It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handicapped by uncompromising rigidity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
In recent months, I must admit, what was initially a personal search for answers, has produced few, but many questions along the way and much discovery regardless. One thing I have come to realise is that there is very little, if anything, out there that one can know for certain to be true in absolution.

As a result, I've learnt one of the most fundamental concepts of all. That is, that no matter what the subject, what the journey and essentially what solution is being sought after, there must be absolutely no room allowed for any uncompromising rigidity in what you consider to be true. For if you allow the existence of any rigid beliefs without a willingness to compromise on them, you may seriously hinder the chances of reaching an accurate conclusion.

Often, it may not be aparrent, and occasionally, you may be lucky enough to stumble across an accurate assessment in isolated circumstances. However eventually, any uncompromising rigidity that exists in your thought pattern, will significantly reduce the potential for drawing accurate conclusions, via the construction of visible or invisible possibility barriers.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree with you 100%
Not only does it hinder you from reaching an absolute conclusion but it also has been known to cause wars, loss of friendships, and all sorts of nasty things because we can't open our minds to other possibilities outside of our personal beliefs. You got my vote for the way above award.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I totally Agree! But I'm concinved that some here at ATS have as their Motto, "my mind's made up, don't confuse me with the facts"

or......... "The Bible says it, I believe it, end of story"

or as Leonard H. Robbins said:

Be true while there is yet time.
For this is the cry of a thousand souls
that down to the pit have trod
Who keeps the truth from the people
Stands in the way of God.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by whaaa]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately, often due to the obscurity of the link between a rigid belief and the conclusion drawn, many fail to realise the possibilities they are ruling out when making a judgement.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I notice that many here adopt the website motto of denying ignorance, yet don't even realise that the very thing they claim to deny is allowed to run wild through an inability to introduce flexibility into their belief system or possibility spectrum.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more.

The more I read, the more I learn to discern between what I want to hear, what I need to hear, and what I shouldn't know anything about.

Sometimes the quest for personal validation can override the quest for the truth.

Compromise is not always settling for less - sometimes it just helps to reach a middle ground between subjective and objective viewpoints.

This is by far one of the most challenging forums I have come across in that respect...and it has earned a great deal of mine in the process.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I must say if facts were abundantly available, there may very well be a place for uncompromising rigidity, but as far as I'm aware at least, there are very few known facts, thus uncompromising rigidity causes a severe handicap for many.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I have noticed that many with rigid ideologies or dogmatic philosophies use the "deny ignorance" quote when being disagreed with. I guess if you don't share their ideology or dogma with them you are ignorant in their eyes, beneath contempt and fair game for insults. All great ploys for winning people to your side of the argument.
Actually when I see uncompromising rigidity being displayed; it usually makes me look at the otherside in a more favorable light.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That's very true. Many seem to subscribe to the philosphy that it is great to be open minded as long as you see things their way. If not, open mindedness soon transforms to ignorance, in their eyes.

top topics

join