It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US-Led Anti Terrorism Campaign in the Pacific

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
US President Bush yesterday announced a $US5.4 million fund to fight terror in the Asia Pacific to be administered by the Asian Development Bank.

FULL STORY

Now, while I may agree that terrorism is something we all need to be mindful of, I am also concerned that any Anti-terrorism Campaign in my little corner of the world will be run by the US. I have great misgivings about the possibility America might gain some form of military control/influence in this region...

...call me paranoid and distrustful, but if American troops were stationed on NZ soil to 'protect' the Pacific, or to utilise NZ soil as some Pacific 'staging point' for any operations...I would be unsure just WHO the real enemy would be. More than likely any operations in this area would be from Australia...in which case, meh, who cares what happens to the Aussies...

Interestingly, there is also a little poll on that story...I'll have to check back to see what other Kiwis think later on...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I find it doubtful that you will see the US with "troops" upon your beautiful soil Alien, of coarse, we are not counting the US ships visiting and using port facilities, etc.

I do find it interesting that Ms. Clark is 'backing' this or should I quote her as implying: "Ms Clark said while she did not know the details of Mr Bush's proposal, she understood America's position."
Also of note in your article:
"Ms Clark meets Mr Bush about 10pm (today, NZ time) where terrorism and New Zealand's free-trade prospects are on the agenda."

I found this article in relation to what I "bolded" above:
"New Zealand hopes to revive talks with US"
Link:
straitstimes.asia1.com.sg...

Relatively short article:
"BANGKOK - Hoping tensions over the Iraq war have eased, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark said yesterday her country was rebuilding US support to revive free trade talks abruptly cancelled by Washington in May.

'I think everybody has moved on from Iraq,' she said on the same day that US President George W. Bush rewarded close ally Thailand with the launch of talks towards a free trade deal.

New Zealand's hopes of similar negotiations with its second-largest trading partner were dashed in May when the United States said such talks would raise too many objections from US farmers. New Zealand's opposition to the US-led invasion of Iraq also figured in the US decision. -- Reuters"

I also found it interesting to note that NE has approxly. 225 million neighboring Indonesian Muslims....and a number of 'confirmed' terrorist organizations within reach or operating in Indonesia and Malaysia, etc.

I do hope all fairs well, despite what Ms. Clark has mentioned and said in the past. Let bye-gones be bye-gones, right? I think things will go smoothly though, at least, I certainly hope Bush left the "cowboy" pistols at home.

Peace.

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   
...well...theres the rub isn't it...

1. NZ has a Nuclear-Free policy, no nuclear weapons or nuclear powered vessels in our territorial waters. Which America has been leaning heavily on us about for some time, waving trade 'hiccups' in our face if we don't repeal that Policy and allow their big ships in our ports.

2. NZ wants overseas investment/trade...American trade means a great deal. So...it looks like its going to come down to a bit of a tradeoff, one for the other, much to the disappointment of many Kiwis. But then our Govt at times seems alot like many other countries Govts in that now and then what the people want doesn't mean diddly if there's money to be made.

Helen Clarke stood by her guns during the whole Iraq 'incident' with her rather loose lips saying very naughty things about America and President Bush *bad Helen bad*, but now seems to be back peddling in order to secure some free trade. Wonder if she seasons her words with a little salt and pepper before eating them...or maybe she just dips them in a little tomato sauce (or ketchup if the trade talks go well)

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I really don't know Alien....world politics is about as discernable as trying to define God....maybe not that bad but I hope you get the jest.

I think every nation is entitled to a 'stance'....we are a "world community" after all, aren't we.....at least the internet makes us such anyhow....go figure.

I tend to think things will work out for the best, despite the 'stance' previously taken....again, NZ is entitled to her sovereignty and thus her right to express how NZ feels. Bush needs to tone down his # though and this would be a prime opportunity for him to show just that.

regards
seekerof

top topics

join