blend. I can get 100 gallons a week for free and I am currently trying to get a home oil #2 fuel burner to run on the veggie oil. so far i cant get it to ignight. I am going to try to ramp up the temp of the oil prior to it going to the nozzle. I am going to also try different size nozzles. If anyone has other ideas or tricks. let me know, Dan @ dchapin4@nycap.rr.com

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I read about this last week..its not recommended. Yuode have to re adjust the pilot flame(only a pro shuold do this) and burning vegetable oil, most likely will cause carbon to build up inside the furnace, because it turns out, vegetable oil has a higher flash point to ignite to burn. Dont do it. Thier are conversion kits you can buy, to burn used motor oil in your furnace, for example, but their very expensive, well over $2,000 for each unti: (

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
There are some logistics to be worked out BEFORE you can use straight WVO(waste veggie oil) in your home furnace. As I just finished setting one up for a friend, I can give you some insight.

You do not need to "crack" it into bio-diesel.

You have to have a waste oil burner to begin with, as they are different from a standard burner

You will have to get a separate tank to settle it in, with the correct filtration at the take off point.

Then you will need to install a preheater into your fuel supply line.

Once thats done, have at it. Be advised tho- your exhaust will smell like the food that was cooked in the WVO. If you got your WVO from McD's its going to smell like a big mac(not really, but you get the idea), if it came from the local Chinese place, its going to smell like something else.

Understand I simplified it quite a bit, but those are the basics.

The unit I just set up, puts out around 210,000btu's and thats with a firebox I fabricated. It could be more efficient, but we were freezing and I was in a hurry.

If you have a source for WVO it could be worth it. Thats up to you to decide.

TheWelder

[edit on 17-2-2009 by TheWelder]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I read about this last week..its not recommended. Yuode have to re adjust the pilot flame(only a pro shuold do this)

Oil furnaces do not have pilot lights. They are electrically ignited. Provided you have a waste oil burner to begin with there is nothing to "adjust"

TheWelder

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join