It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

to the americans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
why do you call your sport football when half the time its being carried and thrown thrown around like rugby

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
We had a huge thread about this not long ago, started by Dr. Love.

Of course, we won in the end, the arguments ended up being about which sport is better. But it was still clear - Football = Football, American Football = Handball, Soccer = Dirty word.

Simple!

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
because we kicked your redcoat arses and can call it whatever we'd like, that's why!!! (insert laughing face here, i don't know how to make that thing)

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Yep, and the rest of the world calls your 'sport' Armoured Wankball.

BTW didn't the French help you out on that one? Shouldn't you be playing Boulles or somesuch?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
d'oh!!!

i was hoping you guys would forget that one...:bnghd:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I despise soccer, but American Football should be called ''Rugby Ripoff with more armour'', not football, they don't even use their bloody feet!

Oh yeah, the French, that was low guys.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
hey now, let's not start ripping on it. i love my steelers just as much as you guys like warsaw, or whatever team you cheer for.

ps - at least we don't play cricket.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents

ps - at least we don't play cricket.

I know the French thing was low, but CRICKET? Come on, the 'sport' sucks man!

PS- at least we don't run to the French.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
When American Football was first played, there was a great deal more punting and kickoffs than there are today. Rule and strategy changes have significantly increased the amount of time the ball is thrown and carried.

Think about it: The beginning of the game is started with a kick, and every series of plays starts and ends with a kick. It makes perfect sense to call it Football.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
No, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever mate, rugby has kicking in it, but it's not called Football.

Don't get me wrong, I love American Football, I just don't think It should be called Football.

PS- I rule.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I love American-style football, especially at the college level. However, I think you are all missing the point of the game. It is really a game of controlled warfare. Seriously, it has more in common in some ways with the game of Risk than it does with soccer or rugby. And I think there is way more to the game than either of those.

It's all about "conquering" territory by intricate strategies through the use of ground and air attacks by the offense against the defense. Even some of the terminology such as using "in the trenches" to describe the line of scrimmage bear out what I"m saying.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I know the French thing was low, but CRICKET? Come on, the 'sport' sucks man!

PS- at least we don't run to the French.

heh. we might have crawled to the french when we were infants, but you were a fully established nation when we had to save you (and all of europe) from Germany. i attribute that solely to our game of football and the afore-mentiond likeness to military strategy.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Great here we go again. Just what we need, another American vs Europe war! :shk:

Does it really matter what it's called? A name is just a label right? To me it's just another stupid sport that American men watch and use as an excuse to drink and act stupid. :w:

I am an American, yet if I hear the phrases "We beat you in the revolutionary war" or "Don't make us have to bail you out again like in WW2." or anything similar to those phrases for the millionth time, I swear I'm going to be sick.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Yeah this has been done before!! the whole world bar america call it football so i think we know who wins that argument.

Why not argue over why us English call them trousers and the states call them pants

please continue

[edit on 19-5-2006 by DodgeG1]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
oh, come on, it was all in jest. it's not like we're seriosuly fighting over this crap.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Its because a Football is a foot long.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Its because a Football is a foot long.

so's a subway sandwhich but they aint called football lol

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That is a very silly comment, it doesn't even relate.:bnghd:

P.S. they do call it a foot long.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

oh, come on, it was all in jest. it's not like we're seriosuly fighting over this crap.

I know my post sounded super serious, but mine was all in jest as well. However I have heard my fellow Americans use the Revolutionary and WW2 comment way too many times. The "you fat yanks" thing the English always say is annoying too.

I would like to point out that I take neither side in this issue by the way.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

when we had to save you (and all of europe) from Germany.

Now I know we were having a joke around, but seriosuly don't bring WW2 into this, no-one saved no-one, Russia ended the war.

I don't see this getting to out of hand myself, were just having a joke, just keep the whole war thing out of it yeah?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join