It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of Speech ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hi Guys, I am from UK & I was shocked to hear that Charlie Sheen is becoming prey (SIMPLY FOR SPEAKING HIS MIND) to media vultures.
I have a lot of respect for one of your TOP DUDES;Alex Jones & I saw the story here;

www.infowars.com...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
He has the right to state his opinions and others have the right to state their opinion of his opinion. He's considered a celebrity and this comes with the territory.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yes, these days if you say something against the government, there are lots of people available and lots of dollars to put behind slamming you.

Freedom of Speech is still alive, but there are terrible consequences sometimes. It's becoming a concept of the past.

82% Agree with Sheen

Despite the best efforts of the now whimpering attack poodles of the mainstream media, an online CNN poll shows that over four-fifths, or 82 per cent, agree with actor Charlie Sheen that the U.S. government covered up the real events of the 9/11 attacks.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Ok I get it... Free Speech for Charlie Sheen, but none for the media.

I just love it when celebrities say stupid and un-patriotic things. Then cry when the public, who then use their own freedom of expression, refuse to watch their movies, buy their CD's.

Freedom of expression for all! Learn the lesson from the Dixie Twits, they have never been the same after their "free speech" disaster.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Carseller4, I do agree with you that Free Speech is for everyone, including the media, but the media has a specific job to do (ideally) and that is to present the facts without opinion. The people are (ideally) supposed to be able to rely on the media for a neutral presentation of the facts and then we're supposed to form our opinions.

But it's been a long time since the media has truly been a "We Report, You Decide" kind of organization.

But I think that's why I'm impatient with any media-organized attack on Charlie Sheen or the Dixie Chicks or even Bush. The media should report what's going on without bias.

I know... I'm dreaming...

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The media has never been unbiased, not since the day the concept was invented. The writers are all humans, there ain't no such critter as an unbiased reporter, what ever his/her political leanings. Every single one of them have an agenda. It is up to us, as hopefully educated readers and listeners, to separate the wheat from the chaff.

If one ventures an opinion on a subject, one should be ready to reap what one sows, IMHO. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but it also comes with a responsibility as well, and that is to listen, not only to the people who agree with you, but just as importantly, to the people who disagree with you. Because no one person is entirely correct, or entirely wrong. Somewhere in the middle is the reality.

Charlie Sheen ventured his opinion on the open airwaves, as do many other people these days. We shouldn't be to surprised that there were persons waiting to take offence, or to agree.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
True, seagull. (Notice I said ideally a few times and I cop to the fact that I'm dreaming.)

But there's a big difference between trying to be unbiased (or as unbiased as a human being and news reporter can be) and actively seeking out people to dispel a certain opinion. According to Alex Jones (and I havent been able to corroborate it) CNN has been trying to convince people to badmouth Sheen, even canceling their appearances if they refuse. And the reporter who did interview Alex Jones had his show moved to another spot.

That's pretty damn biased, not just a human tendency toward opinion.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I hadn't heard that CNN is pressuring people to badmouth Sheen, that would be crossing the line. Regardless of what my opinion of Sheen might be. Totally uncool, if there is anything to this. Gonna see what I can find out.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I am a fan of John S Mill - in his work "On Liberty" he wrote that the real danger comes not from the government silencing those who dissent, but from the public majority who censure those who dare speak things out of the ordinary. Here we see an excellent example of what Mill talked about.

Many could learn something from what Mill said about free speech. He said that it should be encouraged because one of three things happen when we let someone speak a dissenting opinion. 1) They could be right. 2) They could be wrong. 3) They could be partially right.

If the dissenter is right, then positive change can take place when we listen to his/her opinion.

If the dissenter is wrong, then we gain a "livelier and clearer impression of our truths through their collision with error."

If the dissenter is partially right, then we stand to add his/her partial truth to our partial truth - giving us the whole truth.

For these reasons, Mill said we should encourage people to speak their minds and should be thankful when they do - we only stand to benefit by hearing them.
I think Mill is right.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Ok I get it... Free Speech for Charlie Sheen, but none for the media.

I just love it when celebrities say stupid and un-patriotic things. Then cry when the public, who then use their own freedom of expression, refuse to watch their movies, buy their CD's.

Freedom of expression for all! Learn the lesson from the Dixie Twits, they have never been the same after their "free speech" disaster.

I couldn't agree more. People like Sheen are all about freedom of speech, as long as it's theirs we're talking about. You have the right to express yourself, but be prepared for a counter. By the way, has Alec Baldwin left for France yet?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rightwingpatriot
People like Sheen are all about freedom of speech, as long as it's theirs we're talking about.

Who's keeping people from speaking freely?

I have yet to see a celebrity cry when the public doesn't buy their CDs and movies. You guys are making stuff up.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

People like Sheen are all about freedom of speech, as long as it's theirs we're talking about.

Who's keeping people from speaking freely?

I have yet to see a celebrity cry when the public doesn't buy their CDs and movies. You guys are making stuff up.

No, the Dixie Twits complained about that very thing a while back.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalki
www.bravocharlie911.com...

Since when is he an expert? I didn't know that Betty Ford was also a university. His views are exactly that....his. I think it's irresponsible to present your own opinions as fact just because you happen to be in the public's eye frequently.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
www.prisonplanet.com...

He quoting you on tv

he says he's asking himself questions and do his own research, he never said he was an expert btw, thumbs up if he helps denying ignorance in the public eyes .. no?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   

No, the Dixie Twits complained about that very thing a while back.

And I'm supposed to believe this because you say it? I don't mean to be a PITA, but I have never seen a quote or heard the Dixie Chicks cry about the treatment they received.

I have even looked for a link, but I can't find anything.

The only people I've heard accuse the Dixie Chicks of crying are the people who hate them for what they said. Do you happen to have a link to what you're alleging? If not, then I don't buy it.

Seriously, I'm curious to see just how much truth there is in Charlie Sheen or the Dixie Chicks 'crying'. Sorry, but the only people I hear crying are you guys...

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

www.prisonplanet.com...

He quoting you on tv

he says he's asking himself questions and do his own research, he never said he was an expert btw, thumbs up if he helps denying ignorance in the public eyes .. no?

Define denying ignorance. I'm just tired of celebrities shooting their mouths off as though they are somehow more informed than eveyone else. Just because your on TV all the time doesn't mean you have the solutions to any or all the worlds problems.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

www.prisonplanet.com...

He quoting you on tv

Define denying ignorance. I'm just tired of celebrities shooting their mouths off as though they are somehow more informed than eveyone else. Just because your on TV all the time doesn't mean you have the solutions to any or all the worlds problems.

www.prisonplanet.com...

He quoting you on tv

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Since when is he an expert? ... I think it's irresponsible to present your own opinions as fact just because you happen to be in the public's eye frequently.

Again, you appear to be fabricating. Charlie Sheen has never presented his opinion as fact or claimed that he's an expert.

I'm just tired of celebrities shooting their mouths off as though they are somehow more informed than eveyone else. Just because your on TV all the time doesn't mean you have the solutions to any or all the worlds problems.

He doesn't claim to be more informed than anyone else or that he has the solutions to all the world's problems.

Man! Where are you getting this stuff? At the same place where Sheen and the Dixie Chicks are crying about censorship?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
How dare you accuse me of fabrication! I'm stating my opinion and your slamming me for it! Stop trying to censor me!

See how ridiculous that sounds? Now insert those words into any given Hollywood moron and I think the point is made.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join