It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw pics of US soldiers on the internet and..........

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
WheelsRCool, Kalashnikov did an interview where he claimed the US soldiers are using his weapons in preference to their own standard-issue gear, do you suppose some news agencies took that and ran with it, or what?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qoelet
Maybe I am repeating a point here, but werent US APC and tank crews using AKs because of the logistical miscalculation that after the 'cessesion of military operations' such crews wouldn't need to be issued light arms and body armour vitally needed for the 'peacekeeping' style urban control operations that are underway now?

And I don't say this just as a flagrent bash... logistical srewups happen in ALL wars, and the bigger the operation the increased likelyhood of mistakes by the stratagests and bean counters (the MoD here in the UK are famous for their supply screwups).

Given that kinda choice, I would go with an AK47 any day!

Q

I'd recommend an AKS-74M or an AN-94 Abakan, both with underbarrel grenade launchers and sniper scopes or nightvision scopes or red dot sights.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

Originally posted by Senor_Vicente
Not AKs. M4s made to take 7.76 mm I believe, or whatever size mag AKs use. They were made so that Soldiers need not to carry so many of their own mags in to battle, they could pick u what the enemy was using.
www.securityarms.com...
There is link to a whole page with a picture about SR47s

Nope, they ARE AKs (mostly clones). The SR-47 you are speaking about was only bought in small numbers and, as your own link says, by the USSOCOM.

Originally posted by Russian soldier
Some of them were armed with AK-47s! What's up with that? Arn't their weapons more effective then AK-47s? Why do they have them? Do they really use them in combat? Or do they just pose with them?

I am quit aware of that.

As Westy said, a majority of the pics, even those when they are seen in "urban" terrain, are posing. The second most cause is that these AKs have just been taken away from someone, usually the soldiers will have their regular rifles over their shoulders, too. Lastly, SOME soldiers in Iraq used them when there was a shortage of own ammunition/equipment during the transitional time between the end of the war and the begin of the resisitance, as was described above.

the number of soldiers that really pick up an AK because they feel it is better is very limited, because any random AK picked up on the streets is a potential threat of being rigged, or simply are so worn out that they dont hit anything. After all, the CO has to allow it.

The SVDs and Tabuk sniper rifles wereused when it became apparent that with the short M4s, coupled with the usual CQC optics mounted, they needed a DMR to reach out farther than 300m. This has been compensated by reworked M14 that returned into service.

While the US is using AK-47s Russia is using AN-94s
While the US is using SVD, Russia is using SV-98s.
Lol, just kidding, US got their own arsenal. And those old weapons ain't as bad after all.

Sorry, but Russia still uses the AK-74M. The AN-94 is way too expensive for the Russian forces as a general issue rifle. Also, the Russian forces still use the SVD (and its variants) in the context it has always been used: as a DMR. the SV-98 is a dedicated sniper rifle and is used accordingly, but these tasks are non-interchangeable.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by vinrock

While the US is using AK-47s Russia is using AN-94s
While the US is using SVD, Russia is using SV-98s.
Lol, just kidding, US got their own arsenal. And those old weapons ain't as bad after all.

Somebody please tell me about gold colored weapons! What's up with that? Why are they gold?

Are Russian troops being issued Nikonov's? I haven't looked into it since the 94' was publicly introducted, but I remember hearing that was Izmash having problems making major sales to Russia based on cost of the new Rifle.

I'm dyin' to shoot one of those babies. Just gotta figure out how to find one in the US...

Some troops are, particularly Spetsnaz. Russia can't afford to replace ALL Aks with ANs.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I agree with most posts here, but I think that the AK, with 8 moving parts, compared to the M4, with many more moving parts, brutally tighter tolerances and a bad, bad habit of jamming with any errant grain of sand in the receiver, the AK is a more stable and trustworthy battle arm... I have used them covered in mud, after setting them in a sand pit for a few hours, and the reliability is amazing... They can fire a rock if need be, with the proper propellant.... God bless the pl' M4 and '16, but the AK 47 and 74 are better suited for the sand laden conditions over in Afghanistan and Iraq...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Why do you think AK-47 is so widespread? (besides being so cheap, its actually not too bad, for a weapon that was made right after World War-2)

My friend saw a program on the discovery channel about AKs and it showed people firing an AK-47 at a house and THE AK WOULD SHOOT RIGHT THROUGH!

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Yeah those are the ones that they are picking up in Iraq in large numbers. Amazing they work so well considering how old they can be, Kalashnikov was the man

Ive also seen pictures of US troops using the SVD a fine sniper rifle aswell.

Check out some of these pictures
link

The burning pics make me sad though
I would pay a good amount for one of those Gold SVD from Iraq just for a show piece

Same here about the burning weapons man. I wish I had an AK-47
. I love shooting targets and things. I was upset today because I went to this gun shop and we were about to buy another AR-15 when the guy said we had to have Proof of Citizenship lol. Well...I guess thats Virginia laws for ya.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You have to have proof of citizenship to buy an AR-15?????!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.
that's some bs. If I were in your place I would ask THEM for THEIR citizenship

The US troops probably just run out of ammo and pick up an AK. They probably kill some insurgents and take the AKs just in case they need them. Also, there is no denying the AK's firepower.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is just speculation but I would imagine special forces in Iraq like to use AKs for some missions because they can remain undetected. Just think if your enemy is using AKs which have a distinct sound you could come up their rear or flank and they wouldn't be able to hear you when you opened up.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
How sure are you that these were US troops?

A news report I was watching the other day had Iraqi troops patroling a neighbourhood in full interceptor body armour and what looked like US communications gear. They were carrying AK's instead of M4's.

My understanding was that Iraqi forces don't have Interceptor body armour as standard issue, so could it have been a publicity shot of a showpiece Iraqi unit?

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allanon
...so could it have been a publicity shot of a showpiece Iraqi unit?

Or it could be an Iraqi Special Forces unit, they are usually equipped with somewhat better gear and are better trained than the average Iraqi grunt. Most likely that’s what you saw.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
If I were a soldier in Iraq I would defiantely have an Ak inplace of an M-16. M-16 is crap. The round is too light and it's not built for the Desert. You have to keep it impecibly clean and can only fire semi auto unless you want it to jam on you.

On another note if your carrying around an AK and lets say some really big battles break out you can just pick up clips from dead Iraqis.

Iraq is far from over. I believe that when the US attacks Iran the occupation in Iraq is going to get over run and many more will die. Units being cut off and surrounded and as such. Carrying an AK would definately be a good idea for US troops at this point. Or at least having some extra Ak clips.

You never know.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You have to have proof of citizenship to buy an AR-15?????!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.
that's some bs. If I were in your place I would ask THEM for THEIR citizenship

The US troops probably just run out of ammo and pick up an AK. They probably kill some insurgents and take the AKs just in case they need them. Also, there is no denying the AK's firepower.

Yes I was so mad about it. We drove an hour and a half to get to the place and they tell us we need proof of citizenship to buy an AR-15. Not super decked out or anything. Just a standard AR-15 with a collapseable stock.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by SurfOBBC]

[edit on 21-5-2006 by SurfOBBC]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by vinrock
Are Russian troops being issued Nikonov's? I haven't looked into it since the 94' was publicly introducted, but I remember hearing that was Izmash having problems making major sales to Russia based on cost of the new Rifle.

I'm dyin' to shoot one of those babies. Just gotta figure out how to find one in the US...

Russian soldier is right AN-94s are mainly in Russian Special forces and some Russian SWAT teams hands. This seems to really be a cost issue because those rifles are not cheap to make.

I dont think its too likely that we will ever see a AN-94 or even a civilian variant in the US. The AN-94s best feature IMHO 2 shot burst + its unique recoil system, which allows you to put 2 bullets through the same hole will never be on a civilian US rifle because of the selective fire mode.

Its hard to say if they might produce any version since they made a civilian P90 (my brother just bought one) and I thought we would never see a civilian version of it in the states but we did.

If they do make a civilian version down the line It would have to be a really watered down version and you wouldnt have the great 2 shot burst feature

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Any chance that the captured SVD's are being used to cause some confusion by the sound they make. In other words, the bad guys can't readily indentify that they are being fired on by US forces?

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I never heard of any U.S. soldiers using AK-47s in Iraq unless there was an emergency. The AK-47 DESIGN is a very good rifle, but the ACTUAL AK-47's in Iraq are mostly pieces of crap from my understanding.

It would not make sense to use AK-47s. They use different ammunition then the M-4, and the M-4 has equipment for it like laser sights, laser sights that work in conjunction with the soldier's night-vision goggles, etc...plus the AK-47 is fully automatic, and the soldiers don't like fully-automatic assault rifles.

And contrary to popular belief, the M-4 won't jam incredibly easy with a tiny bit of sand in it. The M-4 also has a higher accuracy than the AK-47. Soldiers find loads of AK's in Iraq though, so they probably burn off the rounds to them that they find.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I know I saw a thing on TV once that was about Afghanistan and they showed US special forces who had big beards, wore some local looking clothing and sported AKs. I was trying to find some pictures of them but unsucessful, but I did find 2 articles of interest in regards to US soldiers using AKs in Iraq

vikingphoenix.com...

www.sacbee.com...

This is from the last link

The soldiers based around Baqouba are from an armor battalion, which means they have tanks, Humvees and armored personnel carriers. But they are short on rifles.
A four-man tank crew is issued two M4 assault rifles and four 9mm pistols, relying mostly on the tank's firepower for protection.

But now they are engaged in guerrilla warfare, patrolling narrow roads and goat trails where tanks are less effective. Troops often find themselves dismounting to patrol in smaller vehicles, making rifles essential.

"We just do not have enough rifles to equip all of our soldiers. So in certain circumstances we allow soldiers to have an AK-47. They have to demonstrate some proficiency with the weapon ... demonstrate an ability to use it," said Lt. Col. Mark Young, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment, 4th Infantry Division.

Bailey, who couldn't see who was firing, had an AK-47 on his lap and his M4 up front. The choice was simple.

"I put the AK on auto and started spraying," Bailey said.

Some soldiers also say it's easier to get ammo for the AK - they can pick it up on any raid or from any confiscated weapon.

"It's plentiful," said Sgt. Eric Harmon, a tanker who has a full 75-round drum, five 30-round magazines, plus 200-300 rounds in boxes for his AK. He has about 120 rounds for his M16.

I also like this part

Some troops say the AK is easier to maintain and a better close-quarters weapon. Also, it has "some psychological affect on the enemy when you fire back on them with their own weapons," McCarson said.

You think using the enemys weapon against them really has any real psychological effects

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I have heard over another forum it was/is common practice for say Abrams crews (issued two M-4's) to take AK's so that all the crewmembers possessed a rifle weapon.

Our army is planning replacement of the venerable Samopal vz.58 assault rifle (similar in appearance to AK but completely different inside except the cartridge used) with a smaller weapon. There was a project called Lada in 5.45mm (in fact built around AK-74 receiver), later the 5.56mm version was introduced (CZ-2000), but due to bdgetary reasons wasn't accepted and now it's already outdated. From what I've gathered G-36 is being considered to replace vz.58 in the future, but nothing reliable...

Slovakia introduced Sa. 58VM version with Picantinny rails on the foregrip and flash suppressor for elite units, but dunno how large production is.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tuccy
I have heard over another forum it was/is common practice for say Abrams crews (issued two M-4's) to take AK's so that all the crewmembers possessed a rifle weapon.

Thats exactly what that article talks about. Tank and vehicle crews use captured Aks so ever crew memeber has a rifle. The article talks about how its not a big deal since the AKs are concealed away inside the vehicle, but infantry troops arent carrying them with the exception of some spec/cover ops I would imagine.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
Thats exactly what that article talks about. Tank and vehicle crews use captured Aks so ever crew memeber has a rifle. The article talks about how its not a big deal since the AKs are concealed away inside the vehicle, but infantry troops arent carrying them with the exception of some spec/cover ops I would imagine.

Took me a long time to write the post ;o) Begun before you've posted the article, but in the middle got sth urgent
The school is killing me

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join