It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the deal with women thinking Tony Soprano is sexy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I don't know if you have come across any women in your life that have said they think Tony Soprano is hot, but I have come across a few. Don't get me wrong, I love the show, The Sopranos. But, this guy is over weight with a big gut, balding with a big V carved into his skull, walks like a duck....etc. and treats women like garbage.

I read I believe in TV guide that some women think he is sexy because "he can provide them with anything they want." I guess you can get whatever you want if you sell your soul to the devil too.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
He's Hawt!!

[edit on 19/5/06 by crookedblue]

[edit on 19/5/06 by crookedblue]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I personally think he is quite unattractive and have found myself asking the same question. I have came to the conclusion that other women must like the bad guy image, or the fact that he has so much power over so many people on the show.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
he's like a bald joey buttafuco

joeydunkindonuts

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think it's because he looks like a giant baby!
They can't help themsleves.

A giant baby, with a gun.. I think thats it..

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This is easy.

Tony Soprano is a provider. He takes care of business. He's strong, willful, and intelligent.

Women aren't remotely as shallow as folks seem to think that they are - as long as they can find a man who will be a good provider and caretaker, that far outweighs the superficialness of looks.

Basic gender psychology 101.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bripe Klmun
This is easy.

Tony Soprano is a provider. He takes care of business. He's strong, willful, and intelligent.

Women aren't remotely as shallow as folks seem to think that they are - as long as they can find a man who will be a good provider and caretaker, that far outweighs the superficialness of looks.

Basic gender psychology 101.

Yeah but don't you think women would prefer a man who provided for them without having to do highly illegal and dangerous things constantly? And the way he is constantly sleeping with other women isn't that attractive either.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
My wife tells me she's very attracted to balding, overweight guys like TS and the guy from NYPD Blues, etc.

I wonder why she married me then...

Oh yeah, now I remember...

[edit on 23-5-2006 by mecheng]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Because men are socially enabled and encouraged to exploit women and women are habituated to being economically and physically disadvantaged. It's a psychological coping mechanism called 'identifying with the aggressor.' The faulty but natural logic to this system says - If I'm friend's with the biggest baddest dog on the block, maybe he won't bite me.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by clearwater]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Women probably think he's hot cause he's the STAR of a HIT SERIES on television. The money, the fame...you know thats what 95% of women look for these days. A free ride and someone they can make some money off of in a divorce...PLAIN AND SIMPLE...I mean how else would an overweight, balding criminal(in his show) be sexy to women??? Money talks baby

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dno117
Women probably think he's hot cause he's the STAR of a HIT SERIES on television. The money, the fame...you know thats what 95% of women look for these days. A free ride and someone they can make some money off of in a divorce...PLAIN AND SIMPLE...I mean how else would an overweight, balding criminal(in his show) be sexy to women??? Money talks baby

We're actually discussing a fictional character on a television show, not the actor that portrays him. It's also pretty sad that you have such a pathetic outlook on women. Deny ingnorance, dno117.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Sorry, but I said 95% of the women out there, not ALL WOMEN. This is a place to post your opinions on the thread subject, no? Dont worry, I'm not a woman hater, I'm just a hater of the scheming most of them do....but dont worry, men aren't innocent either. I'm sorry that most of the experiences I've had with women lead to the issues of money and materialism. Maybe I'm not meeting the right ones??? Just based off my experiences...sorry to offend

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Who cares about tony, the women in the show are damned hot! Especially this new one that his son is messing around with!

Women that like the character don't like him because of his physique, though there is something to the idea that he is a big guy and therefore can protect them. They are generally attracted to him because he's a violent and powerful maniac, and, well, people like violence and power.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
They are generally attracted to him because he's a violent and powerful maniac, and, well, people like violence and power.

And don't discount the maniac part.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I love posts like this because it demonstrates how little people understand the rules of attraction.
Especially those that are the first to scream how shallow women are and then fail to see that a overweight, balding man could be attractive.

I'm not a hit fan of the show nor of Tony, but desire can manifest itself in many forms. And one thing I can tell you about women is that our tastes run the gamut. Some like the dangerous bad boys; some like the idea of reformation; some like handsome or pretty, others prefer charisma.

For my part I'll take an intelligent, funny, verbose man with a hint of vulnerablity who can make me laugh and keep up his end of the conversation.

You can keep the waxen Ken dolls.

For those of you expressing disbelief that the Tonys of this world can be sexy - no wonder you have no idea what women like - you are clueless

I'll let you in on a little secret too - some very good looking women I know are into geeks. Not the kind that sit around and complain about how only the guys with all the money get the girls; but the interesting ones, the ones with personalities.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The issue of the character being attractive is clearly related to shallowness. The women who are attracted to him aren't attracted to him phsyically, and they aren't attracted to his 'kind gentle spirit', since he has none. Its a shallow interest in power, wealth, strength, gift-giving, etc.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't really think one can make that sort of judgement call. If there is a liking for violence, power, strength, then it is probably more deeply rooted than merely superficial and thus not shallow. We humans are highly complex, especially when it comes to desire - which is never as straight foward as it seems.

Except of course if we are just talking eye candy. But even that goes through some sorting process.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't think that if its deep rooted that its not 'shallow' and superficial, in the usual sense. Being attracted to attractive people is deep rooted in our minds, but we'd say its shallow.

We'd say a person has a deep relationship if its not based merely on appearance, money, protection, etc. That if its an involvment of two personalities on an extensive level, beyond mere material worth, its deep, and not superficial. The Soprano character only has superficial relationships, even with his own family. He doesn't actually interact with any of them as people, but only as the relationship he has with them, 'this is how a husaband is supposed to act' or 'this is how a father is supposed to act' or 'this is how a captain in a crew is supposed to act' and 'this is how a boss is supposed to act around his employees', etc etc.

top topics

join