It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

video game stirs controversy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I wasnt sure where to post this so I will post it here.....

Super Columbine Massacre is a new video game that is stirring controversy.

I have downloaded it and it is quite disturbing in some aspects....

www.columbinegame.com... is the website all about it

what do you all think of this?

There is a ton of outrage from the victims parents over this and it was on cnn.

what I found intrigueing is that it has that "Taboo" game/software feel to it.....havent seen alot of that since the early 90's.

Freedom of speech? or gone too far?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I guess it all depends on your perspective, it certainly is not what I would want to buy for my child and I have in the past purchased them games and music that were rated MA because they could not buy them due to age.

But I can't imagine putting one dollar in the pocket of someone willing to profit from such a tragedy. I don't believe in censorship. I do not want the gov. to tell anyone they can't do this but I would never support this type of greed and think that most people will not buy the product. I can definitely understand the parents being outraged about this.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm gonna download it and give a try, I'm a sucker for RPGs.

I don't see what the problem is really. It's a free game that makes light of a serious situation. I use to do that all the time when I made games in my free time at school.

Now, if it was being sold... that would be another story. But as it's free, it's just a game mocking a real life situation. I don't really give a toss about "taboos". If you can't talk about it, the fear grows and understanding twists.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xar Ke Zeth
I'm gonna download it and give a try, I'm a sucker for RPGs.

I don't see what the problem is really. It's a free game that makes light of a serious situation. I use to do that all the time when I made games in my free time at school.

Now, if it was being sold... that would be another story. But as it's free, it's just a game mocking a real life situation. I don't really give a toss about "taboos". If you can't talk about it, the fear grows and understanding twists.

exactly....it is free.....although after playing it, it gives the impression that the victims were klebold and harris.

which, true, is a tragedy...and their writings show talent so terribly wasted.....

and if you take into consideration they were the primary victims and the others were victims of their inability to deal with their frustrations, which is unfortuneately common in young men.

it was a tragedy, they were talented deep thinkers who let rage and negative emotions take over everything including their futures.

this game really leaves with a sense, that the perpetrators were the victims.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I thought about downloading it to give it a try but if those are sample graphics at the bottom, it looks a bit retro and I have better games to play than that. I think I would rather play a game where I get to shoot and kill aliens or play and an old game called Crusader where you can shoot the flammable barrels where the liquid will splash on enemy soldiers and the game has great sound effects of a person screaming afterwards.

Overall I think making a game based on a tragedy seems to be in poor taste. I think the creators should have changed it to some fictional school town setting instead of possibly putting extra hurt on relatives of victims.

If they really wanted it to be more politically correct, they could have made up a storyline where aliens were disguising themselves as school kids. Of course I don't think anyone intended this game to be politically correct.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
No, in fact that was the main purpose... to look at this and stop and think about this. Think of the way we treat people and yes people get treated crumby although I dont think blowing them away solves it. I think the point is, we let things seperate and define us to the point we descriminate against others who are not yet defined by something.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I'm thinking the same as XphilesPhan... But while doing a little looking around i did find something I think is a bit more disturbing....

Now this is profiteering at its worst....

www.columbinepaintball.com

Join the experience in large groups! The more the better! We have all the space needed for large groups of people who want to experience the Columbine PaintBall. Play with the whole department from work, come with your school class to play against your high-school buddies.We can accommodate as much as 60 players total in one game, playing as either The Young Killers or the SWAT Team.The players playing as the SWAT Team are equipped with radio gear to coordinate strikes.We have enough protection equipment to have as much as 100 players total, playing as The Innocent Students.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
In my opinion if someone doesn't like something, they don't have to watch/buy/play or listen to it. I have absolutely no desire to play, or even see this game, so I will not. There are a lot of shows on TV that I think are utter crap, so I don't watch them. This does not mean someone else doesn't like them.
As a matter of fact, I probably stumbled across this site because of the wife and/or the kids watching something on TV I thought was crap.

Of course, there are always the sickos out there who will get the game because of what happened there, but surely, hopefully, they are in the minority.

If rudeness and bad taste were crimes we would be seeing some SERIOUS prison overcrowding then. lol

[edit on 20-5-2006 by Pass]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I beat it. Pretty well done for an amateur game programmer, quite a few interesting easter eggs in the beginning part of the game. It goes farther to explain and come to terms with what the shooters were motivated by and why they did what they did. It doesn't try to excuse them, but it does give more insight than any news program you ever saw.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I can see what he/their trying to do. Theyre making a statement. Its demented and sick to exploit a tragedy like this but nevertheless its his opinion and hes obviously entitled to it. Im sure there's more just like this, which is obviously terrible.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Sick, demented, perverted and socially unacceptable.

I LOVE IT.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I dl'd it an messed with it for a few minutes and lost intrest. I got the impression it wasnt done to exploit the trajedy of columbine (the game is free afterall), but rather try to show people why they would do something.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I started a thread on the game earlier but it got sucked into BTS for some reason.
www.belowtopsecret.com...
Exploiting tagedy is inexcusable, you should read an interview the guy gave, pretty much hiding behind that whole "I was picked on as a kid too" routine.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
everyone got picked on in highschool including me but those of us who were literally tortured in highschool have more endurance. I used it as a tool to succeed infact I have learned I am more successful now then the chumps who picked on me. while they are working hard physical labour until they are 65 I sit back, kick my feet up and laugh at them because I bet now they wish they would have been nicer tome and my friends.

I say to all those now who get picked on in high school or can't get a date do to lack of popularity. Focus on you studies and you will succeed, you will be rich, you will get to women or men, Let's not forget those of us who will return to the highschool reunion to show everyone else up.

new topics

top topics

join