It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korea 'preparing missile launch'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
what dose this mean
TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- North Korea may be preparing to launch a long-range ballistic missile that could reach parts of the United States, Japanese media reports said on Friday, but Japan's government said it did not believe a launch was imminent.

link to cnn

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It means that North Korea has a missile that can reach the United States, and a test launch is coming up.

Yes, that is scary. Let's hope the U.S. Govt. or anyone else doesn't give the N.K.'s a reason/excuse to use it.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It make's perfect sense doesn't it? Bush came right out and said it after 9/11. The Axis of Evil must be defeated. Iraq's occupied, preparation's are underway for Iran, gee I wonder if they might think they're next?

They are preparing the only thing that can level the playing field. A ballistic missile able to reach the appropriate altitude for an ElectroMagnetic Pulse attack on the US!

Are they afraid of our retaliation? I doubt it, the North Korean people are already some of the most mistreated on Earth. Not to mention that an EMP would not kill many American's (if any) outright. So I doubt we could bring ourselve's to nuke the innocent North Korean people. We are far too politically correct for that. Not to mention the fact that the EMP would very likely take satellite's out as well. Seriously hampering Command & Control.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Crazy kim again...
geeez...
cant he go play with his dolls or something?

I have no worries... N korea is basically strapped, capped, and encapsulated...
if they did something to piss of any country, it would be a dog pile on Kim...

The powers that be, are obviously not too concerned, or we would hear the war drums in the distance...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Japan's media claim a 'missile launch' is due and the Japanese government says not.

North Korea has test launched missiles before.

Big deal.

It doesn't seem to me to any reason to go getting agitated about, how many land and sea based missiles (fully tested and with fully tested warheads) does the US have within range of NK, hmmmm?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

North Korea has test launched missiles before.

Big deal.

Famous last words.

It doesn't seem to me to any reason to go getting agitated about, how many land and sea based missiles (fully tested and with fully tested warheads) does the US have within range of NK, hmmmm?

I agree it's nothing to get agitated about. There are enough problem's in life we can actually do something about!
But, do you really think that we would use those fully tested warhead's you mentioned? I don't think one nuke detonated over the US would allow such a response. Especially now, with all the self loathing that already goes on in the US.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
do you really think that we would use those fully tested warhead's you mentioned? I don't think one nuke detonated over the US would allow such a response. Especially now, with all the self loathing that already goes on in the US.

- I think any head of state or government that imagines they could use a weapon like that and not face a terrible retribution in kind is deluded to the point of insanity.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

- I think any head of state or government that imagines they could use a weapon like that and not face a terrible retribution in kind is deluded to the point of insanity.

Unfortunately, an excellent description of Kim Jong Il.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Unfortunately, an excellent description of Kim Jong Il.

- Sorry but I don't buy that whole 'they're just crazy' arguement.

NK has a host of reasons of their own for the way they are and IMO it doesn't just boil down to them having nutters in charge.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I believe it's a mix of both. As I stated previously, I think that they see the writing on the wall as far as being the next Axis of Evil target.

But I am interested in what other reason's they might have. If you don't mind elaborating that is?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I am interested in what other reason's they might have. If you don't mind elaborating that is?

- Not at all.

The NK history is one of attack, invasion and brutal occupation preWW2.

Little wonder then that they are so closed, insullar and unwilling to engage with outsiders - even when it might appear (to those outsiders) that it is in their interests to do so.

Little wonder too that 'defence' assumes such a grossly disproportionate priority to them (it is IMO not an indication of their having a disposition to attack SK rather their own defenceness - in any event comparisons of their military are silly especially when compared to the US's).

They resent the foreigner interferring in Korean affairs, particularly when they know there is a large number (majority?) of SK's who would like closer ties and a winding down of the military tensions.
They know none of this will change not matter what SK feelings are so long as the US has so many tanks etc etc parked on Korean territory.

It's not as simple as just saying 'yankee go home', I agree, but IMO they fear the US and US intentions (and with the way the current US administration is I can't say as I exactly blame them.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Ah, thanks for the reply!

I'm not very knowledgable about Korea's history, but I think I remember something about the North attacking the South. Thereby starting the Korean War. So I'm wondering if that dispute has been resolved to the point where they could actually reintegrate? They seem like, I don't know, complete opposite's!

Cheer's!

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It means they're jealous, what with Iran hogging the headlines.

It sucks being the number two crazy regime, they want their top slot back.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is that an OverSimplification!? Feel's like a Hit & Run!

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
seems to me that japan or someone else thru japan wants to initiate talks with n korea abt rescinding their nuclear arsenal...

just hope those involved will tread carefully coz i think n korea is the only "axis of evil" that shld not be screwed about with threats...

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Yes, that is scary. Let's hope the U.S. Govt. or anyone else doesn't give the N.K.'s a reason/excuse to use it.

Kim Jung Il is a psycho... he'll use it if he wants to use it. Our provocation or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. How much can you trust a guy who wears sweat pants to international meetings?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Ya know, I wonder how close Iran & North Korea actually are? I know that NK sold some missile's to Iran recently. I suppose help with their nuke program is viable too.

I can't imagine what the conversation between Ahmidenijad and Kim Jong Il would look like, but I guarantee it wouldn't be good for anybody! I wonder if NK hasn't made some kind of agreement to help with retaliation if Iran is attacked?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Kim Jung Il is a psycho... he'll use it if he wants to use it. Our provocation or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. How much can you trust a guy who wears sweat pants to international meetings?

youre just bein stupid and naive...if you can only come up with "sweat pants at intl meetings" lol...cmon...we or i would like better thought really...

i like this site coz there are a lot of smart people to argue/debate...but there are also really ****** ones

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
on 2nd thoughts...i apologise for calling you stupid and naive...

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Ya know, I wonder how close Iran & North Korea actually are? I know that NK sold some missile's to Iran recently. I suppose help with their nuke program is viable too.

Maybe, maybe not. It would not surprise me. Both nations are being vilified, they're both in the same boat.

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar I can't imagine what the conversation between Ahmidenijad and Kim Jong Il would look like, but I guarantee it wouldn't be good for anybody!

Kim Jong Il: Oi, Mahmoud! How are you me chum?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Hello Kimmy! Things are alright, getting a bit of lip from those Yanks, but we'll give 'em what for!

Kim Jong Il: Ah, that Bush child getting up your nose too then?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Doesn't he to everybody?

Kim Jong Il: True, true.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: I say Kim! Nice fingernails! Have you had them manicured?

Kim Jong Il: Ah, well, I happen to know this chap who runs this parlour....hmm.
Nice haircut Mahmoud! And I see your beard's had a good trim! Suave!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Kim, you really make me blush.

Kim Jong Il: Call it my lovely charm.

I wonder if NK hasn't made some kind of agreement to help with retaliation if Iran is attacked?

Yes. North Korea sends it's missiles flying, and gets pummeled by 100x that number.

Great help to North Korea and Iran.

Concerning North Korea invading South Korea, this was because of the North Korean belief that South Korea was the last part of Korea to be under foreign occupation (Ie by the US military presence) that needed to be liberated for Korea to be free at last from foreign occupation, (before the partition of Korea, there was Japanese occupation)

North Korea's thoughts was that it was the true government of Korea in exile from Seoul, being located in Pyongyang.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join